Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

1 seguidor Seguir

Rekordbox- actualization of music collection/ratings of music

Hey,

since I´m new to the forum I like to say hello to all. First of all I want to say that you guys are doing a great job here and I would like not either forget the guys at the development department of Pioneer- it is rightly the industry standard. I´m playing now for far more as 20 years as DJ, did the change from Vinyl to CDs with the CDJs and now the change to the 2000s and hard disks. I got the need to do it because my repertoire as allround DJ is now just to big & deep even for a personal structured CD-System.

I have read the others threads in front of posting- if I had missed something (what could be the answer to my questions): sorry for that!

Actual system:

CDJ-2000- Firmware 4.05 / Rekordbox- Firmware 1.5.1

(just in the change, not played with them live so far but got it/ learning status)

Maybe it´s also in interest for others- my approach to a good structure is this:

• main source to play will be by military certifcated hard disks (guarded against vibrations & humidity/wetness)

• Folder structure like structure CD-Bags (easy transfer from old to new system, good back-up to go back if needed for any reason)

• any file named Title_Artist_Mix (if I´m fallin back to windows structure for any reason e.g. loosing rekordbox search features while playing- I´m able to find the songs also on the nacked folder structure)

• edited with MP3Tag with Genre/Year/Cover (genre´s are covering on one side the decades, other side the style by a doubled system (copys)

• so hard disks covers also the original folder structure + the exported rekordbox files (means- I´m able to search also by folder as with the rekordbox features, doubled space but who cares...;-)

Just in front of the questions now- I´m searching actually for the generally right way of approach to do it...

My Questions:

1a) Rekordbox actualization of music collection

New songs sorted in folder structure, do I have to import them one by one to Rekordbox as long as I do it not with an extra folder?

-> It´s important for the general structure I will use- otherwise I will have to use folders by date/month/year within the general style folder.

1b) Rekordbox actualization of music collection

If I´m then exporting the new songs, also each by each because of that folder structure or is there an more easier way i have missed?

-> Would mean, I´m either export the song each by each or the complete collection new to the hard drive, right?

(My main prob is the very large coverage of styles, substyles and deep within the repertoire- therefore the need for a very good structure. The structure is the key for beeing able to use the advantage of the new system, as it was the structure of the CD system. So far I got 20.000 titles in, on the end the BASIC structure will have around 30.000 titles. But as you all know, every month there are coming several songs for each section new and that´s the point- how to get it easy with the folder & pioneer system in...)

2a) Rekordbox rating of songs (stars)

Is it the same rating that Windows Media Player (WMP) is using- meaning am I able to rate the songs by WMP and I will see it on rekordbox also and revers?

2b) Rekordbox rating of songs (stars)

Actual question isn´t directly in relation to Rekordbox but would be fine if anyone could give me a light on this- am I able to do the same ratings of songs (which I see also on Rekordbox then) also with MP3Tag or is there no chance? It´s just to know if I can use multiple ways to do that or with Rekordbox, only!?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers! Also all inputs or suggestions for a better approach of the structure are welcome!

*Best greetings, deejay-d

deejay-d

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.

13 comentarios

...maybe as a additional information:

I noticed the thread "In Folder Sync / Keep my Folder Structure" and it´s answers as well. I generally agree that the whole work to find songs should be done by the Pioneer Search Options (sort options active @ RB). As more as I´m playing with the 2000er I´m sure I will have the mind-set for it (because the is a need for a change of approach -until now looking at the cd bags and choosing-, now- think of what you want & search-, of course).

Why I wanna have the folder system for the first time playing with the new system is just for four reasons:  1) easy transfer to this system (am I able to find all I need, if not- jumping to folder section),  2) to have the folder system as generally back-up, 3) use it as generally cat & sort system on the windows-level and 4) hold the knowledge of the CD-bag-system to be easy switch back as another back-up line.

I could imagine that there are some of the older DJs out there which got their problems with changing their mind (way of approach) to use the new system. Beside the fact that I´m -for the moment because not played with them live- not able to judge how big the difference is or what problems may arise I think it needs some time and is okay. As professionell I wanna just have a fall-back-line in case I got problems with the change...;-)

deejay-d 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

@deejay-d > Welcome to the forums!

1. a) If you are using Bridge to import your tracks, you can import everything no matter it's file location or how deep the folders go. If you are not using Bridge and your tracks are located in folders, you will need go to the top folder, and you should be able to drag and drop that folder into Rekordbox and it should recognize all your tracks within those folders. But once you copy your tracks into Rekordbox, you need to make sure the file directory and title stay the same or else Rekordboax will not be able to locate the track. Also, if you wanted to update you collection, you should be able to just re-drag and drop that first folder into Rekordbox and it should identify the new tracks and keep your current tracks the same without duplicating them or re-analyzing them.

2. b) I think I answered this in "1. a)" ?

2. a) You can change the "Rating" of a track in WMP, and as long as updating it in WMP results in updating the actual tracks tag, then all you need to do is select all your tracks in Rekordbox ("Command + A" on Windows I believe), right click and select "Reload Tag". However, you cannot update the "Rating" in Rekordbox and have it change in WMP. It will only show up in Rekordbox.

1. b)  No, the only way to update the "Rating" tag is with a software that updates the MP3 tag, or a specific MP3 tag application.

As for organizing your Rekordbox Library in folders within Rekordbox, that feature has been requested to the engineers if you were curious or thought it would be good to have in the future.

I believe I answered all your questions, but please let me know if I made a mistake or didn't explain myself enough.

Thanks,

Foster 

Foster 0 votos

Hi Foster,

first- thanks a lot for the detailled answer!

Update collection

Okay- the key sentence is "Also, if you wanted to update you collection, you should be able to just re-drag and drop that first folder into Rekordbox and it should identify the new tracks and keep your current tracks the same without duplicating them or re-analyzing them".

-> That means that I can put songs into an already imported/exported folder, re-import it and Rekordbox will automated add the missing (new ones) songs- the already imported (and signed e. g. with colors) are staying in definite the same status as it was in front of re-importing, right?!

That would be great and is the important point for me.

Song ratings

Alright, just what I thought. Huh, that is a amount of work to get ready (while using the capabilities of the programm)...- until Rekordbox I did 7 steps for each song, with Rekordbox there are 3 more steps for each to follow (CUE, rating, color). At the moment I can´t see it anymore...;-)

For the Rekordbox Library Folders- it would be fine but it isn´t that important because I do it with the mentioned doubled system (because the original folder system is on the hard disk as well). Okay, then without every feature of Rekordbox...but normally while playing there should be ten seconds more to search it on Rekordbox as far I know what name I had searched for (and found related on the old CD-Bags-System)...- just for this case.

Best greetings,

deejay-d

deejay-d 0 votos

@deejay-d > Update Collection:

Correct, this is what I was referring to. However, this will only happen as long as you do not change the file path or file name of a song in between imports into Rekordbox. Therefore, once you import the track, you cannot change and edit the files tags that determine the files directory or title.

ex. If my track paths are organized in the following order: Artist > Album > Track

And I organize my track file names from iTunes such as: Disk Number > Track Number > Track Title > Remix

This would be the result of my tracks directory/file path:

(Top Music Folder) > (Artist) > (Album) > [Track Title (Disk Number) (Track Number) (Track Title) (Remix)]

Music > Foster > Collection > 01 05 Rekordbox (Foster Remix).mp3

Therefore, if you were to edit any of those titles that determines the files directory/path or file name, Rekordbox will not recognize the change and import the track again creating a duplicate.

So once you import your tracks to Rekordbox, it's best not to mess around those determining factors, or else the file will be missing in Rekordbox, and you will need to relocate the file through it's new directory. Even if you change the title to have 1 extra letter, you will have to change the path in Rekordbox for it to locate the track properly. So basically, import the track when you're sure you can import it, without changing the main categories that would in turn change the files directory.

Song Ratings:

Yes, Rekordbox does not change a files tag.

A bit of help with adding "Cue" and "Memory" points quickly. I went into the keyboard mappings and here are a couple of mine:

Play/Pause - "spacebar"

Cue - "C"

Quantise ON/OFF - "Q"

Hot Cue A - "A"

Hot Cue B - "B"

Hot Cue C - "D"

Memory - "M"

Then I usually turn on my Quantize (Q), load a track, play (spacebar) the track, then suddenly pause (spacebar) the track when I'm closest to the first beat or sometimes back track it a bit by dragging, press Cue (C) and the Quantize will automatically take you to the closest beat on the beat grid. Then I may have to change the beat grid a bit to make it perfectly where I want it to be. You can edit this by clicking on the down arrow on the far right of the zoomed waveform display. This is also where you can physically edit the BPM where it will actually change throughout the entire track. Anyways, when I'm on the first beat and I have the first beat lined up where I want it, I press Hot Cue A "A" and Memory "M" to save them at the first beat. Then I move on to the next track and can set more detailed cues later.

If you haven't noticed yet, but when you export a track from Rekordbox and it has Cue and Memory points saved, you may need to press the "Call" button on a track to see all of your saved points. It has been requested that your Hot Cues automatically load for each new track when selected, and the engineers are looking into it.

I'm not sure what you meant with the last part of your message?

"Okay, then without every feature of Rekordbox...but normally while playing there should be ten seconds more to search it on Rekordbox as far I know what name I had searched for (and found related on the old CD-Bags-System)...- just for this case."

I hope some of that helps you in the future and can save you some stress and time. :)

Thanks,

Foster 

Foster 0 votos

Hey Foster,

thanks for confirmation and especially for the keyboard mappings- they will help in saving time! Great!

Really nice that you explained the functions of how to do. Yes, it´s precisely what I´m doing at the moment. I didn´t know that with the "call"-button so far- also good to know!

Ah- the last part of message...okay:

It refers to "keeping the folder structure".

-> got a folder structure on the main audio drive on the PC (60s/70s/80s and so on, but also styles like house/black/pop and so on)

-> from this drive I´m synchronizing to the "play"-hard-disks (the military ones I had mentioned)- so far it has nothing to do with Rekordbox

-> i have the folder system in case of knowing which songs I wanna play (where it was on the CD-System & therefore where it is located on the folders but does not know it´s name or artist)

now...

-> if I THEN found it on the folder structure I know now the name- can go back and search it by title/ artist with the Rekordbox search options and got the prepared CUEs and so on...- that´s what I was trying to explain. Normally you should have the time to do this (switching to Rekordbox search folders). Maybe not the easiest way- but also just in case of I can´t remember title & artist. In most cases it should be not like this unless i deleted the rest of my brain also...;-)

By the way- due to the fact that I sorted it all first via genre with decades (50s,60s,70s...) I will have to do copys and then sort the copys again with a new- the real genre like house, black, pop. It´s because I wanna have all options while searching. Do you see a way to copy the Rekordbox worked songs and then rename the genre on a easy way?

The actual planed way will be 1) copy to genre folders (windows)  and 2) rename the genre of all songs with MP3Tag (because here I´m able to rename all songs genre in one step.

It would be very good if there would be a way without loosing the Rekordbox worked features, of course. But if I follow what you had written it won´t work since the file path is changed as minimum...

Again- thanks...great job...;-)

Best greetings,

deejay-d

deejay-d 0 votos

@deejay-d > Perhaps I'm missing something but you know you can edit the genre field within Rekordbox...?

Gavin 0 votos

@deejay-d > No problem. If I could export my entire keyboard mappings into 1 file, I would post it for new users if they wanted it.

I think it would actually be easier to add the name of the CD in your system, to the "Album", "Label", or "Mix Name" in your Rekordbox database, instead of add it to a different program. If you used the "Album" or "Label" column to enter the CD names from your system, you can then use it on the CDJ's to search through your "Album" or "Label" names and find what CD it was on in your system. If you use the "Mix Name" to sort you CD system titles, you won't be able to see them on the CDJ, but you can still search within Rekordbox which might be better than having to use the other application and use Rekordbox at the same time.

I would only recommend this if your column "Album", "Label", or "Mix Name" is empty or if you don't mind changing the data in that field.

If you want to use multiple search options, you can first put the tracks into 1 playlist such as a "50's" list, a "60's" list and so on... Then make sure all your tracks have the proper genre entered such as "house, pop, etc.". Then make sure your "Playlists" and "Genres" are enabled to search on the CDJ's. That would give you the best ability to use multiple search methods.

You won't need to change the file path or change the actual .mp3 tag, just organize everything within Rekordbox and use the available columns and options to organize your music in anyway you need.

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 votos

@Gavin:

Yes, of course. But with MP3Tag -which I use as first step to enter the basic data- it is a little bit easier. In RB I will have to mark, switch to INFO, change the genre and go back (COLLECTION). With MP3Tag I just mark serval and change it. Some klicks less. Just for lowering work... Normally while service every 2-3 days some dozen new songs it makes no difference, of course. But if trying to get a basic stock of around 30.000 titles in you are trying to save as much work as possible... Certainly I´m still learning how to do it best, therefore it was not wrong...;-)

@Foster:

That´s also a good idea, don´t use this fields as I want just to fill in what I really need to (to reduce workload). Have to think about that and the playlists. A field I´m completely maiden. For shure learning point.

Would be doing a lot more sense to do it all with just one programm... Just use MP3Tag as first step because of the above mentioned functions.

Thanks guys!

Best greeting,

deejay-d

P.S. May I ask you both how much music you got in your system and how long it took to got all data in that it is "playable"? By the way, Foster- the keyboard mapping works really good...it´s really clear faster...;-)

deejay-d 0 votos

@deejay-d > You can also edit multiple tracks at once in Rekordbox. Start in your "Collection" or "Playlist" tab, and individually select tracks on a Mac by holding  and clicking on the track. Or you can select sections by clicking on the first track you want, holding the "shift" key and selecting the last song you want. That will select all the tracks in between those 2 tracks. You can then proceed to the "Info" tab and edit any piece of information and it will occur to all of the tracks you had selected. Be careful not to rename all the Titles or Artists the same though. ;)

I don't import my entire music collection into Rekordbox as I wouldn't use a lot of the older stuff I have. I mostly keep it up to date and organize it by my most recently added tracks. Then using those keyboard controls I can quickly whip through my tracks setting start points and adjusting the beat grid if necessary. It helps if you have a lot of RAM in your computer as I notice Rekordbox chews it up pretty quick when analyzing tracks or messing around with them.

No worries, about the Key commands. I'm glad they help. :)

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 votos

@Foster

Editing multiple tracks-

yes, what I had written...some clicks more, thats why. I know it works, too.

On my side it isn´t my entire collection, too. It´s just what I have also actually in the several cd-bags with me, but just around...maybe 20% of all. The benefit of a specialized DJ (what you had written)- the allrounder should have everything with him, even the character of the event (especially corporate events) is defined. Sometimes the eventmanager recognize that it doesn´t work like planed and then it´s necessary to be flexible (and your skill comes to full life)...;-) In the electronic section just a few songs get into the classic status, so there´s not that need to have that amount with you...a lot more easier...

Best greetings,

deejay-d

deejay-d 0 votos

Hi Foster,

at the moment I´m nearly finished so far with my basic music collection (opening of a bottle is near...;-). So I had exported it to the mobile disk and connected it to the CDJ (USB).

Although I had exported the music and in front of it added things like "Label" in the active sort categories (@Rekordbox) it is missing in the search menue at the CDJ.

If I´m connecting the CDJ via LINK directly to the PC (where the main collection sits) it is working. Therefore the actual question is what I may have missed...? I was adding the worked collection to the mobile disc via mark & drop (in Rekordbox of course).

Something other regarding my integration of decades in the field "Label" (meaning 70s/80s/90s)- this step was not really necessary because you are able to search at the CDJ not only for a specific year, also for a complete decade like e.g. everything of the 80s (if you have a filled field with the exact year, of course- what I have)! And I recognized that you are also able to go into e. g. genre + then search for things like ratings or colors (what a very important function is!)...meaning I recogized some major functions just by now, he, he, he...IT IS STUNNING, really!  Got a similar feeling at the moment like a hot women would be in front of me...;-)

Best greetings,

deejay-d

deejay-d 0 votos

@deejay-d > When you set the categories in the "Preferences", "Export" tab, this only applies to when you connect to your CDJ's via LINK.

In order to add search functions such as "Label" and "Genre" to an exported device through Rekordbox, you will need to follow Pulse's video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcSkD4oDyo

I hope that helps. :)

Foster 0 votos

Ahhh- of course! Yes it helps totally...;-) Thank you!

Best regards,

deejay-d

deejay-d 0 votos