Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Gear route for beginners, wanting to learn

Hi guys

I am very new to the whole DJ scene. I have been spending way to much time thinking about doing it, but never did because i believed i would not be able to, technically and also due to my job, son, wife etc. I luckily met a Dj while at a club and that man beat some sense into my brain and told me that my excuse was pathetic, he manages and if its really what you want to do, you should not let anything get in the way. And i agree. He said to start out on a budget, get a controller and go for it.

I am asking if that would be the best route to go? Should i start out on a controller and PC? if so, what will be good? Perusing the Pioneer site i have come across the different software you can use, Serato, Traktor etc.. and personally haven't a real idea on the major differences despite researching. 

I really do see this happening for me, i have the commitment and passion. 

If someone educated could offer a bit of helpful advice on what would be my best course of action i would greatly appreciate it. I have the time in the evenings to get to it, and play around to my hearts content. 

Ultimate beginners kit, to learn and get my footing. What would be suggested?

Thanks in anticipation of feedback :)

Nikolai Hinze

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

4 commentaires

Hi Nikolai,

You are very welcome to the forums and we're happy to help you embark on your DJ career.

First of all, you really do want to consider your budget when starting. Apart from buying some of the cheaper entry level models of CDJs and mixers or second hand gear, controllers are probably the best way to go in terms of the functionality you get for the price you pay.

What software to pick? This is a very open question and boils down mostly to personal preference. I like Serato - I prefer the interface over Traktor / VDJ / Torq / MixVibes etc and it fits my needs perfectly. The best advice I can give you here is to trial each of the software packages and see which ones you like. If you local DJ store has different software setups, get down there and give 'em a test drive - see what you like.

One thing I think is important to point out when learning to DJ using a controller is to not rely on the visual display of the laptop - its all to easy to watch the waveforms on screen and then manipulate them to line up. Use your ears - train them to listen to the different tracks playing together and knowing which one needs to be sped up or which needs to be slowed down. It'll take a little time to get it nailed down but you'll sound find it easy.

There are a quite a few free resources online teaching how to DJ such as DJtutor (username ellaskins) on YouTube or visit DJsounds.com

Good luck and any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Gavin 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Thanks for the reply Gavin

I have been doing my fair share of research, it does seem that the controller route does offer a good value for money. I would love to go the route and the proper gear but unfortunately no matter how much of my stuff i sell, i wont be able to get what i wish, So i will get my controller in a few months.

I do have a trouble getting onto you tube as my only internet connectivity is at work , and i am sure the boss is not to keen on me using all the bandwidth, despite this i have been googling like crazy and i have learned quite a bit, there are some really great resources out there. 

I already have a grouping of music, that i in my mind think would mix together very well, i cannot wait to see if my ear is correct. 

I have found a school down here in South Africa were i live, 'Soul Candi Institute of Music" they are very reputable and they offer a good course in Digital Dj'ing. The program they cover is Traktor, so i am looking at getting  DDj-T1, and then playing around and learning till i can get a bit more in depth look at it all on my course. I have also seen the DDJ-sx, which is a serato controller, i will try to get my hands on a copy of each and see what i like more and get my hands on a controller. I need to make the right  decision because i am selling some goods to afford them!! decisions, decisions...

It was also my belief that it would be more beneficial to learn with out the graphic representation of  the music, learn by ear,  but as you have suggested, i simply just don't have to look at it... (Do not know what my mind did not click on that!)

As i start getting more accomplished in my skills,maybe i will make a bit of cash from this and slowly migrate to a different set up, but only time will tell.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation of my decisions, it sometimes is a great help to get an educated opinion to be sure on your intent. I am sure you will be hearing more from me as the weeks progress, i want nothing but pioneer, i love what i have seen on the sites.

Many Thanks

Nikolai Hinze 0 votes

WEGO to start and then as you expand you can upgrade all the way to CDJ-2000/DJM-2000 combo!!!

Jay 0 votes

@Nikolai > Thats great news - it seems like you are on top of things and know exactly what you want. Good luck with your decisions and if I can be of any more assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Gavin 0 votes