Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

1 abonné S’abonner

DJM350 Mixer...Recording Problem...

I have got a djm350 mixer, which I use with 2 turntables and a hifi, simple set up. I bought the mixer as it is "easy" to record mixes with the built in usb port for a memory stick...it records, but when the file is downloaded onto my laptop, the volume is very low and barely audible. I have tried all variations of setting the volumes and trim etc, but makes no difference. I cannot be the only one who has had this problem, few have suggested uploading to audacity to edit the volume etc, bu to be honest, I bought the mixer to make it easy and avoid all that arsehole...I miss the days of cassettes!! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

freshuk

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

19 commentaires

The recording level is based on your channel gain levels, minus the overhead of the mixer. This is to avoid unintentional clipping of the signal, which in the digital domain, is quite harsh. It is recommended that you boost the levels using software after recording regardless.

Pulse 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Thanks Pulse, What is the quickest and easiest way to boost the levels using software? I have never had any involvement with audio software, thanks again.

freshuk 0 votes

Audacity is pretty easy, plus it's free.

Open the recording within Audactiy, select all to get the entire waveform, then go to Effect > Amplify and make it so you don't allow clipping and your peaks are -0.1dB. Allow it to process, then export your track.

Pulse 0 votes

Many thanks, I will have a go this week, will let you know how I get on, thanks again bud, much appreciated.

freshuk 0 votes

No problem, let us know if you have any other questions.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi Pulse, just playing with audacity..do I alter the New Peak Amplitude to 0.1db? One above, Amplification is showing 5.5...thanks

freshuk 0 votes

You want your peaks to be below 0dB; make sure that 0.1 is negative!

Pulse 0 votes

Should the trim be left at 12 o' clock? Where should the channel gains and master be set? Thanks.

freshuk 0 votes

No - your channel trims should be set so the channel meters peak around the 0dB mark (the last green / first orange), the master meter set so when the channel faders are at the top, the master meter peaks the same as the channel meter when one channel is playing.

Pulse 0 votes

Didn't notice the minus db. Thanks again, will have a play, so should the faders always be all the way up for recording?

freshuk 0 votes

Just set it up as you said and it is distorting badly...

freshuk 0 votes

See the block diagram on page 9 of the manual:

http://site2.pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRB1502F_en.pdf

It shows the signal flow from the channel through the fader, then crossfader, to the recording. It inserts BEFORE the master fader.

The manual also indicates for best recording levels, the channel levels should be at the first orange LED (page 15, in the troubleshooting).

Are you above the first orange LED on the channel meter?

Pulse 0 votes

On first orange with trim, fader up full, master set to the same light too, distorts badly. Struggling to get my head round, 3 different volumes for the recording side, normal playing is fine, keep it out the red and use the amp to increase volume when good bit more is required. My last mixer had no trim..I ran a recording through audacity, forgetting to put -db, put plus instead and sounded better, still bit distant. Can this be bettered in audacity or do the mixer settings have to be right or it will never souns spot on? Appreciate the help bud.

freshuk 0 votes

Hi, I ran the recording through audacity at -o.1db, still too quiet..surely it shouldn't be this difficult. What has the most bearing on the recording volume, the master I assume?

freshuk 0 votes

What is distorting? The raw recording? You can't be telling me it's distorting AND too quiet...?

Pulse 0 votes

When playing a track that is, and the recording is still quiet.

freshuk 0 votes

If you're distorting through your speakers, you may either be sending them too much signal or overamplifying the signal. If you're not in the red on the mixer, you're not distorting signal there. Where you COULD be distorting signal is if you have the line level connections on the phono inputs.

The recorded mix WILL be low-signal and will require boosting through an audio editor, as previously mentioned. The exact amount of boost required will depend on the level of the recording and you should experiment to find what works best for each recording.

Pulse 0 votes