Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

1 abonné S’abonner

[SOLVED] DJM mixer distortion in EQ routing to any output.

Dear people, 

Years ago I bought a DJM-800 and contacted Pioneer several times about some bugs in the software and sound quality issues. FYI, I never got any reply back. I am going to address one here which I think is the most important one and has never been fixed to my knowledge, because even in the new 900nexus I still notice it. 

This problem is distortion in the 3000Hz (maybe the crossover point) region when utilizing the EQ's on any given channel, when using any analog source. I haven't tested if it's also there when playing directly from digital input.

For example, when I play vinyl through the DJM-800 or DJM-900 (EQ-mode) and using the EQ's quickly or isolating a specific instrument in the high and mid frequencies in a rhythmic manner the distortion is added. The best way to hear it is to test with the high and mid pods, because it is more difficult to hear the distortion in the 3000Hz when using the low pod. Some would say that is normal because low doesn't reach to 3000Hz... but I am not sure it is band related. It is almost like the voltage going through the pods adds to that specific frequency when handled like mentioned above. 

Any way I recorded it and send it to Pioneer. This time I got some response, but to my idea it wasn't really taken as a serious matter and even the add-on e-mail I send pointing out specific details was not replied back. This to me is very serious and that's why I am asking people here in this forum to test for themselves with their own DJM mixers to listen and see (graphical EQ) if they have the same issue, because I didn't test all of Pioneers products. 

So with no more delay I will point out how to re-create the problems I experienced with the DJM-800' and DJM-900's. 

I used all sorts of analog sources so any will work for others also (Line-in, Phone). Furthermore you could record the test for future investigation to see in a graphical EQ program whether you have the problem or not. (maybe it is firmware related) If you are ready to test just play any track, listen (preferably with headphones) and just randomly or rhythmically turn the knobs (all the way minus and plus, so watch your output in the headphones for example). Try different things like, killing the high's, leave low in the middle and then play with the snare in the mid frequencies... be creative and whilst doing this listen for any added noise that wasn't there in the first place. 

When you recorded like I did, look for the peak in the 3000Hz. You will not hear of find anything unless you tweak the  EQ's for example like Joe Claussell, Derrick May, or Theo Parrish :) 

I've added a screenshot where it shows a little peak of the added noise in a part where I heavily tweaked the mid pod.

This screenshot shows that in the lead-in to when the track starts (vinyl) I already started to tweak and the peak is quite audible.

I am really curious if it is in all the DJM-mixers.

Regards,

R.

Ronald Lemmers

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

18 commentaires

*BUMP*

Since this thread has not been dealt with, I have put another attachment.

This time an audio file with the sound in it whenever the eq's are used.

Cut from 0 or boost from 0... it doesn't matter, there is distortion either way.

Check it out for yourself and if your hearing is worse than mine bump it up or get a graphical EQ and boost the 3000Hz frequency with a bell shape + make it a bit narrow to exclude it more from the rest.

The audio file is just some messing about and to reproduce the problem, to let people hear what I am talking about.

I don't know if Pioneer cares, because it just sold it DJ division, but hey ho... hope this will be dealt with soon. It just takes too long for any reply on this, whilst other have been dealt with before this one, whilst having the same date.

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Two weeks later after the first post and still no reply?

Has nobody from Pioneer picked it up and send it to the technicians?

Is this a hush hush topic?

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

Hello?

Anybody caring enough to check this post out?

Pioneer really loves its costumers!

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

Bumping your own post will not get it addressed any quicker.

I've pushed this to the engineers for investigation.

Pulse 0 votes

At least my "bump" got an reply from you, which is a way into the right direction.

It being pushed to engineers for investigation is that it gets adressed.

I would not know if I didn't do what I did.

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

No, your post got my attention because I was working through unanswered posts. Bumping it wasn't why I replied.

Pulse 0 votes

Any way, I am glad it is taken up, which is a positive thing and I hope they address it.

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

@Ronald > The engineers have investigated the issue and will explore the possibility of addressing the quality within the current hardware through firmware updates if possible. Thanks for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes

@Ronald > The engineers do have a couple of questions for you...

Engineers in charge of DJM series listened to the audio file you kindly attached to the thread. When they listened to the music at the max volume or at around 3000Hz, they noticed the distortion. However, one of them tested to loop the first 4 beats, where he assumed EQ was not enabled, and then turn the EQ knob many times in different ways, he was not able to reproduce such distortion he heard in the other parts of the file. Actually, it is very difficult for him to distinguish the original audio and the sound using EQ in this WAV file. 

Would it be possible to attach the original track file without using any FX or EQ? Would you please let us know when you used EQ by indicating something like “0:23” for example?  Or, would you please attach the video to show when you used EQ? 

Pulse 0 votes

Happy New Year first of all.

I attached two files recorded from vinyl.

One with EQ-altering and one without altering the EQ.

It's clearly audible with most records when playing the first bits without too much instruments, so the frequency is not being obscured.

I hope this helps because I see difficulty trying to make a video to show what I actually doing, but it is quite simple.

One is altering high and mid... sometimes together sometimes single... also with or without the low... fast and slow.

Sometimes it is even noticeable with good ears without touching the EQ.

To be more precise with the file which is altered I've put the time indication below:

I start the altering of the EQ's at 0:04 seconds and from there on I almost constantly (with short pauzes) altering the highs and the low with an occasional low frequency. (Slow turning fast turning and everything in between.)

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

I hear the "chiming" where there really should be none ... how are you recording?

Pulse 0 votes

I recorded from vinyl this time.

1 SL1210mk2 connected to the RCA Phono input of the DJM-800... than connected a RCA "record-out" from the DJM-800 to a soundcard RCA "line-in" which was connected to my laptop through USB. I recorded this in Traktor Scratch Pro in CD quality.

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

Hello there,

I was wondering if there was already some news on the matter from the engineers.

Regards,

R.

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

Sorry for the delay -- What is the USB audio interface you are using to input the audio from the mixer?

Pulse 0 votes

For that recording I used the Traktor audio 8, but with any USB interface I used had the same effect.

It's not USB related it comes directly from the mixer... I hear it also through the headphone output from the mixers.

I wonder if I can get in contact directly with the Techies!

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

It has been over half a year since this issue was noted by Pioneer.

Is the issue resolved or unresolved?

Ronald Lemmers 0 votes

Sorry, Pioneer has not yet found a possible measure to improve this issue only by a software update. Thank you very much for your patience.

Pulse 0 votes