Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

5 abonnés S’abonner

XDJ RX2 FLAC & ALAC

Could you please comment if the lack of FLAC or ALAC support on XDJ RX2 is a hardware limitation, like that on the original XDJ RX or if this is patchable (or planning to be added) in the future. Given this was added to the Nexus MK2's last year, it was expected to be available in the new RX.

It seems like quite an oversight for an industry leading DJ Controller to leave out support for widely used industry standard lossless file compression and the main reason a lot of people (including myself) have been holding out for the release of the MK2 version.

Thanks a lot.

chief Répondu

Commentaire officiel

It's two things ... one, a hardware limitation because, two, they wanted to keep the costs down.

For the record, all Pioneer DJ hardware can play FLAC and ALAC ... from rekordbox, in performance mode. ;)

@Daniel > No, it can't.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

7 commentaires

this is definetly no hw limitaten even the chipset from an old cdj2000 (2009) can Play flac out of the box but it's locked/unused by pioneer. just have a look at the specsheet of the chipsets ;-)

Daniel Ventura 0 votes

sorry pulse, but from a technical view (don't know how deep you are into embedded Controller/dsp) it's just not true.

just a simple example from the xdj-rx (mk1):

this unit uses a MCIMX6U6AVM08AC main cpu that is an ARM Coretex-A9 this cpu can handle flac and also alac out of the box without consuming extra calculating power (hw accelerated).

as said, even the 2009 released cdj2k had a (as far as i remember a Sigma) chipset in it that was/is capable to handle flac/alac hw accelerated.

- from a technical view it's nothing more than a sw thing

- from a Marketing/strategic view i can of Course fully understand this strategy, you always Need to Keep something for the next hw cycle...

i can understand that supporting this formats on the rx will cannibalize the next release of the small xdjs for example.

but it's just not correct to tell the end users that it's a hw limitation ;-)

Daniel Ventura 1 vote

Oh man, I was hoping the RX2 would support ALAC. I spent close to two years re-ripping my entire music library to go lossless. The RX2 looks awesome but I don't want to go back to mp3 at this point. I wonder if a firmware update could allow the new unit to support flac and alac? If not, the DDJ-RX with Rekordbox DJ has been pretty good to me this year. And before anyone says "you could go AIFF" I don't want to do that either. It's like Goldilocks & the three bears... MP3 is too small, AIFF is too big, lossless is just right :P

Mike Sinclair 0 votes

@Daniel > It can't play them for a variety of reasons, which I can't / won't get into here, regardless of the capabilities of the individual chips within the device(s).

Pulse -1 votes

I'd like to ask again for FLAC support for the RX2.

Can't imagine that this is really a hardware limitation. I think it's more a software / firmware issue and should be possible to add.

Jan Schmidt 1 vote