Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

Product Suggestion: Please add digital record out jack to DJM

DJM PRODUCT SUGGESTION.

After spending lots of time and money, I've come to conclude something that I wish I had not mis assumed.

The SPDIF digital out on a DJM 2000 is post master volume adjust.

What is the purpose of this?  I suppose if a club system had a digital in, but I've never seen that.

What I wanted this to do was work like a record out jack, that way I could jack into a nice digital recorder and get great recording fidelity of the mix.

Yes the DJM 2000 has record jacks, but they are analog.  The sound quality is lost and certainly the volume.  

Can future DJM mixers please have a digital record jack?  And why not toslink optical?  

I think one of the greatest assets to these modern digital mixers is the digital processing inside.

However people are still trying to interface via analog.  It doesn't make sense to me.  Why go digital to analog back to digital back to analog, etc.

I scrapped by DJM 600 for a DJM 2000 and the main reason for me was Digital I/O.  Digital IN is fine.  4 channels of USB (4 channel mode) and 4 channels of SPDIF in.  But there is only 1 USB digital outs (if you sacrifice a USB digital in) and the SPDIF digital out is post master volume, which makes no sense to me.

Just food for thought for product developers...

DetroitJake

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

8 commentaires

What does it matter if it is post master volume? You can just record digitally over the USB port - I don't get why it would matter that it i post master.

RyanTV 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

I mix on all 4 channels.  It sounds really cool with minimal techno.  (Trance / and most House sounds terrible with anything more than 2 channels.  The tracks are complete sounding without much additional mixing.  But minimal just gets more interesting the more channels you add.  As long as everthing stays in sync, which is why traktor is important (can CDJ's autosync, and even if they could, can I afford four of them??).  Its kinda like Ableton when you are using that many channels, and its a lot of fun)

Sooo... when using all four channels I configure my USB for the Pioneer ASIO to only do 4 stereo input channels.  And I configure Traktor to play each of its 4 decks on each input.  So I'm using all of the channels already.  That means I have no output channels to record with.  Besides.  I've spent a lot of time with this now, and I've discovered that only one software can handle one audio device (in Windows at least.  My 'studio' computer is windows).  So what that means is, Traktor 'owns' the DJM2000 audio driver when I'm playing Traktor direct to the DJM2000.  If I try to open other recording software (such as Cubase) and use the Pioneer ASIO, the audio driver crashes.  So I'm trying to use a USB sound card (Tascam) with SPDIF in to capture the SPDIF out on the DJM2000 when I discovered the SPDIF out is post master volume.  So I have to crank the master out to max to get a full sound into the recording.  Even if I add +12dB to the recording (which is the max the cubase software allows) I still have to turn the master out on the DJM2000 to about 95% of max.  Obviously I could never run a live mix through a PA system like this, so I can't really use that SPDIF as a record port if running live.  But I can kinda use it in a studio situation if I just turn the max up, and monitor on headphones only through the master cue, but it kinda scares me to see red on the master out LEDs just to get full sound into the software.  Red usually means clipping.  So it kinda works but not how I wanted it too.  I really think that SPDIF out should be pre master level adjust and it should be marked SPDIF Record.  Same bus as the analog record jack.  If somebody some where in the world has a PA system that runs on SPDIF, then the DJM2000 should have another SPDIF that is clearly marked SPDIF Master Out.

Just my thoughts....

DetroitJake 0 votes

@DetroitJake Have you tried to change the Digital Out Max Level? (-19dB, -15dB, -10dB, -5dB) Page 24 in the DJM manual...

oakstream 0 votes

@oakstream:  THANKS!  Totally missed that.  Good call.  Much better now.  

DetroitJake 0 votes

Ah yes.  PERFECT.  

Monitoring with nice studio headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm).  Set master bus to same apparent volume level as channel bus.  Set Digital Out Max to -5dB per page 25.  Recording on SPDIF Master Out into Cubase through Tascam sound card.  Adding +5dB (in Cubase) to the record channel.  Then listening to source track and recorded track on separate channels through the mixer and there is NO discernible difference.  THAT is what I wanted.  PERFECT.   Thanks again.  

DetroitJake 0 votes

lads i have a similar issue, detriot jake im sure you replied to my thread m8, thanks for that........... im getting good quality through the djm2k using audacity but when i try to run abelton at the same time one or the other deosnt work. i have realised now that you can only run one application at a time using the djm2k driver as the mixer limits the direct x applications access to one (either ableton or audicity) I have heard you can recompile audacity to use ASIO but this looks like hard work.  I can record using audacity with the 'what you hear' source but i have a $hit soundcard in my system. so my question is if i get a digital in soundcard can i record from the djm using SPDIF in audacity? and will it be as good a sound as recording from the DJM2K driver.  The sound from the djm2k driver is awesome when I record in audacity, just wish i could run abelton at the same time and be able to record my live mix with djm2k driver. 

I have also considered puttin a mac os on my pc as i heard this can be done now using iATKOS S3 Snow Leopard

thanks for the help so far lads

heres my thread:

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/20329542-recording-from-djm2000-with-audacity-while-running-abelton-for-samples-is-this-possible

Zeus Tunage 0 votes

We suggest to the PIONEER Team to add a setting for Digital Master PRE/POST Fader option in the CLUB Setup menu

Carlos C 0 votes