Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

1 abonné S’abonner

Crazy Volume Differences in RMX-1000 When Used as a "Thru" Device

Apologies if I'm repeating, but I've read my manual and watched a bunch of vids from Pioneer on YouTube.  No luck.

So I bought an RMX-1000 about a month ago.  I've set it up and have been playing with it in my "conventional" rig (Rane 62 and 2 Denon SC3900s).  It's a pretty sweet unit and works perfectly using my send/return loop on my Rane.  Then I decided that this rig would be a great addition to my Pioneer DDJ-SX controller with Serato as well, so I ran the RCA main out from my DDJ-SX into the RMX-1000, then went from the 1000 to my speakers and switched it to the "Audio Thru" setting (however it's worded).  I set my input level to 12-o'clock and my output level just a tad past 12-o'clock like Andy Foster (Pioneer Canada) showed in his overview vid on YouTube.

Holy shnike.  What a nightmare.

Most of the features on the 1000 work just fine in "thru" mode with the SX, but when I hit the Noise effect (a big one I probably overuse), the white noise output is OVERWHELMING.  Literally, when using the 2 small knobs (not the big main one) to control the Noise effect, I can turn the left one down all the way and it's STILL overwhelming.  When using it as a send/return unit with my Rane 62, turning that knob all the way left makes the noise almost inaudible.

Another issue I'm having is with samples on my X-Pad.  If I have my volume levels for the RMX-1000 set at the 12-o'clock settings like I mentioned at first and I hit the drum sample, it comes out so loud that it's a miracle it doesn't blow my speakers  If I turn the output level down all the way to 0 there's no sound, but if I turn it up just a tad, it's OVERWHELMINGLY loud and only gets worse as the output volume goes up.  The other samples (including my own) are all the same.

The problem is, when I turn my output volume knob down, the volume of the music passing through goes down as well.  So I can either have low-levels of samples and noise (build-up effect) with virtually NO music volume, or I can have normal music volume and DEVASTATINGLY loud white noise/sample volume. Or I can just not use the troublesome effect....which negates the whole point of having the RMX-1000!

I've read my whole manual, checked YouTube and skimmed these forums for help, but no luck.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jake Giossi

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

3 commentaires

I'll also mention that I've played with all different types of cable combinations (RCA, ¼", XLR with ¼" converters, etc.), and I've tried playing with the master AND booth outputs.  The result is always the same.  I certainly hope this is merely a bone-headed minor mistake I'm making.

Jake Giossi 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Methinks you likely haven't got it connected properly or haven't set the -10/+4 switch properly along with the levels on the unit itself.

Pulse 0 votes

My setup is as follows:  DDJ-SX left/right main outs (or booth outs) to the  RMX-1000 L/R input.  L/R output from the RMX-1000 to the corresponding L/R speakers.  -10/+4 switch is set to +4 (Master) because -10 is Send/Return and no sound comes from the unit when set like that.  Top left of the unit:  input/output volume knobs are set to 12 o'clock (input) and just a tad past 12 for output.  Adjusting this seems to make no difference.  X-Pad level is set to 12 o'clock.  Adjusting this knob will bring the volume of the X-pad samples down, but it kills the volume of the FX if I want to use the roll/pitch FX.  Nothing I do brings the volume levels on the Noise build-up effect down.  I can turn the (master) output volume knob down to bring the volume of the noise down, but the music levels drop in the process.

The level meter on the unit shows nothing...it's almost as if it's not getting any signal.  I don't know if that's because I've got the unit set to through mode or what.  I will say that when I have my RMX-1000 hooked up to my Rane 62 on Send/Return mode, the level meter on the 1000 is pegged in the red, even though the sound levels are perfect.

So what am I doing wrong then?

Jake Giossi 0 votes