Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Questions about EQing. New to djing, help!

So I recently started djing. I love it so far and hope to some day be good as some of the big names out there. I dj trance and progressive music. So one thing I'm confused about is EQing. My friend is a dj and he told me he has his hi's, mids, and lows knobs almost all the way up. Then again I've been watching live performances from djs such as Markus Schultz, Armin, Tritonal etc and I see they have all the EQ knobs at a 12 o clock position. The only one I see them move from those are the low end ones when transitioning from one track to another. I am aware of cutting frequencies in bass on that aspect. Do you guys leave your EQ knobs in the middle or do you have them at different positions? Thanks for the help in advance.

Miguel

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

6 commentaires

@Miguel > You shouldn't have to move your EQs anywhere really outside the 12 o'clock parameter. I'm not sure why you friend believes it is necessary to increase the EQs to 100% but its likely he is experiencing distortion / clipping at those levels. Does his VU meter run into the red? Yes? Well thats bad.

Mixing tracks is slightly different in that you may wish to choose to remove certain frequencies from the mix - the Low EQ / Bass being the most common as two bass lines can sound a little muddy.

So yes, to answer your question, I start with my EQs at the 12 o'clock position and move them from there as necessary (but I rarely have to increase them).

Gavin 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

@Gavin- Thanks! I was wondering that myself until i started to watch videos and i see djs leaving the EQs at 12 o clock and rarely moving then with the exception of the low EQ. Thanks for the info!

Miguel 0 votes

@gavin also quick question. Why when I plug in my mixer( xdj aero) and I play my music with the eq knobs at 12 I clock everything seems to sound a bit flat? When I play the same sounds in iTunes I can hear the hi's, mids and bass more. I have krk studio monitors. Thanks!

Miguel 0 votes

@Miguel > You are welcome.

iTunes has a built in equaliser so its likely all the time you've been listening to tracks through iTunes they have been EQ'd in some way and don't seem as "flat" as playing them now, when the EQs haven't been adjusted.

Gavin 0 votes

hi Gavin,

I need to know please if the new coming XDJ R1 controller is compatible rekordbox just like the AERO? I mean can we play from smart phone or tablets thru rekordbox, or only with Apple products? can we also use the remotebox app with the XDJ AERO?

thanks a lot

Dj Tony

tony ghosn 0 votes

@Tony > Please post your question in the correct forum. Your question has nothing to do with the related topic.

Gavin 0 votes