Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

Roll button flashing - what does it do?

When in overdub mode, i see you can tap a pattern into the roll button so it makes the button flash..

I cant seem to find any info on the intended function tho..

It seems like it lets you trigger the begin on the 4 beat loop in a stuttered pattern.. Is this right? Is it in the manual?

Thnx

Kevin Savage

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

11 commentaires

The "roll" function part of the x-pad is exactly that. it will grab/sample whatever is coming through quantize it to roll on the x-pad at whatever intervals you setup in the settings or the default times of the x-pad. and depending on what x-pad button you hit. the stutter will sample and roll it over n over... you can make it even longer in remixbox. best i could sum it up. 

djkiloton 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Thanks - when in overdub mode - if i tap in a 3 tap pattern on the roll button, does that just mean that the roll will play the sampled material from the start 3 times within my 4 beat loop? If so, that would make sense..

Thanks again

Kevin Savage 0 votes

If you're in sampler mode, it will simply roll the samples.  In non-sampler mode, the roll will roll the audio passing through the RMX.

Pulse 0 votes

When overdub is turned off, pressing one of the four sample buttons will select that sample and play it. Touching the x-pad will roll the selected sample until you take your finger off the x-pad and moving left/right will change the roll speed. If you press press the roll button it'll basically deselect the samples, then when you then touch the x-pad it'll roll the audio input just like using the roll on a Pioneer mixer.

When overdub is turned on it behaves slightly differently. Pressing one of the four sample buttons will play the sample and it'll be recorded in a 4 beat loop, so you can tap in a beat and have it loop over and over. Touching the x-pad will roll the entire loop (e.g. all four samples combined) and your movement over the x-pad will also be recorded and looped so you could, for example, create a fill at the end of the loop.

Whilst in overdub mode the roll button itself doesn't really do anything as the roll is always "active", though you can mute the roll by holding HOLD/MUTE and touching the x-pad. This is useful because it allows you to record a fill but then turn it on and off (e.g. play the loop for 7 bars and then turn the fill on for the 8th)

To my knowledge you can't roll an individual sample whilst in overdub mode, only the combined output of all four samples. What would be good is if you could select which sample(s) the roll affects (maybe by holding the ROLL button and hitting a sample button or something). Also you can't roll the live audio input (track from a CDJ or whatever) whilst in overdub mode, which would be handy How about it you brilliant Pioneer folk? :)

Matt Wilson 0 votes

Thanks all..

After playing with it more, it seems like when in overdub mode, u can tap the roll button to basicalky cause the roll sample to start from beginning multiple times within a loop manually (each time it blinks indicating its playing the sampled roll sound from the beginning).

Kevin Savage 0 votes

You're absolutely right Kevin :) Apologies for my last post which wasn't quite right... As you say, tapping the roll button in overdub mode will kick off a 4 beat loop from the live input and you can restart the sample / stutter it by pressing it multiple times. Can't believe I missed this!

Experimenting with this more I'm really starting to appreciate how powerful it is too... Combining it with the cut/add or roll from the isolator section, and the echos in the scene fx theres a lot of fun to be had! Also handy that you can mute / delete the loop on the roll button, and use it in combination with the x-pad to chop up the pattern even further.

Matt Wilson 0 votes

No worries.. Ur explanation was a very good one of how the roll button works and somehow helped me pin down what i was missing about the flashing roll button during overdub.

Its pretty cool what u can do during overdub mode after learning all he functions.. My only gripe is total length of the loop.. Am i missing something or is it really limited to 2 bars?

Kevin Savage 0 votes

yep that's my major gripe about it. the sampler time! BLAGH

djkiloton 0 votes

16secs max per bank, no matter how you dice it, lol.

djkiloton 0 votes

Unless im blanking, i recall only getting loop to 8 beats.. How can u reach 16 seconds on the loop length? I could settle for that :)

4/1 would be fine for what i use it for.. But i cant get it past 2/1..

Kevin Savage 0 votes

Small trick is indeed to use the OVERDUB+ROLL and then use the BPM engine to sync into the next song.

This way you could even continue with one channel.

Was part of a small video I made for tips on the RMX-1000 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNAfRhrKD7c)

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes