Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

12 abonnés S’abonner

Interface 2 Phono Preamps - Horrible Sound

My Interface 2 has exactly the same problem described here: https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115009504906-DJM-250MK2-phono-clarity-decrease e.g. "when switching to "Phono" and using vinyl, there is a noticeable decrease in sound clarity".

The official answer to DJM-250MK2 was - it's cheaper mixer and preamps are cheap and sound worse than expensive mixers.

However here https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115009640506-Interface-2-Phono-Preamps the official response is that Interface 2 has the "similar" preamps to DJM-900NXS2

How come they sound so horrible? Like "cheap" DJM-250MK2 when I was promised "club quality" sound? It's not exactly a cheap sound card.

Currently it is completely unusable in through mode for mixing real vinyl (I do mix real vinyl together with DVS).

system:re

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

38 commentaires

Duplicate maybe but pointing to similar flows... Spoke to my DJ equipment dealer yesterday and he reported many returns of DJM-250MK2 for the exact same issues.

Dr FUNKist 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

So glad a friend pointed me to this thread, I have been having this very problem, have provided clear proof to pioneer via spectrum plots keeping needle / record / turntable standard (showing 1.5 khz dropoff vs another mixer...basically nothing above 18khz) but can't even get a reply from Pioneer support. As part of buying this mixer I switched from serato to rekordbox and migrated my whole library of thousands of tracks and have since done much metadata editing, wondering whether I have to revert back now since I have written pioneer support via the site and on Twitter a month ago and have yet to get any sort of reply. frankly I expected more from pioneer (if not in the mixer than in the support) but oh well I guess you get what you pay for 😞

Pete Cassin 0 votes

I just A/B'd using a 5 year or more old ART usb phono preamp which has line-level out, routing one turntable through that and one direct through the mixer, with 2 identical needles replaced at the same time (switched after the test to opposite turntables to confirm results / confirm it's not the needles), using doubles of the same record in similar condition. The results are crystal clear to even the most untrained ear, MASSIVE high end cut on the pioneer. Looking forward to doing some recordings of this tomorrow (unfortunately can't hook up PC tonight) and posting audio examples / further spectrum plots, as the quality degradation is almost comical when juggling back and forth between the external pre-amped vs mixer-amped turntable signal. 

Pete Cassin 1 vote

Yep, old mixers are the real deal, the new models (high end or not) carry a very poor quality preamp specifically from an analog source. And yes, pioneer can't be bothered, you just have to read the comments their agent has made in this thread. terrible at all levels.

Dr FUNKist 0 votes

I have the same problem with the phono preamp of my Djm 250 mk2.

the sound is horrible, cut in highs and enhanced in the middle.

my turntables are 2 plx1000, with shure 44-7, then that's not the problem

please, I want the representatives of pioneer to answer me and tell me, if this awful preamp phono sound can be solved with a future frimware or if it's going to sound that bad forever?

Thank you

Palladino Pablo 0 votes

@Palladino I'm afraid this is a hardware issue and cannot be solved by a firmware update. All Pioneer new mixers have a terrible vinyl preamp and I do mean ALL including the overpriced models etc. Don't even need to check the video reviews, most... PAID by pioneer or... don't have a clue of a good sound. 

I would sell/return it asap and get a different brand/model. If you fancy Pioneer mixers, pick something as the DJM-800 and below... anything above is good for the bin.

Eh... one last thing... save your breath here... Pioneer wouldn't care.

Dr FUNKist -1 votes

I got the Interface 2 a few days ago and just tested this out myself. There is no problem with the DVS digital output, but the THRU output is terrible quality.

Setup:

2 x Technics 1210, 2 copies of the same vinyl. One turntable straight into my DJM 600 PHONO input, one running through the interface in THRU mode with the interface set to PHONO and the output running into the mixers LINE input.

Initially the turntable set up in THRU mode is significantly quieter. When volumes are matched, the quality of the sound coming from the vinyl running through the interface is drastically worse than the turntable playing the same vinyl plugged directly into the mixer. I also tested this with the turntables in reverse to make sure it was not a needle/cartridge/turntable issue and it is definitely because of the THRU mode of the interface. This is rather disappointing and i am considering returning the Interface 2. Why is the quality of the THRU mode so poor?

The big question is, is this a software or hardware issue. I struggle to believe that Pioneer would put such poor quality preamps in their hardware considering they are industry standard now. If this is just a software issue I can wait for an update, but if it is a hardware issue i may have to reconsider. 

Jaimie Daure 0 votes