Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

6 abonnés S’abonner

A way to convert M4A ALAC to AIFF without losing artist in filename

Anyone know a converter that will keep the artist in title and in artist field after converting to AIFF... The PromoOnly download service does MP3 and ALAC M4A, I would rather grab the ALAC at lossless quality and convert to AIFF but I lose the filename structure I like, for example

when i download a track form Promo only the filename is

ENVY - DAVID PUENTEZ.M4A

now I drop it into a converter like iTunes and it takes away DAVID PUENTEZ because it converts via the tag info which is title and artist only so the resuly of the actual filname is then ENVY.M4A which sucks when i leave it in a compilation folder, I like to see the artist too as I browse through finder folders. Of course in RB or serato you can see Envy under TITLE and DAVID PUENTEZ under ARTIST but i want to see all this info in my finder view too.

thanks for any info/suggestions you may have, or maybe RB and the decks can support ALAC m4a :)

BriChi

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

14 commentaires

I used EasyCD-DA to convert the file, which kept the filename intact, but converted no tags.  I then used Tag&Rename and built the tags from the filename.

Pulse 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

thanks Pulse but I would need the mac equivalent, i was trying to get Promo only to just upload their files as AIFF, they may do it in the future, we all know what that means, lol 

BriChi 0 votes

Sounds like someone needs a virtualizer!  ;)  

I simply haven't found any software for the Mac that can do what these two programs can do so well and so easily on the PC.  It's insane considering Mac's pedigree in audio/video/graphics.

Pulse 0 votes

yeah, its crazy how difficult it is just to get the final outcome of a filename and tags without having to convert, retag, rename everything

BriChi 0 votes

Have you tried using A Better Finder Rename?

It's an app available in the Mac App Store.  It can process batch file & folder renames based on your direction.  I would think that you could create a droplet that takes the original file name and creates folders for the artist and sub folder for title, and then you could convert your file and then use the folders to rename the new file how you want it.

I use ABFR to rename all of my Beatport tracks after I download them.  Setting up the initial rename algorithm takes a bit of time and head scratching, but once you've done it the process is as quick as clicking a mouse from then on.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

yes, I do own that, I use that to capitalize all my tracks, I will mess with it and see if it can turn tag info into the filename 

BriChi 0 votes

thanks for all the help guys, i actually just had time to really sit down with MediaRage which is a great renamer for tags and filenames and figured out how to do "rename expressions" and it works great, thanks again

BriChi 0 votes

Pulse (or whoever knows the answer), if I continue to use AIFF, will the decks have an easier time handling files because it no longer has to decode an mp3? I'm thinking if theres no decoding going on, the decks should be snappier, less errors, fast load times, etc..... right?

BriChi 0 votes

I can't answer this question with 100% certainty because I'm not a Pioneer engineer.....   but I would think that, generally speaking, it is better to not have any extra steps.  Decoding an audio file vs. playing an uncompressed audio file, there should theoretically be fewer steps taking place with the uncompressed audio.  Therefore, I would always assume that playing the uncompressed audio would present less of a challenge to the machine.

Now speaking from my personal opinion.....  I believe that while the CDJ players are capable of playing MP3 files, using WAV or AIFF is preferred.  I see MP3 as the equivalent of putting 87 octane fuel in my BMW.  Yes, it will drive.... but the car performs much better when I use 93 octane.    I think that's how we should be treating MP3 files.

Actually, if I were to put 87 octane fuel in my car, it would cause engine damage and also void my warranty.  While taking the comparison to the extreme, that's how I treat my CDJ-2000s.  AIFF only....  no MP3, ever.   haha.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

I don't think the decks actually "decode" and mp3. Typically you see apps decode mp3s only when you are attempting to edit them. The decks would merely play the file - not a process-intensive task. Any lag seems to be when the player is dealing with metadata. But I'd imagine the players wouldn't seem faster with AIFF over mp3 due to the huge file size difference.(and this is just my logic, not a engineer-approved concept).

RyanTV 0 votes

Virtually any file-format requires a decoder to work; think of it as a "translator."  This is also a good time to point out the reason cheap MP3 players will run without issue whereas your CDJ has a problem with the same file -- the cheap MP3 player may not be performing any CRC checks, it doesn't have to buffer forward and backward, pull track information from a database... Use good quality files and you'll have fewer problems.

Pulse 0 votes

I have a tonne of lossless WAV's I want to convert  in my library to AIFF as generally that's what I grab off Beatport.  There is an awful a lot of metadata in my Rekordbox library that I would like to extract for the WAV's, convert the WAV's with dbPowerAmp and then apply that extracted metadata somehow to the files.  I know I'm probably dreaming but considering the effort I've been doing to keep my RB tidy and complete, I really don't want to start that from scratch up until AIFF became available, if anyone has any hints and tips it would be much appreciated, I'm intending on building a whole new OS X VM and creating a brand new database and doing this properly, hopefully achieving some stability with the current issues and pretty much only populate my database with AIFF files.

Thanks in advance, help is always appreciated.

el-ricardo 0 votes

For those doing such a thing on Win platforms, the latest version of dBpowerAMP now handles wav broadcast tags and AIFF tags in RIFF chunks.  Have not personally tried ALAC tags, but that seems to be covered in the release notes.

pope 0 votes