Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publicación

5 seguidores Seguir

Setting cue points in different spots based on playlist.

The situation I'm in is that I often times use the same song in different playlists and need a way to distinguish which cue points are for which playlist. I know that I can set different colored cue points in rekordbox but they dont show up differently on my cdjs. Is there a way to set cue points so that they are only there on the song for that playlist and have a different set of cue points on a different playlist? Or is there a way that I can import the same song a second time and name it something different so i have a second track to set separate cue points on? Any help or ideas for a solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

Rob York

Iniciar sesión para dejar un comentario.

11 comentarios

You can currently label memory points within rekordbox but those names are only displayed within rekordbox. Unfortunately there is no way for tracks to load different memory points based on the playlist as the hot cues are stored on the tack. The only work-around I could see is the ability for a CDJ-2000nexus to call hot cue banks; you could store them with the same name as the playlist if it's something you need often.

Pulse 0 votos
Acciones de comentarios Permalink

Is there a forum where I can suggest this as a new feature for future iterations of the rekordbox software?

Rob York 0 votos

We'll pass it along to engineers as a product suggestion.

Pulse 0 votos

BTW, RX will pop a screen showing the cue label information when the Cue Memory call buttons are pressed. It would be nice if there were an option where the first few characters were shown on the track profile graph.

Rob, here is what I do about the situation, and it is not for the squeamish: When I build a playlist, I wrote a script that creates specific subdirectory containing hardlinks (windows geek here) to the tracks, and a Rekordbox XML bridge file pointing to those specific links. To Rekordbox, it thinks they are new and unique files, but the net result is each playlist has unique cues, loops, and hot cues. What I give up: Takes up more room on a thumb drive (if four mixes use the same track, each instance is represented individually), the RB collection is not my 'master' since each instance is represented there as well, and lastly, if I rock tracks from multiple playlists in a set (as I do) you don't get the green 'already been played' for the same track from a different playlist (to me this is no different than remembering which records I've pulled from a crate).

My current understanding of Rekordbox and xDJ database architecture tells me the limitation is due the data that is present in the "Collection" structure (tags, beatgrid, cue points, etc.) vs. the data contained in the "Playlist" structure (simply track order and a pointer to the track instance). If the playlist schema were extended to include cue information, then a Playlist can supersede the default cue data present in the Collection, one can set custom points in a particular playlist without royally screwing up other mashups in other playlists. Another example of how this is useful, is if you need a lot of cue points and hot cues for a live remix, one would simply put the track in a playlist 2-3 times (each representing the phrases of that remix, say parts A, B and C) and go to town with rearrangement, samples, and loops.

Like I say, what I've done is a pretty hardcore approach to solving this problem, and required the development of a peculiar workflow. If it were up to me, the cue information would be in the collection by default, and copied over to the playlist when that is created. When cue points are modified in the playlist, the collection would be updated, but it would not impact cue data in other previously created playlists. This way, the collection is always up to date, but does not clobber specific modifications done elsewhere.

pope 0 votos

You certainly know more about the detailed data components than I do. ;)

Pulse 0 votos

Thanks, Pulse. I'm just driven by need; reading the documentation, while a few other folks have figured out some of the inner workings of the device data. One of the more frustrating things about the Rekordbox/xDJ solution was the use of that proprietary database package (that would be the .EDB and .PDB files on the computer and device, respectively) from the company Ubiquitous Corp. (DeviceSQL in this case) and not going with open standards. It would be nice to have an extensible framework and open APIs, doing so would allow a robust offering of features and further embed the tool chain in the professional's workflow (akin to how VST APIs transformed the DAW landscape).

pope 0 votos

Totally, if I had the time (or inclination) I might be in the same boat. ;)

I'm sure the reason it's not open is they wanted to have more control over the content and operation without introducing the ability for others to modify something, thus causing problems Pioneer would then have to try and support. (We get enough trouble with 3rd party whatevers as is ... routers, USB drives, etc.)

All I ever wanted was analyse-in-place. ;)

Pulse 0 votos

I agree. Being a programmer / engineer myself I'm trying break into the DeviceSQL format just to get the stupid program to do what I want it to. If Pioneer didn't attempt to corner the market by limiting the normal enjoyments of a file system we wouldn't be in this boat. Then Itunes and other lame music managers tried to do this.. I just didn't use them and kept using winamp. Unfortunately for DJing it's not an option and the whole thing just enrages me. 

Zeek Suds 1 voto

I'VE FIGURED OUT A SOLUTION (well.. at least a work around that doesn't involve coding..) 

This should work on any OS with any version: 

1. Plug in your external device (usb or hard disc)
2. Open your device in rekordbox
3. Copy the songs or playlist that you would like to edit onto that device. 
4. Changes that you make to cue points and hot cues will not affect your original cue points and hot cues
5. if you would like to copy those cue point back into your collection, simply drag the new playlist or tracks into your collection from your device. 
6. (IMPORTANT) to make sure that your new cue points don't overwrite the old, be sure to select "Import" when prompted, and then "copy" files to the selected location. 

Yes, you will be taking double the space on your computer's hard drive, but it works and for me is definitely worth it. 

If someone wants to test "importing" and then NOT copying, be my guest and let me know the results here.. 

All the best! 

Michael pittman 0 votos

^^ be sure to edit the cue points that are ON YOUR DEVICE and not the cue points in your collection.. 

Michael pittman 0 votos