Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

5 abonnés S’abonner

External Recording Devices

I was wondering if anyone has a recomeneded HIGH quality EXTERNAL recording device that i can hook up the the djm 2000? Currently i use to always use serato to record my mixes. But i'm trying to move away from serato as i feel my music files sound too digital through SL3. 

For this reason, i want to move past serato, and actually use the cdj, and djm 2000's sound cards within. Thats why i was wondering if there are any recording devices peopel can recomend out there i can purchase. I know James Zabiela uses a m-audio.... but i dono where to find at guitar center or on ebay. 

Sorry if this was posted in wrong area. Thought its slightly related to mixers.

SpeakerHandz

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

15 commentaires

Hope this helps you!  I use M-audio's Microtrack ll. I have 2 cdj 2000s and djm 2000 and it records great. Its pretty cheap and excellent quality. The limiter on it is a great feature also!!! If you got questions hit me up on my  email. hittingzeus@gmail.com

HittingZeus 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

The Gemini iKey is an inexpensive and decent quality option.

Pulse 0 votes

Although "Decent quality" is fine, is there a "excellent" quality option?

SpeakerHandz 0 votes

There are plenty of options -- what's your budget?

Pulse 0 votes

i dono if this is too much, but something portable in size and maybe under 500$? usd. I just feel a good recording device will go a long ways as long as i keep it good ad take care of it.

SpeakerHandz 0 votes

It's been a while since I looked in this domain but holy crap have the prices come down and the features gone up!

Just a quick browse found the Samson Zoom H1 -- some great reviews and it's around $100 >  http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053

Does what you're looking for plus has great mics for field recording any time you can't plug directly in with a minijack!

Pulse 0 votes

hmmmm im wondering if the field recording using Mics, is the same quality as if i directly plugged a recording device into the "record out" of my djm 2000? 

The product im really looking for would be most likely if i can have 24 bit recording, and also be able to plug into the mixer. I've seen alot of nice recording devices but all only have mics. 

SpeakerHandz 0 votes

That box has a line-in so it's not just the mics, but can do 24/96.  If you want a digital-in device, you likely won't find it for under $500 (but again, I haven't looked in a while.)

Pulse 0 votes

Like I said that Maudio Micro Track ll is great! It has 24/96. Digital or analog recording. Records in wave or mp3 with a built in limiter too. Very Professional sounding.

HittingZeus 0 votes

the old Iriver IHP120 and IHP140 (later renamed the H120 and H140) have digital and analogue line-in, can record direct to PCM WAV and when loaded with Rockbox firmware have a whole host of recording settings such as gain level adjust, AGC, peak meter, clipping indicator

They are becoming very rare now on ebay as nobody has reason to sell. I use my H120 to record my sets. In recording options, it has frequency up to 44.1kHz for analogue line. When I change this to digital, those options become fixed at "same as source"

I have to admit I have never used digital record so can't advise on quality, but line recordings are perfect. I have in 7 years only had a few small issues, with a lot of use. They would seem to have been random errors.

Would recommend one for set recordings, although it won't give you the option to mix in any live crowd noise

This on the other hand looks great, though not sure if it has digital in? 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-LS-5-PCM-Digital-Recorder/dp/tech-data/B003QCK6F8/ref=de_a_smtd

I maybe be able to give feedback on this one soon, think my mate has bought one

Mike Barty 0 votes

I've been using a pair of Edirol R-09HRs (now under the Roland name) for 3 years with no problems at all... one records the Mixer Output (RCA to mini-jack) and the 2nd recorder is placed on a stand in front of the DJ booth to capture the audience reaction/response. 

they record on highly reliable SD cards and have never failed me. Computers have, even the Zoon H4 messed up a couple times, but these babies are very reliable- even recorded sets for Carl Cox, Hernan Cattaneo, DJ Chus, Timo Maas and Armin all through my 2 recorders and they preferred my render over their high end 4-channel recorders that cost 5 times as much (without the microphones). 

Check out the Roland R-09HR ;)

maDJam 0 votes

quick question do they make external recorders with an orange digital input, and how would that sound versus xlr?

Nick Potoczny 0 votes

I pointed out the Olympus model in my previous comment as a possible choice. I can now say I would NOT recommend this for recording dj sets unless you want to have to master the sound afterwards. Whilst the quality is crisp and detailed, it looses all the warmth of the sound and all the low end bass.

I will check out the Roland I think.

Interested to hear if the original poster found a good one?

Mike Barty 0 votes

Ohh now check out the Roland R-26 if you wanna record the mixer output & the crowd... 6 channel recorder very solid, perfect for all my live sets/radio shows/club gigs/events... best recorder on the market if you got over $400 to spend :D

maDJam 0 votes