Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

1 abonné S’abonner

DJM-2000 Quantize - Questions and Suggestions...

The recent v2 update for our DJM-2000's has been a welcome addition for all of us, and of course the real 'biggie' has been the introduction of Quantized effects.  Quantized has really impressed me, but I have some questions and perhaps suggestions about the way it operates and potential ways that it could be tweaked...

1) 'QTZ' - what does it mean when this flashes?  More to the point, when 'GRID' is lit up, what does it mean when 'QTZ' flashes?  I have noticed this, also along with 'GRID' turning off, when I loop a track on my CDJ, usually closer to the start of a track or when the track hasn't been playing for long.

2) Is rounding up the BPM on the display, a good idea?  For example, if the BPM on the CDJ is showing as 132.4, the DJM will show 132 BPM.  When the BPM on the CDJ is showing as 132.6, the DJM will show 133.  Now, when I look at my CDJ and see the major number of 132 BPM and then look at my DJM and see the major number of 133 BPM, things inside my head start to go "Ngggh!".  I know this is simply a display value and if you use the decimal display mode on the DJM, the number switches to the actual value being used, but in this case it seems a bit misleading.  I'm thinking if Quantize is detected (or perhaps in general) that the BPM display on the DJM should only ever round down (or perhaps simply never round, depending on how it is coded), if only to reflect the value you can see on the the CDJ more... nicely (deliberately avoiding the use of the word "accurately", in this case).

3)  I spend most of my time with the effect channel set to Master.  With the DJM-2000 and the introduction of cool things like Noise and Sidechain, I find myself switching the effect to a separate channel and manipulating those new effect options over there.  However, I noticed that, for example, whilst playing a Quantized track on a channel (with either Master or that channel selected as the current effect channel), if you switch the effect channel to another channel, not only is the Quantize information lost (this much is obvious) but the DJM seems to switch to some other BPM value.  So if you wanted to do a transform scratch effect with Noise, using a decimally accurate Quantized BPM value... well, you can't!  I think the BPM value stored in the DJM should be totally over-ridden by Quantize information and locked on every channel unless the DJM specifically 'hears' something else cued or on a live channel.  I know there is a sort of 'hearing order' because I noticed that when playing 2 Quantized tracks at different BPMs, it takes about 6 seconds for the DJM to switch to the other grid and BPM when the cue or live channel is changed.

I hope this makes sense without being too long-winded!

Mark90

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

7 commentaires

I'm totally with you on point 3, it very annoying if you quickly switch channels to do an overlay effect and its out of sync because the mixer reverts to a different BPM.

Marsano 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

*bump*

Pulse, Gavin, any input?  Will any of this be considered?

Mark90 0 votes

@Mark90 > Sorry about the delay, I'll answer all your queries stated above tomorrow night.

Gavin 0 votes

1) A flashing QTZ means your current effect timing is not on-quantize (you can hit the 1/1 button, for example, and it will usually stop blinking).

2) I don't really look at the BPM, so I've never really found this to be a problem.

3) Before switching channels, press the TAP button once; it will lock the timings to whatever source was sending the signal before you switched channel, but you will lose quantization.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for the reply, Pulse.

1) Ok cool, that seems to do the trick.

2) It's purely cosmetic and isn't a problem, but thought I'd mention it as it can make you think "Huh?" if you spot when the displayed value has been rounded.

3) Nice workaround to this quirky behaviour, but yes it does do the job.

Mark90 0 votes

The problem with #2 is consistency among mixers; if they change it now, someone may complain to the reverse.  ;)

Pulse 0 votes