Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

5 seguidores Seguir

ALAC compatibility

Will rekordbox or the CDJ-2000 likely to ever be compatible with Apple Lossless audio codec (ALAC)?

I have so many files in this format, and don't really want to convert them to AIFF. Many thanks for your responses in advance.

Stereojack

La publicación no admite más comentarios.

12 comentarios

@Stereojack > Sorry, there are no plans to implement ALAC at this time -- but I'll add it to the list of suggested file formats for future consideration.

Pulse 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

@Stereojack > The problem with all the different files types and supporting them is that someone, at the end of the day, has to get the $$$ for licensing fees. Therefore, its just not possible to support every file type available but Pioneer does try to support the most common files types (e.g. MP3, WAV etc).

Gavin 0 votos

I understand that. Whilst I take your point, I don't know how much more it would cost Pioneer. They already support AIFF which is an Apple based extension. Would the support of ALAC be too much to ask?/cost too much? For me ALAC seems like the practical format; exactly the same as AIFF in terms of quality (when uncompressed), just much less disc space.

Stereojack 0 votos

FLAC is an even better choice because it's open-source (license-free), but the bigger problem is supporting every format that every person says they want.  We'd wind up with 100 formats and problems up the wazoo.

Pulse 0 votos

Well, I can only think of six audio formats that anyone would use really; MP3, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, and WAV.

At the moment, we're 2/3rds there. Not bad! Although...I did just try to play an AIFF file on my 2000 and I got the format error message. Strange? The file has the extension .aif, not .aiff.

Is there any difference?

Stereojack 0 votos

I can think of only 3 formats worth using: FLAC, AIFF and WAV.  ;)

Shouldn't make a difference with the file extension -- how did you encode the AIFF?  Might be outside the operating parameters.

Pulse 0 votos

I used dBpoweramp to convert an ALAC to an AIFF.

I'm currently in the process of re-ripping all of my cds into ALACs, since the first time I did it about a decade ago, I ripped in 192kbps mp3s (ignorant on file formats and quality at the time)...such a hassle! Definitely needs doing though.

Stereojack 0 votos

With so many people using Apple computers, especially DJs and Musicians, and 95% of them using iTunes, it's absurd to leave out support for Apple's own LOSSLESS music format, and furthermore, to blame it on saving licensing money when CDJ prices are in the thousands.

david 0 votos

@David > The CDJs are not 'in the thousands' because Pioneer make a huge profit on each one. They don't. They have to charge the high price because of the components they use and the extensive R&D process they undertake (as well as a million and one other factors).

Yes, a lot of people use Apple computers. A lot of people also use PCs. And Pioneer has chosen to support some of the most common formats that work on multiple platforms.

We're not using the licensing fees as a scapegoat, thats the reality.

Gavin 0 votos

I personally use Apple Lossless for ripping my "everyday listening" music collection, but all of the music I use for DJing stays in AIFF.  The way I see it, this is the safest and least complicated method.  Hard drive space is not a major issue anymore.  I don't see the need for compression, lossless or otherwise, for music in a performance setting.

Fuse Promote 0 votos

ALAC goes open source now. So I think they must support ALAC!!

Nori 0 votos

I am marking this thread as closed because the engineers have this on their list for future products however there is no guarantee it will be supported.  Thank you all for your suggestions and patience.

Pulse 0 votos