Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Djm 800 Midi and Traktor Pro

Hi

I would like to use with the djm 800 tractor now I'm looking at what the midi cable to usb benötige.Midi I've vlt her a link to such a cable?

I will not find it easy

markoerregger

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

12 commentaires

Hey Mark,

The best way to set it up would be to use a MIDI cable and plug it into an external sound card, which is then connected to your computer via USB.

Remember MIDI only sends 1 way signals and controls the software. Therefore you will not use the outputs on the DJM-800 and you will need to set the audio to come out of the external sound card via a selected channel.

I don't have the DJM-800 MIDI documents Pulse provided, but you should be able to find some online by googling or ask another member such as Pulse if he has it.

You can also google more information on MIDI usage and capabilities to find what would be the best set-up for you.

In my opinion, if you have 2 external CD players or 2 CDJ's, I would personally use the DJM-800 as a stand alone mixer with the players. You can connect the players to Traktor if they are USB enabled, or use Traktor Scratch Pro (1 or 2) to control the audio. But I would definitely use the DJM-800 as the DJM-800 and not to control Traktor. Why? Because the DJM-800 is/was the industry standard DJ mixer for the past 5+ years and sounds amazing on it's own with all it's built in effects, color effects, 3 band EQ... everything on it is amazing to use. If you use it to control Traktor, then you are using the software mixer built in to Traktor, meaning your DJM-800 is just a controller and you're not using it for it's amazing sound quality.

Also, I think the built in mixer in Traktor isn't that great at all. I've played around with it and I think the software still has a way to go before I consider giving up the true hardware aspect of it.

Hopefully someone else sheds some light on their opinion so it's not so one sided. lol

Hope this helps. 

Foster 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Yes thats right but i only need the Channel 2 and 3 the Equalizer Section for Traktor Pro i need the Filter on it and the Key Function.I have 2 cdj 900 this are my Soundcards in Traktor work perfectly.

I bay my denon mixer and i would buy an Djm 800(djm 900 the Price is too high at the moment for me)

markoerregger 0 votes

Well, when you turn on the MIDI start/stop on the DJM-800, I'm pretty sure you turn on every button as MIDI and can't choose only 9 or 10 buttons to be MIDI and the rest to work as the mixer should.

A simple way to fix this is just to add the control functions to the CDJ-900's you're using now.

Hook up your CDJ-900's to your computer, and turn on Traktor. Go to Traktor Preferences, and go to "Controller Manager" on the left side. Then you can select which input you would like to edit. Select the first CDJ-900, and go to "add in" select the mapping to the CDJ-900's "Slip Mode" button, and make it control the "Key Lock" on Traktor. Then you can make another function of "add out" and do the opposite as the Traktor "Key Lock" controls the CDJ-900's "Slip Mode". Then do this to the other CDJ-900 so they both control the "Key Lock" in Traktor and the "Key Lock" also controls the "Slip Mode" button.

I haven't tried my CDJ-900 with Traktor, but I'm pretty sure you can't use the Slip Mode properly when connected to Traktor right?

So just program that button as your Key Lock and that solves that problem.

As for the Filter... I'm just wondering why you need the filter on Traktor to be used?

You will have 2 different filters on the DJM-800 that are perfect to use. You can use the beat effect filter which is good, or the color effect filter which is amazing! The color effect filter allows you to control the high pass and low pass over any beat or time that you choose. Much easier than using the built in Traktor filter in my opinion...

But if you demand the Traktor filter, you can always program it to the CDJ-900 to turn on by pressing the "Reverse" button and program it to use the jog dial for high pass and low pass. Then simply press the "Reverse" button again to cancel. But I'd 200% prefer the color effects and filter of the DJM-800...

I hope this helps, and let me know if this doesn't work or if you would like more information. :D

Foster 0 votes

okay thats right i dont need the traktor filter :D

Pioneers Effect i like it so much more :D

Thank you for your answers mf

markoerregger 0 votes

No problem man. Happy to help. :)

Take care and have fun with your new DJM-800!! 

Foster 0 votes

And a big hello back from Canada. :)

Let me know if you need any help with setting the CDJ-900's to control Traktor and and which buttons and stuff.

Foster 0 votes

Thank you but my cdj 900 works perfectly all the Time :D

markoerregger 0 votes

I think that foster may have explained but I did not read that much into it. the DJM 800 can control traktor pro 2. if you had channel 1 and 4 for your left and right decks you could set up channel 2 and 3 to control traktor with midi. meaning that if you used the controls on channel 2 of your mixer it will put FX on channel 1. for example the cue button could turn the FX on/off and the gain and EQ can control parameters of the FX.

max sather 0 votes

Ok Folks I need some help.  I have a DJM-800.  I have the midi out hooked into the midi In of a Roland UM-one (usb to midi adapter)  My computer sees the UM1 no problem, my problem seems to be that my DJM doesnt seem to be sending midi.  I have the Midi start going.  I would expect that if I turn a nob the light on my UM-one for in coming signal should light up.  Its not.  None of the software im using sees that any thing is coming into the pc.

Is there a way to verify that the mixer is actually sending midi?

marc b 0 votes