Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

Advice needed on HDD

Hi all,

I'm in the process of re-ripping my music collection into AIFF files (they were in mp3 before). Obviously, now, the files take up much more space and my laptop is only 500gb internal and I need much more. I'm thinking about buying a 2tb external HDD. This would connect to my laptop via USB 2.0 (because my laptop does not have any USB 3.0 slots). I have 2x CDJ-2000, and a DJM-900.

Two questions:

Firstly, when I connect the decks to the laptop via link (using rekordbox) as usual will the fact that all my music will be being read off an external HDD cause any problems?

Secondly, would buying a HDD enclosure and internal HDD separately, and making an external HDD myself be a better/cheaper option?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Stereojack

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

5 commentaires

When using Rekordbox Link, it can pull the music from the external drive no problem - this is how I do it now.

While I'm a geek and I really like the variety of options available in selecting my own drive and enclosure, there are some really well-made off-the-shelf options out there, some are even cheaper than what you could do yourself for similar spec.

Pulse 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Ok, that's great news. I'm a bit of a geek too, but I think i'm going to just buy an external HDD.

Also, i'm basically in the process of setting up a sort of complete audio setup in my living room (decks included), and i'm wondering if you (Pulse) or anyone else can give me any advice? I want to have all my music in one place, but I also want to not only be able to access that music through my decks but also listen to it over my hi-fi (which is not connected to my decks). Would getting a network drive be a good idea? I've heard about problems with 'Jitter' when streaming music wireless or through a network.

Stereojack 0 votes

If you've got a 100Mbit connection (which is old by today's standards; most are now 1GB and 10GB is making its way into consumer networks now), you're able to cram 12.5MB/s down the pipe (theoretical max).  Even if you only got half of that, let's call it 6MB/s for argument's sake, you're still way above the rate of a 16bit/44.1K stream (172KB/s), but that's if you're sending CD-quality audio.  If you're streaming, it may be compressed.  

How were you planning on getting the audio over your network?  Airport Express or something of the like?

Pulse 0 votes

Well, I was going maybe buy a network HDD, and have all my music on there. The HDD would connect to my network switch, which would also be connected to my router, and my decks. I was going to somehow access the HDD from my laptop over the network. I've attached a quick diagram to illustrate. Not sure if this set-up would work!

Stereojack 0 votes

Theoretically it should work, although with a network-based HDD solution you will undoubtedly run into problems from time to time.

Also, there's been a flood in Thailand a while ago, where most of the hard drives are made, so hard drive prices are out of wack at the moment (2TB WD Green used to be around $70, last week was $240)... if you can wait I suggest wait until their prices go down again.

DJT 0 votes