Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

DDJ-RZX Laptop Recomendation

Currently using my Desktop to run the DDJ-RZX.  It's a MONSTER of a desktop in the sense of power.  Needless to say, it runs the RZX without any issues using ALL functions VERY well. I'm ready to take the RZX out of the bedroom and on the road so the search for a MAC Laptop has started.

The system hardware recommendations for the RZX can all be met with the 2017 MacBook PRO.  My concern is the RAM.  RZX recommends 16GB or MORE.  The MAX amount of RAM available on the MacBook PRO is 16GM.  The RAM on these NEW line of MacBook PRO is NOT upgrade-able. Not easy dropping $3.3K on a laptop that may not work as flawlessly as it does on my current desktop exceeding all recommended system requirements (4.0Ghz i7 quad core, 32GB of RAM 1TB HD)

To the point...

Will the RZX work FLAWLESSLY with the latest 2017 MacBook Pro with the following specs?

Customize MacBook Pro - Apple

• 3.1GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

Luis Rodriguez

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

10 commentaires

Posted over a month ago without a response...

Luis Rodriguez 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

I didn't reply because I can't tell you that computer will "work FLAWLESSLY" -- if you wind up having other background applications or processes running, it could perform worse than a computer a few years old.

Will it work well? Yes. Should you go with 32GB RAM over 16GB? Maybe -- you'll certainly get a longer life out of it. I put 16GB into my MacBook Pro when I built it 5 years ago.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse,

The MacbookPro does not not have an option for more than 16gb RAM. None of the MacBooks have more than 16 GB RAM. That's my concern. Since the DDJ-RZX is primarily software based, future rekordbox updates may require more than 16 GB RAM.

Luis Rodriguez 0 votes

Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing it.

Luis Rodriguez 0 votes

I dont understand this blindness with mac... GO with PC and you can custimize it and build it as YOU please! It is not a worse build as MANY haters say. Its the SAME components in a PC. Its just the software that is diffrent, the OS.

I dont understand people painting themself in a corner just because of "The brand".

And if you ONLY going to use RBDJ as your post sound it will be no problem as RBDJ exist on both Mac and PC! There are definitly not more problems on PC with RBDJ than on Mac. Just look at all threads here on the support-forum.

Come over to the Light side!! =)
You WILL be much more satisfied with a PC IF you build it correct. And it sounds you have some computer-knowledge already?! There are loads of finished builded PC-laptops to choose from that has higher RAM.

I also would NOT recommend a so big investment not to be able to upgrade your RAM. Buy a laptop that can be upgraded and you WILL be more satisfied for more years. Mac is NOT magical. Get at stronger build instead from PC.

Good luck! =)

Nightlife 0 votes

Not to create a Mac vs. PC debate, but in my decades of work with both, I switched from PC when Apple started using Intel processors, and I haven't looked back. I was still building PCs for clients until last year, and while yes, you can customize a lot more, to get the same spec, you're paying almost the same price. I prefer the build quality of Apple products. While Windows 10 is decent (better than 8 by far), it still has a host of its own problems not seen in macOS.

For my money, I'd still buy a Mac, because my 5 year old MBP still runs circles around new PCs from last year.

Pulse 0 votes

Nightlife,

Yup, I build my own desktops. Much cheaper and and better than the cookie cutter iMacs. I still run OSX though. I switched to OSX 12 years ago against my will and love it. Unfortunately, building a mac book still has some hurdles but doable. Like you said, it's all the same hardware. Except OSX doesn't support it all so picking the right parts is key. Just did a gig for New Years using my desktop but it was a PIA to lug around. A laptop would cutdown on setup but don't like the difficulty or lack of upgradablity. I may build another desktop in a micro box.

The article posted above though is makeup by me think twice about not getting a laptop.

Luis Rodriguez 0 votes

Yes Pulse I respect your oppinion and I dont want to raise a debate either. BUT he wants more RAM and he wants to be safe over future time = there is options there to choose from this.

Intel is not Mac, Intel is also in PC If you choose it. And whatever you prefer you can NEVER say that you can custimize it as much as to a PC. There are many diffrent brands to choose from. PC has used Intel for much longer times. Mac is taking after PC more and more. Intel is the best and its in the PC-DNA. =)

And IF you buy a PC for same money as a strong Mac It will also run smoother than half-made PCs from "last year". ; )

I think for YOU Luis you will be MUCH more safe and feel calm about haven future proof your investment. Think like this:

Buy a laptop from PC with 32GB that CAN be upgraded to 64GB or even 128 GB RAM! THEN you have power now AND future proof that will make you feel more relaxed and to be able to count on your Tech is EVERYTHING for a serious DJ.

Go for it and dont look back! =)

Pulse, glad to hear you are satisfied, PC is not for all, as Mac is not for all. BUT for Luis needs PC IS better choice! He can not get what he wants on a Mac. 

You can not compare a 3000$ Mac with a 1000$ PC. Try to compare it with a 3000$ PC instead and you WILL get more for your buck!
Thats a fact!
Macers pay a LOT just for the "look" of it, "the feel", the layou, the brand!

When you buy a PC you pay for the TECH!! And is that not what you want??
I think it is ridiculous to compare a cheaper PC with an more expensive Mac. You can get MUCH more from PC because ALL money goes to the TECH instead of half or a third goes to the design. I dont understand it. But some whant a clean finish and that I respect. But dont say Its same price as PC. ; )

You can get more Tech with the bucks you already plan to spend on Mac. Spend it, but on the Tech.

Nightlife 0 votes

I own a DDJ RZX and use it exclusively with the MBP you describe.

• Late 2017
  • 3.1GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

It runs fine, but if I run some other applications it can cause problems. The RZX is a total resource hog. In activity monitor it gets up to over 75% in CPU usage. No way you can run it with something like Resolume and turn all other background apps off as well. You can maybe have a few low resource programs open, but I noticed things like my Synology Cloud Station Drive slows it down a bit and causes delays in waveform display and video. 

Dennis Frantsve 0 votes