Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

Djm 900 nexus shut off on me

Hey just came back from a gig which I had to supply my cdjs and mixer. I have owned the mixer for over a year now and I use it about over six hours at a time at home when mixing or making mixes ect... When I do clubs I usually don't have to bring my equipment as the clubs I mix at have there own. well today I brang my 900 nexus and my cdjs and had it pluged to the master out from the balanced xlr. after about two hours of spinning the mixer just shut off. I was like Oh noooo. It took a couple of minutes after I turned it off and turned it on again and it was fine I was able to mix the remaining 2 and a half hours.

Now here is some details

1. When I was mixing I always kept the levels around six which includes the channels and master. So it wasn't that I was pushing the levels too much.
  2. I checked the mixer and it actually was not hot at all when it turned off. When I play at home it does get warm after about 4 hours of use and never had a problem with its performance.
  3. There was nothing blocking it from breathing.
  4. Connected to cdjs so not a ground issue.
  5. I did do an update from 1.20 to 1.21 the morning of and the mixer said success when finished and it did complete as I checked that my version was the current one.
  6. I had the power plug of the mixer pluged in to one of those 15 plug outlet extentions. But when the mixer turned off my cdjs and fan and other connections stayed on so I don't think it was the extention.

Please help as I am doing a 400 plus crowd special event june 8th which is a friday and would not want to have any problems. thanks in advance for any help.

DJ NVASION

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

28 commentaires

What kind of headphones are you using?

Does your mixer have a little white circle on the side of the units housing?

Gavin 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Another question -- was the power cable properly seated in the mixer?

Pulse 0 votes

@gavin yes my mixer has the white circular sticker I did a lot of reasearch before I bought the djm nexus because of the whole headphone issue and made sure I purchased mine from Guitar center after pioneer finally sent them the new batch a couple of months after the release date. Its not the headphones because I have been using the same headphone since I purchased the mixer almost over a year now with no problem except yesterday.

@pulse Yeah after it shut off that was one of the first things I checked when I seen that nothing else shut off. all the connections where on right.

Thanks for the replys please let me know anything I can do Is there any other option besides taking it back to pioneer for a check. Maybe I need a back up kixer for next weekend. This sucks, thanks again guys It looks like I'll mix with it at home for a extensive period and see if it happens again.

DJ NVASION 0 votes

It's always possible that there is something else that has failed within the mixer -- but if you don't mind me asking, what model headphones were you using at the time?

Pulse 0 votes

Hey Pulse I use the Denon Dn Hp-1000.  If it was the case that it was something within the mixer have you heard of the mixer starting back up in a matter of a couple of minutes?   I won't be able to try it extensvily till tuesday so hopefully I will find out if it does it again or not when I use it at home.   Thanks again.  

DJ NVASION 0 votes

Those should be okay, they're not suspect for the headphone problem previously repaired.

If you can, give it a solid run at home -- it's an extremely unusual thing for that to happen and I can't say with any certainty that it will happen again or if it was a one-time fluke occurrence.

Pulse 0 votes

Hey Pulse and Gavin so I did a run through on the Djm nexus and it worked with no problem.   I mixed for about 5 hours and kept the levels like I always do around 6 along with the master out around there as well.  I have two questions because again I am doing a big event in a couple of weeks so I am hoping it was a fluke but the thing about that is sometimes when something goes wrong it a lot easier to be at ease just knowing that you found what was the reason for the turn off.  

So my questiions are is there a easy way to get another power cord for my djm 900.  Reason why is because I can't figure out why it turned off a couple days ago and yesterday it worked flawlessly I just want to cover my bases making sure my power cord for some reason is not glitchy or the problem.(I don't really have any reason to believe its the power cord but just want to have an extra at hand)  

My last question is since yesterday I mixed for about 5 hours with no problem but only had the mixer connected to my amp then to speakers and had the mixer levels about the same as when I did the event where it shut off.  But the power source at the event was loud and when I did my test run my amp volumn was low.   So my question is as long as the mixer was about the same levels from the event that the mixer turned off compared to my test run at home but the power source to the speakers where at a greater difference in volumn does it extract more power from the mixer or does it not matter as long as the mixer levels are the same comparing the event to at home.   Hope that makes sense.  

DJ NVASION 0 votes

First, it's important to understand how electricity works -- while you may think that it just pours in like water at a constant rate, testing your setup with the volume low will have a different electrical environment than when you've got several large amplifier driving a dozen subs.  Those amps are having to push a lot of power with every beat and unless you're running a power conditioner with voltage regulation, you'll find that the mains are likely to be dipping, even if they're on separate circuits from the distro box.  If you have a proper electrical meter you can test this yourself.

As for the cable, you can get another off-the-shelf; it's a standard IEC cable, the same as used on a computer (at least here in North America).

Pulse 0 votes

@pulse thanks for the reply so I def pick up a standard IEC cable just in case.  As far as my last question I think you I need to explain myself better.

What I am trying to make sure even though I believe it does not matter but just want to make sure is when the mixer is at the same volumn levels at two different situations one being the mixer connected to an amp or powered speakers with low levels vs same mixer at the same volumn levels but the amp or powered speakers are at a higher volumn does the powered speakers or amp push the mixer more when the volumn is high even though  the mixer is at the same levels at both situations.  

Reason why I am asking this question is because at the event where the mixer shut off it was connected to there sound system and there levels where at a louder setting but my mixer stayed at a 6 level in volumn (channels and master).   At home when I tested it to make sure it did not turn off the mixer was at the same volumn levels at around 6 but my amp was on low.  So since the mixer was at the same levels at both situations does the mixer get pushed even though the levels are the same if its connected to an amp or powered speakers that are at a high volumn setting compared to a lower volumn setting?

DJ NVASION 0 votes

If it were an internal overheating issue, provided the levels are the same, it would be the same -- it's the external power that would play more bearing.  

Pulse 0 votes

Dear pulse and nvasion, I hade the same problem (3 times) the mixer schuts down whit no reason.. And the wake up light is flashing. This is a mixer in a Barr that, runs for about 10 hours a day. If send the mixer back to pioneer for 2 times already 1 time they could not find the problem or reproduce the problem, and they send the mixer back to me the second time they could not find the problem again or reproduce it, bud they replaced the motherboard in the mixer, now jesterday 3de time the same problem and now it's on his way to pioneer again.. When it happens the second time I made a movie, from the mixer and yesterday I made the second movie of the movie malfunction, I'm still in the prosses of fixing the mixer, and I that that I was the only one whit the problem, let's say a monday morning mixer, now I'm hooping pioneer can find this big bugg, and help others like you.
Greets dj troj

DJ TROJ 0 votes

@dj troj saw your video man that sucked was that at a party sounded like it. Did it ever turn back on? Since my inccodent I have used my mixer at home and it works perfectly fine. I have a gig this friday so I will post back let you know if any issues.

I have a few questions, how long did you own the mixer and does it have the white sticker either in the back or side of the mixer? Did it turn back on eventually if so how long did it take? Did you shut the mixer off wait a few seconds and turn it back on? Was the mixer hot when this happened?

Regardless this mixer should not have done that but in my case It was neither one of those issues but when the mixer shut off on me I turned the power off and after about a minute it was fine. I have been mixing at home and no problems so far this past week And I am doing a event this friday. Just want to see if you did what i did when it shut off. Hope you get the answers you need this mixer way too expensive to have issues such as this. So far I am chalking it up as a fluke since it happened at a club that had quite a few plugs connected where my mixer was connected to. But then again my mixer was the only think that turned off.

DJ NVASION 0 votes

@nvasion About The white stikker i Realy don't know, we have The mixer 4 About for months, i turnd The power switch off And on again still no working mixer, I can't tell you if it turn back on again because we have a backup mixer (djm 800) it's not a power plugg issu because I use the same power plugg that I have used for the djm

DJ TROJ 0 votes

800 for 2 years (and when the 900 faild on me ) Used the Same powerplugg agian for the djm 800.. I recomend that you send the mixer to pioneer and let them check your mixer, and Maby they will find your problem, I'll will keep you posted on my mixer.. It's to expensive to be unreliable!

Greets

DJ TROJ 0 votes

I did the event last friday with no problem. My djm 900 worked how it should the whole night. So I guess it was the clubs outlet source that was the problem maybe since the 900 demands more power that it was the only thing that shut off vs my two cdjs and what ever else that was connected by the club at the time that stayed on when the incident happened.

DJ NVASION 0 votes

@TROJ > What kind of headphones are you using with the 900?

Pulse 0 votes

I use the hdj-2000, but how is that relevant? :) could that make that kind of malfunction!?

DJ TROJ 0 votes

Those were the headphones connected when the unit went to standby mode?

Pulse 0 votes

Yes that where the headphones that I used and that where connected.

DJ TROJ 0 votes

@TROJ > Which Pioneer repair center did it go to?  I'm going to see if the engineers can communicate with them directly to find out what was checked.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi everyone, The same problem with a 4 month old DJM 900 mixer has happened on me on 2 different occasions in a nightclub setup. Less than 2 hours into a set, the mixer just dies completely.All other devices on the same extension lead continue working. I did not notice any flashing light that Dj Troj had. In my efforts to regain power, I tried switching the power off and on again and I re-seated the power lead on both the mixer end and the extension lead end to no avail. Eventually after about a minute or 2, the mixer just powers back up again. As I said, this has only happened on 2 occasions but has just happened these past few weeks so I'm worried that it could get gradually worse and eventually die. I'm a bit apprehensive on sending it off to a Pioneer repair centre just yet for 2-3 weeks because it will probably just come back with no fault found if they cannot reproduce the problem. I presume Pioneer have a worldwide database of regular issues for their different products that can be referred to ????

paddyhdj 0 votes

@paddyhdj > Is there a white circular sticker somewhere on the unit?

Gavin 0 votes

I have'nt noticed but I will check on Saturday night when I get back to the club.What is the white sticker about ?

paddyhdj 0 votes

There was a certain issue when the product originally launched where it could shut down - all mixers since have this sticker.

Gavin 0 votes

So if it does'nt have this sticker does that mean we might have one of the first generation mixers that have a known issue of shutting down ? If so, should Pioneer not be replacing this unit for us rather than us going through the inconvenience of being without it for 3 - 4 weeks by sending it back (at our own cost) to a Pioneer Repair Centre. The serial number is KEMP003254YY is there any way you would know from that if it's first generation ?

paddyhdj 0 votes

@paddyhdj > Its unlikely at this stage that this is the problem with the unit, I just want to double check. Pioneer did rectify the problem at their own cost when the issue was discovered.

Gavin 0 votes

You could always contact technical support and they could tell you.  We don't have access to serial number databases here on the forums.

Pulse 0 votes