Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

10 abonnés S’abonner

Where's the no-CD, no-laptop DJ equipment?

Hi Pioneer guys. At the risk of sounding truly ancient, I've been switching over from vinyl to digital and am a bit mystified about what looks like a gap in the Pioneer's product range. Well, everyone's product range actually. 

Here's the thing. With a day job as well as DJ gigs, last thing I want to do is bring my laptop to club or bar, to stare at it some more while mixing tunes. I think Traktor and Serato are great products, no offense there, I just think in any club/bar environment where you're up close and personal with the crowd, I don't want and patrons don't want to see me noodling away on a laptop. Visual impressions matter.

So that points me at CDJs, ok no worries. But at the same time I'm perplexed why CDJs nowadays need CD players inside them at all, with all the size, weight, cost  and reliability issues they bring with them, rather than just USB stick input. Maybe there's a legacy issue of building systems that people can play ye olde audio CDs on. But I would expect that to be fading pretty fast, and already wouldn't apply to everyone - EG my music collection is vinyl + wav/mp3, with no physical CD collection in between.

I guess I'm saying I want the pioneer quality build of an interface device like a DDJ S1/T1/ERGO, built large and comfortable for serious use, but I don't want to have to plug a laptop into it, just a USB stick with some tunes. Put another way, I want a pair of CDJ900s but I don't want to pay for CD slots in them I'll never use. I've seen a few bottom-end rinkydink products from other manufacturers along these lines, but they're tiny mounts with 2-inch jog wheels and 4 inch pitch sliders. Pathetic. At the upper end Numark have the NS7 which seems almost the thing. So how about it? Or am I being really dense and not seeing you're already making this? Thanks for reading.

Cynan

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

47 commentaires

Someone submitted an idea and was supposed to get a free RMX unit?

It was a joke when I said it was in the mail.  Let's move on now shall we?

Pulse 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Thank you guys now i'm more confused than ever before lol...

Sammy 0 votes

@Cynan > Not sure if you have seen the XDJ-Aero but I've been playing around with it for some time now. I think it's a step in the right direction and covers a lot of what you mention above. It's a very economical size controller, that you can use with or without a laptop, with or without a mobile device (tablet or smartphone), can accept more inputs if you want to use the mixer and CDJs. Very little clutter too - 1x power cable and 1x RCA output cable to your amp.

Gavin 0 votes

Hi Gavin & Pioneer folks. Sorry been off the radar for a while, lots of other stuff getting in the way!

I did recently pick up on the release of the XDJ-Aero, and what do you know, really does seem to fit the bill of the product that I am looking for. I'm not that fussed about the wifi integration but the fact that it has phono ins to make it workable as the central unit with turntables either side as well, sounds like it is just the ticket. Will be getting down to a retail store as soon as possible to test and v likely buy. Thanks for delivering a product to spec!

Cynan 0 votes

@Cynan > Good to see you around again, hope you are well.

Gavin 0 votes

I'm looking into getting back into spinning again(haven't played since 2003), everything has changed since then and gone digital as you all know. I don't want to spend a fortune and do not want to use a laptop so have been thinking about getting the xdj-aero and just using my android of I pad along with it. Does anybody here that has used or bought the aero have any thoughts on this? Will this purchase satisfy we long term and would it prepare me for playing out at a club or big party set up? Any advice would be appreciated

Gavin crawford 0 votes

@Gavin > Welcome to the forums and good luck to getting back into the industry. I think you'll be quite happy with the XDJ-Aero - its packed full of features and functions but to truly get an understanding of it, I'd recommend testing out the gear at tradeshows or at your local DJ store as well as watching YouTube reviews etc. DJworx.com is always reliable for independent reviews.

Gavin 0 votes

And i would like to see a controller with the ability to hook up external effectsmachines like EFX 1000 and RMX 1000, controller with separate send and return, that had been AWSOME!

Pioneer The one & Only ;D

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/35b86zs.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers

/Martin

Martin (SzM) Andersson 0 votes

I would like to see a standalone 4-channel unit, no cd's, no need for a computer/wifi? One that works with rekordbox via usb stick/sd card, that has hot cue's. Hopefully one with send and return so I could hook up an effects unit. Hopefully not in too distant future?

Till then I guess I will have to make do with a DDJ-SX, once i get the thing. Not relishing importing all my tunes to Serato and redoing all my cue's and loops!

n1ck76 0 votes

I would like to see a controller with the FX on-board, rather than dependant on the software. This will level the playing field a bit.

Bruce Miller 0 votes

Okay! Finally I have found a place and people who get it! Come on Pioneer...please!  With all kind and heartfelt respect we need you to get this together.  I can not help but acknowledging that once this player is available it will without a doubt put all other players/mixers to their grave.  I have not read all the other comments on this, but assuredly someone has brought this to light.

So what do we do now?  Halt forward progress?  Buy all the pending patents from other manufacturers so that we may continue to sell obsolete, outdated, devices? Computers are now being shipped without CD burners, this is a telling of the times.

Please, please. please release a mixer/player with minimal effects and two flash drive slots for those of us who just wish to mix together two tracks of great music that is already well produced.  No need for the bells and whistles IMHO.

Peace!

skyko 0 votes

@Skyko > Are you aware Pioneer released a player without the CD drive today?

Gavin 0 votes

Sorry Gavin to have to bring this back up.. but after all the chit chat about FLAC support for the CDJ's and all the issues with that in these forums.  Pioneer goes about and builds the XDJ-1000 and completely leaves this out?  I mean what gives they have to know a good amount of their users want this right?  It can't be technology problems... is PioneerDJ afraid of submarine patents?  IF so why isn't Serato or Native Instruments?  Why doesn't Pioneer DJ seem to care about this feature... the truth would be nice.

Sean VanderMolen 0 votes

Hi Gavin,

@Gavin

Thank you for your note.

My point is that many DJ's stopped playing CD's about 3 years ago.  We need a player that has no CD drives,_ just_ a flash drives option.

skyko 0 votes

@Gavin

Thank you . . . I think we are getting warmer in our correspondence.  2 players with a built in mixer like the Pioneer R-1 without CD players.  : )

skyko 0 votes