Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

3 seguidores Seguir

For Those Sorting Out Hip Hop Music...

Hey guys,

I need a few advice for sorting out hip-hop music. How do you sort out that genre of music? Do you assign several subgenres to different songs? For instance... "Gangsta Rap," "Party Rap," "Chill Rap"? (I'm sure some of them don't even exist, I just didn't know what to say haha)

I don't have any problems sorting out EDM, but I still need some hip-hop music in my sets and I just don't know how to sort out that genre of music...

Sometimes when I (legally!) download music, it says it's R&B, but to me it sounds like Rap. I am really confused...

If you could give some suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for those that will help me!

Julien G.

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.

4 comentarios

Hey there,

I know exactly what you are saying and I run into that instance in all genre music.  My solution is not really changed the genre of the music, I simply tag it in the "grouping" as a gangsta rap along with the year is came out and based on that it will go into that playlist.

For instance, Notorious BIG Big Poppa is in the 1990s and its still under the Hip-Hop/Rap genre and the grouping tag is Chill. based on the year and hte group tag, it will go into the chill hip hop playlist or w/e.

At the end of the day, organize it the way that works for you, I personally find it easier to classify house music over hip-hop rap, etc.  You really have to listen to the song, see what the crowd thinks of it and based on that tag it.  Some songs can be gangsta and party AND chill. u cant put that in genre but you can tag it as gangsta, chill, and party in the groupings.

I use groupings but ou can use w/e other tags in the mp3 file. 

Painless Wolf 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

Thanks for your answer!

However I am not sure to understand what you mean by "tags?" Are you saying that for Hip-Hop songs in general, it's better to not change the genre itself, but it's better to put tracks in playlists such as "Chill", "Gangsta", "Party?"

And if one track is "gangsta" "chill" and "party" at the same time, would you put that same tracks in the 3 different playlists?

Do you agree that the genre "Hip-Hop/Rap" and "Rap" is basically the same...?

How do you differentiate Rap and R&B? Sometimes I feel like the song is a mix of both, so I don't know how to sort it out...

Julien G. 0 votos

Why not use the colors to sorting out "hard" (Red) or "soft" (Green) music in all genres ?

Fredrik F 0 votos

@Julien > I share your thought process here too. Oftentimes, its difficult to label as a track as sitting in a clearly defined genre. My solution is to place those tracks in specific playlists or tag them in a genre (or with a colour) I know remember.

Gavin 0 votos