Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

8 seguidores Seguir

DJM2000 or DJM900 - what to buy?

Dear all,

I am about to purchase a new set-up, CDJ2000s are a cert, but I cant decide on a mixer - DJM900 or DJM2000.

The second hand cost of each is the same so that does not come into the equation, and I don't mind waiting for the imminent DJM2000 firmware update.

Your views would be most appreciated.

L

Looshus

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.

14 comentarios

Hello Looshus,

Well I'm owning a DJM 2000 by myself. And I "was" quite happy with it.

Later after buying the DJM 2000 I got some chance to play with the DJM 900 Nexus. And say what, just since i played with the 900, I am always thinking of selling the 2000 to get the Nexus.

The Effects on the 900 are just more intuitive than the DJM 2000's. For me the Nexus gives me much more prossibilities and Style in combining effects. And you have Post Faders, Post Fader Effects in the Color Effects Section, more Effects on the Beat FX Section, like the Spiral or the Melodic (great Effects!) And the Touch Strip on the 900 is just great to get instant, good sounding Effects.

Well with the 2000 it feels like you are much slower to get the Effects working like you want to hear them.

And the touchscreen Effects are mostly useless.

But the best way to find out what fits best for you, go in your local Music shop and test both of them!

But in my Opinion I would choose the 900 Nexus. :/

eLem3ntx 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

@eLem3ntx, thanks for your feedback.

I didn't realise the 2000 does not have post fader effects.  I have played on both but only briefly, there seems to be some confusion over what is 'top of the range', especially if 2000 owners are wanting the 900 instead.

Do you use the sampler on the 2000 much? or has it lost it's appeal?

Looshus 0 votos

Well the Cross-Fader is a Post Fader and it works fine with the Delays and the Echo or the Reverb (I think so). But the 2000 even hasn't those Poster Fader Effects anyway.

I have never used a single gig the sampler on the 2000. And overall I used it for testing somehow 3 or 4 times over 1 1/2 Jear.

The sampler could be real great if it would work like an additional Roll or can be stored on the Computer, or more than 8sec.

But you just can send the sample to one of your CDJ's.

So yes it never got it's appeal. I don't know anybody who has ever effectively used the Sampler on the 2000.

eLem3ntx 0 votos

I could see it used well for scratching a particular element of a tune on the spare deck while the unaffected tune can continue beneath.

Looshus 0 votos

2000 vs 900 is simply personal preference.  The effects on the 2000 are very powerful, and a lot of fun if you spend time learning about them and how to get the best out of them.  The 900's effects are more 'instant' - you press the button, you get the effect.

Bear in mind the 2000 has the built in network switch, making Pro Link much more straight forward.  Perfectly possible with the 900, but you just have to buy a separate network switch.  Also I believe the 900's soundcard is better, simply because it is a more recent addition to Pioneer's product range.

No matter how you see it, the product position is thus:  2000 = flagship, 900 = club standard.

I've had a 2000 since release, and even now I can't decide between the 2000 and 900.  I had a play on a 900 at BPM last year and it didn't 'grab' me and I still have my 2000 so I guess that says something!

Mark90 0 votos

@Mark90, thanks, pulling me back!

Can you confirm if the 2000 has quantised effects - e.g. transform effect sticks with the beatgrid of the tune playing even when you change the tempo on the deck.

Looshus 0 votos

Yes the 2000 has quantised effects - you'll need to make sure the firmware is upgraded to at least v2 to enable this feature.

Mark90 0 votos

I also own a DJM-2000, have been playing on a few DJM-900s but they just feel 'less' to me.

I am also a music producer and I just like all the functions that it has..

There was a point I was quite unhappy with my mixer due to the lack of updates and support from Pioneers side but i am still hoping for the best.

Anyway, I would pick a 2000 any day over the 900.

Carl 0 votos

I HAD a 900, but I sold him.... I now have a DJM 2000 :-)

Before that I had a DJM 700...  when I got the 900, It didn't feel that I had a new mixer.

The djm 2000 has a better layout for me.

If you compare the effects... The djm 2000 wins.

The effects are fast accessible. they are not on a selector switch.

The 900 has the touch strip. But on the 2000 you can pretty much do the same :) you just have to press the knobs..

And the best thing is that you can select the EFFECT FREQUENCY !!

Belive me.. that is verry use full , I use it all the time.

example : And echo on the 900 will sound very heavy. The bass will sound loud....

On the djm 2000 you can use an echo only on the MID...  you can echo vocals etc .

As for the touch screen...  For me it isn't usable.

The side chain  effects are useless for me.

I NEVER use the touch screen...  I hope a new update will change that :)

Good luck with choosing your mixer!!

TheOne 0 votos

All,  thank you for your comments.   I have decided to go with the 900 for the following reasons:

1. The style of music I mix is high tempo and fast paced so I dont have a massive amount of time to be fiddling with effects, so I just want effects that are ready to use at the touch of a button, so the way the effects are implemented on the 900 is of more appeal.

2. I have quicker access to hpf/lpf with the colour effects knob going from -100 to +100, rather than 0 to +100 with two buttons.

3. The sound card on the 900 is better.

4. There are many features on the 2000 that, after a time, I would never use (although I wish the 900 had effect freq. for the echo/delay, and a sampler thrown in!).

5. Again with my style of music there's not much call for the 7band eq.

6. Finally, I feel that in 5 years time it will be the 900 that is in all of the clubs and the 2000 will probably have been discontinued.

The 2000 does seem a beast of a mixer, and those that own one seem happy with it, but I think the 900 is better suited to me.

Thank you all for your input, and if you have anything more to add then please do.

Loosh

Looshus 0 votos

I owned the djm 900 nexus and it is great mixer. Before I chose this mixer it was a toss up between this and the djm 2000. The djm 2000 in my opinion didn't feel right. Not just the layout but the overall feel of the mixer itself. The djm 900 on the other hand felt like a well built high quality mixer. When you start using key features such as the x pad to utilize effects such as the slip roll, roll and spiral you will love the instant results you get back. Now if you are going in wanting the most effect features than the djm 2000 might be the best bet. Maybe excluding a few minor things In my opinion the djm 900 can do the same and at times more than what the djm 2000 can offer at this point. The djm 2000 freq. effect selectors are good and the sampler maybe be something to think about. Other than that the djm 900 has a x pad , spiral, space and a better over all feel aswell as a more welcoming layout.

I guess you won't loose in the long run as long as you know that the djm 900 is not a leap over the djm 800 but more of a step in the right direction. While the djm 2000 would also be a good choice as long as you keep in my mind there may be a short adjustment needed to get use to the feel of the layout aswell as realize many of the touch screen features that made the mixer stand out are not something that can be implemented or useful as it set out to be maybe the next update will fix that soon.

DJ NVASION 0 votos

I think this could be a problem a lot of djs are afraid of the lay out of the djm 2000 and dont like change and to be honest when you do get used of it the djm 2000 layout is a lot better than the djm 900.

djsd 0 votos

I don't have any experience of the djm900 but do have history with other djm's and own a 500 , 700 , and now a 2000 , and feel the whole system of cdj2000's and a djm2000 a very powerful and fluid system to use with a layout that any Pioneer vetran will have no problem picking up. (NOT FANBOY BULL !)The 2k is pretty much the same layout as all past djm's but with an effects bank down the middle of the desk  with a few extra's that you willl get with any new mixer and when you use it your eyes are in the middle of the mixer instead wandering around a booth as with peripherals .So the 2k is not a layout to be afraid of as you will pick it up fast ,for ease of use and connectability the 2000 has many plus signs but the choice is yours so way up the pro's and con's listed in these forums and spend your money on what suits your needs both have problems but both will get fixes ,I went with the 2k for the quality and the complete system feel that has future for me without having to upgrade but add to as nothing here is on the cheap side . It Works for me but this is your call ! Looking forward for the update though .

D Mark Mills 0 votos

Well after much deliberation I nearly brought a 2000, then 900, then had second thoughts about the amount of cash I was about to spend and nearly went for the 850 or even a second hand 800, but then I was offered an amazing deal on a 900 and just couldn't turn it down.

Only been able to play on it for an hour or so but I am very happy :-D. This thing just oozes quality.

Thank you all for your help, may post another update in the future. L

Looshus 0 votos