Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

[CLOSED] DJM 900 Nexus Problems

Hey Guys,

I hate getting on here to complain, since I am an avid Pioneer user and only find myself in these forums when the $hit hits the fan, but here goes. I have had my 900 since October 2011 and since purchasing, it has been in for service once this past fall, right before falling out of warranty, for the color effect nob filter on channel 2. Basically the when any effect on the color bank was effected, it would erratically respond, with the filter engaged it would bounce all over the spectrum from high to low pass and had no sloped, steady curve, like the filter normally would based on the direction turned. Long story short, this was repaired under warranty, not even 2 months later the problem had returned.

My solution has been to stop using channels 2/3 for sound, which is fine lately since I am doing video mixing with mixemergency and assigned the inner channels to midi parameters, but about a month ago, the color nob on channel four has now gone into the same state rendering 2 of the 4 color nobs useless. Again, fine, I have been playing larger clubs and find that high pass filters on some big systems become excruciating, but none the less, I can't even low pass since it will more likely bounce back into the high range. I am not a big baller, so I rely on and use this mixer at most of my gigs, since a lot of venues are still using older stuff. Getting these nobs fixed is a priority, but I am starting to fear the Pioneer authorized repair center, since it seems like once it has been "repaired" things get worse after temporarily getting better.

In the last week and a half, I have now started to have issues with my effects. The unit previously was quick to read/display auto bpm on BASIC house tracks, suddenly this isn't happening, no worries, quick tap or manual adjust is not the end of the world, but then to my horror, I try and introduce an echo and no effect is added as I move the wet/dry nob, then suddenly tons of echo and what I can perceive based on testing at home is that the pot seems to respond perfectly when the nob is turned with a bit of pressure pushing up. All of these little issues are adding up quickly and beginning to effect my ability to perform as a whole. When you are actually mixing video, audio, mashing up live, and managing the punters trying to talk shop or request some bullshit, the little hiccups I have described are magnified and become massive headaches.

I am so reluctant to return the mixer for service to the previous shop because I know I will be without it for a week at least, which I can handle but then comes the price tag of fixing these issues, 160 plus parts seems to be the rate of the service center I have used in LA area. And to complicate things even more, the center is ran by less than English proficient, NON-DJ's, so explaining these problems is like trying to explain rocket science to a toddler. Has anyone experienced anything like I have described. I searched but saw little beyond my own previous post about the color knob going bad. Has anyone in the LA area used a authorized repair center out of warranty and had favorable results? To make matters worse, one of my CDJ 2000 had the center post break off now for the 3rd time collectively between the two decks.

Please do not take this post as a bash at pioneer, that is not what it is, more of a cry for professionals out there to offer input and suggested repair center/solutions so that I can get my gear serviced in the most equitable manner and with the least bit of downtime. I use my gear almost daily, for HOURS when gigging and would like to see anything besides Pioneer make it this far without suffering some major issues.With that in mind, because I use it so much and have become extremely dependent on features made available in my current configuration, when things go wrong, it is devastating. Pioneer is not without flaw, but seriously, no tech good today can claim perfection, but Pioneer get pretty damn close and when you are standing in front of 1000 people or more, the last thing you want to think about is tech problems. For this reason, as a professional DJ, Pioneer is the only gear I will use.

Thanks for reading, sorry for being wordy, but I feel like the more descriptive and detailed, the less time wasted asking for specifics.

Christopher Feliciano

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

18 commentaires

@Christopher > Terribly sorry to hear about these issues you are having - thank you for the comprehensive explanation, I appreciate it.

Given that you are in the LA area, I would advise you to contact Pioneer technical support and arrange to have the unit sent to Long Beach (you may even decide to take it yourself if thats an option) to arrange repair. I would advise them that you had already taken the unit for repair but it doesn't appear that it was repaired correctly and, although you are now out of the warranty period, you were within the warranty period during the original repair (which didn't work).

Contact details are on the right >>

How does this seem as a solution to you?

Gavin 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Hey Gavin,

I was under the impression that Pioneer would not touch the unit and that only a factory authorized service center would. I wouldn't have taken the unit to the closest center, Bestec Electornics, which I believe is actully further from me than Pioneer is. I will give support a call tomorrow and see what I can arrange. I would much rather have my unit repaired by Pioneer than a authorized center, but years ago when I had an accident with a CDJ I was told to take it to an authorized repair center and my mistake if I assumed that meant that was the way all issues warranty or out of warranty were treated.

I will give your solution a shot and report back if I run into any issues. Thanks for your prompt response. Like I have said in all my posts on here, there is a reason I spend a few extra bucks for the pro level gear.

Thank You

Christopher Feliciano 0 votes

If they can't handle the repair directly, then I'd ask them how they recommend you solve your problem or where you should bring it.

Gavin 0 votes

Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to give you an update. I spoke to Pioneer Customer Service this AM and was informed that the Long Beach facility does do in-house repairs, but due to current demands on the department, current repair times were approximately 3-4 weeks. Based on my first post, this would be crippling to my current schedule. I did receive info from the extremely helpful customer service rep. for another authorized repair center, but the one I had been taking things to currently, Bestec in the city of Gardena, I was told is a premeire location for Pioneer. At this time, I am waiting to here whether Pioneer will be willing to fix the previously warrantied color nob on channel two, but I am guessing the other two that are now acting erratic will be my own responsibility. I tell you what, my lesson learned through all of this and the stuff that I have needed to repair on my CDJ 2000's is that extended warranties are a damn good bargain when you start to add up labor for each one of these out of warranty repairs. I picked up a white pair of HDJ 2000's last week and made sure I added on 2 years of extended warranty for 24 bucks, so with that peace of mind, I should be good to go with these cans for 3 years.

Thanks for your help! Hoping to get the mixer in by midweek since I have no gigs this weekend where I am required to bring my own gear. :)

@Christopher > Thanks for coming back with the update. I hope all of your issues are resolved to your satisfaction and I certainly hope you don't have too much down time. Indeed, if you do have an upcoming gig perhaps the Bestec may be able to provide you with loaner equipment while yours is being repaired - ask them at the very least!

Gavin 0 votes

Hey Gavin,

So mixer was delivered to the repair center today and I am pleased to say that after speaking with customer service, I was granted mixer repair for free. You guys are the best, and this would an example as to why. Ironic that with all this going down, one of my CDJ 2000's decided the display no longer needed to work, but hey, 3 years old, stuff is bound to go wrong at this point. I am fine with repairing the display now that I know my mixer will cost me nothing. Just for you own reference, check out: http://youtu.be/dQNLeDkgSfM for my video capture of the CDJ acting crazy before the screen completely stopped working. I don't have the energy to start another thread, but I figured you would like to see this.

Thanks for the AMAZING customer service. You guys are what all companies should aspire to. :)

Excellent! Glad you were taken care of so well.

Yeah, that CDJ is definitely funky. Take it into the repair centre too and see what they say... I wouldn't imagine its too difficult a fix either.

Gavin 0 votes

I dropped everything off with mixer. Figured its better now than doing it piece meal. Had a usb post break off on the other CDJ so it was time to just have everything serviced so that all my gear was back in top noctch condition. :) I will say, I played on Nexus's tonight and really, really want to upgrade to them asap, but I can't justify the purchase until Serato offers up some advanced HID support since that is the only way I can mix music videos at the moment and that would be at least half my bookings. Avalon here in LA gives my partner and I 2000 nexus's every Thursday and the more I play on them, the more I have fallen in love with the display, slip mode, display's detail and more. Now, as soon as Serato releases the necessary update for advanced HID support, which I hope comes sooner than later, I will gladly continue to rock my 2000's! :)

Thanks for the update, Christopher - I hope you're back playing out live again soon!

Gavin 0 votes

Hey Gavin, 

I have had to make some adjustments to my sets for the last week, but after some headache, received my gear back from repair Friday for my event later that day. The issues I had with the Nexus, as well as with my CDJ's were not wrapped up, but I managed to work around the broken elements and get through my set. Sadly my CDJ issues including the screen going off and then rebooting was supposedly repaired, only to return halfway through my set Friday night. Sadly, at one point the reboot that I mentioned on that CDJ actually engaged a pitch shift that had to happen as I was mixing two tracks together. Not the greatest feeling train wrecking in front of hundreds, especially when it was more of an equipment issue than my skills, but nothing I really could do but work through it. Will have to return gear this week once the parts are delivered to the repair center and hopefully wrap up all of my repair issues. 

Might I suggest to Pioneer some sort of professional qualifications for your authorized repair centers. A DJ friend of mine pointed out to me that most professional computers (dell for businesses, Lenovo Thinkpads etc.) are given a certain level of repair preference since it is recognized that the users rely on these items to make their income. In my opinion, this same treatment should be given by Pioneer to customers like myself who purchase CDJ 2000's, Nexus mixers and other HIGH-END gear, ensuring that all repairs are carried out in a certain amount of time to ensure that we aren't forced to loose business or sacrifice the quality of our performances due to our repair center not being able to repair gear within a given time frame. It really seems that most of your preferred repair centers should be able to handle meeting your guidelines, like 48 hr repair times, even if it required they stock a few common repair parts on hand to make sure gear is not left in limbo while they wait for silly things like USB jacks or ethernet ports, like was the case with my CDJ's. Since we spend the money on professional gear, it would help to ensure that if this gear requires service, it doesn't cripple our business fulfilling such service. Not all of us have multiple back up units to rely on. Thanks for reading this suggestion and my overall update. 

Christopher, just out of curiosity because i had a similar issue, when the screen reboots is the whole deck turning on and off, or just the screen itself rebooting? I had this issue, the deck would continue to play fine but the video board was going bad and kept making my deck look like it was actually being restarted like in my video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72LykSmANQ

BriChi 0 votes

Hey BriChi, what your video shows is the exact thing I experienced with my deck. Player is functioning, screen restarts over and over, but since I am using Serato advanced HID when it has happened, and despite having some issues with the connection last Friday, the screen itself seemed to be originally the only problem and didn't effect the playback, I just assumed it was Serato since it was in advanced HID mode. Here's a link to a video of my player exhibiting the issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNLeDkgSfM

yup, 100% what I had, I believe the board I replaced that fed the LCD for video was the TFTB ASSY p/n DWX2882. It definitely wasn't the screen though, it was the board. that board has the connector on it for the screen and feeds the video signal to it

BriChi 0 votes

What blows my mind is how the Pioneer authorized repair center was not able to figure that out? They said they reset an error code inside the player and that it didn't require parts.

Lol. Amazing right. That's why I just fix my own stuff once it's out of warranty.

BriChi 0 votes

I wish I was confident enough to undertake these repairs on my own, but I just worry that I will end up causing further damage to a broken unit and end up having to dish out even more cash.

I hear ya, sometimes it's not worth the risk! I just happen to do a lot of this for a living so I am pretty confident.

BriChi 0 votes

@Christopher > As I'm sure you'll appreciate, Pioneer DJ equipment is in a much smaller market than, say, Dell or Lenovo. Therefore, the repair centres that are chosen have electrical engineers that repair the gear according to the provided service manual provided to them by Pioneer (and likely those service engineers will also be able to service a whole range of equipment from other manufacturers too). In the event the unit cannot be repaired by the authorised service centre the equipment is shipped back to Pioneer for repair.

While I appreciate it doesn't instill you with the greatest of confidence, this has been a system that is used by many manufacturers in this market all over the world with a satisfactory level of approval.

Your feedback is always appreciated and I will happily pass this information along to HQ.

Gavin 0 votes