Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

New to RekordBox, worth using with CDR?

I have some DJ friends who use USB sticks and recommend RekordBox to download for free..

I am not fully into USB sticks as yet, due to the varying CDJ's i use and still stick to CDR's for the time being.

When using CDJ1000mk3 and CDJ-2000 and CDJ2000-Nexus (which is usual nowadays in the clubs I've played) would downloading RekordBox help with editing, beatmapping, CDR's? - Can CDR's be burnt within Rekordbox? - or is it just for USB sticks?

Sorry I am really new to Rekordbox and only have a really old CDJ-100 deck (white old one) so don't have a newer CDJ deck that's Rekordbox compatible.

Would using Rekordbox benefit me when using CDJ 2000 and CDJ1000 decks out live? What exactly can i do in preperation with my tracks that would be read by these decks? Can I add visual markers for mix-out points on the visual display? Can I edit tracks like i do in an audio editor to extend bars on intros etc?

Mike Samson

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

13 commentaires

No. Rekordbox data can not be burned to a CD.

Rekordbox would benefit you only when you play on CDJ-2000 or CDJ-2000nexus players. It allows you to analyze your tracks before your gig, to prepare the waveforms that display on the player screens, to set cue points, add tags (artist, key, BPM, cover-art, etc..). You then export your tracks to USB drives, or SD cards with the additional information attached.

You would need to use your existing CDs if you played on CDJ-1000MK3 or below, as these don't support Pioneer's Pro-Link, nor USB/SD media.

Justin Ryan 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

can also use with CDJ900's, CDJ850's and the CDJ350's ......

DJBostonGreen 0 votes

Ahh yes, my mistake. Those weren't mentioned in the post, so I didn't think of them.

Justin Ryan 0 votes

Ok thanks so its pointless using anything in Rekordbox when using CDs even with CDJ2000 and Nexus players??

Mike Samson 0 votes

Also I use both Mac and PC to copy across files and music when using a USB Drive.. Is there a certain format that the CDJ's read thats better for me to use for CDJ, PC and Mac?

I also prefer WAV files instead of MP3, does anyone know a rule of thumb for how many WAV's you can store on 4GB, 8GB. 16Gb etc??

Mike Samson 0 votes

Correct, as JR mentioned, rekordbox does not export to CDs whatsoever so no point using rekordbox if you're only going to use CDs, even with the latest CDJ2k NXS player.

Also, to answer one of your initial questions, you cannot edit tracks in rekordbox, only analyse tracks, adjust beat grids, add cue points and make playlists etc.

hatrik 0 votes

WAV files are roughly 10MB per minute of audio, so if your tracks are on average 5 minutes long you could expect to fit approximately 320 tracks onto a 16GB drive (16000MB / 10MB per minute / 5min per track), minus a few tracks to make room for the analysis data from rekordbox and also because you never get full usage of the stated capacity of a drive. So 80 WAV tracks on 4GB, 160 tracks on 8GB, 320 on 16GB etc... roughly.

hatrik 0 votes

Would you be using rekordbox on both your PC and Mac and exporting to the same USB drive from both? I would avoid that if possible, maybe one of the mods can confirm whether that's OK to do or not.

IMO MP3 file types are the way to go, if you stick to 320kbps you shouldn't have any issues with sound quality... unless you're an Audiophile :)

hatrik 0 votes

No sorry, I wouldnt use the software on both, maybe edit some WAVS or MP3's on a PC and transfer across to Mac Rekordbox?

So I suppose it shouldn't in theory matter? just pluggin in to the Mac I suppose and Rekordbox Mac ?

I'm really tempted by USB but my problem is the older CDJ's which can be at some venues I play, CDJ1000mk3 which I could be in trouble.

Its a shame theres nothing for Pioneer compatibility on CD? - I'd love to see markers on my waveforms etc

Mike Samson 0 votes

@Mike > Its just not possible to do that kind of thing with CDs particularly when there is so much more convenient media options available now.

Have all your questions been addressed?

Gavin 0 votes

I think so Gavin, and I would move to USB and all its benefits like a shot, the only reservation from me, and the other DJ's i work with (who cant get use to USB) is their gloating that we come across a non USB CDJ in a club, so we are all sticking to CDR's unfortunately...  ;(

Mike Samson 0 votes

Also lastly, would there be any preference on particular USB sticks, should i decide to go down that route?

I did think of a good 64Gb USB but due to the small volume of tracks for a 1-2hr set maybe a simple 8Gb or 16Gb with a selection of tracks, so not so bad if i lose it and obvioulsy cheaper now for a 8GB USB

Mike Samson 0 votes

I use two Sandisk 32GB sticks, one is a copy/backup, plenty of space even for a gig where you don't know what sort of crowd you'll be playing to. I've never maxed a 32GB stick out with a rekordbox export for any gig and I would definitely try to buy a reputable brand, generally about AU$1.00 per GB space, pretty affordable. Hope that helps...

hatrik 0 votes