Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

Rekordbox virgin

Recently I bought a pair of CDJ 2000NXS. Before I opened the boxes I promised myself I was going to reorganize and clean house with my whole collection. I have meticulously gone through and added artwork to every file I could and made each release uniform in text. I still have a few more weeks to go and I will be done. 

My question is can any of you guys with Rekordbox experience recommend any tips for someone switching over ? I've got some youtube videos saved and the link to the FAQ page. I ask in case there is something not mentioned there

I'm on Mac 10.6.8

DJC800RV

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

19 commentaires

What files do you use, Wave or Mp3s or other formats?

And how big is your collection?

I can tell you how I do, I have a big collection of mostly mp3s 320 kbit/s (37K tracks in RB).

I have gone through them with other programs before I add them in RB, and use mp3tag to get the correct tags like name, genre ,album, year & photos etc. but there is a lot of other programs that does the same.

Then I sort them out and place them in separate maps for genres or albums, I use 2 maps.

One for genres and one for albums, then all submaps for album is like -A-Z and genres submaps like House, R&B, Electro, Dubstep etc.

To get the volume adjustment and keys of all the songs I use MixedInKey and PlatinumNotes (to config.MIK & PN would be a thread of its own).

Not fun to do this work but fun when its added to RekordBox ;-)

Fredrik F 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

My collection from early on 2004-2007 is a lot of WAV but then gradually all became 320 mp3's. A few AIF I noticed. My collection was around 300GB but since I have been "cleaning house" I am down to around 185GB. To clean things up  regarding text and add artwork I have just been using iTunes.

any advantages over MIK than traffic light in rekordbox? Yeah man this has been really grueling but will be so worth it in the end

DJC800RV 0 votes

Nice to hear that someone have "cleaned house" thats my next thing to do aswell, get rid of all duplicates.

Have you used any program to see all your dublicates?

I have never used iTunes at all..

MIK is a great tool I think, first it gives me keys and then it messure the volume output on the file and tell you to use PN if its to loud or quiet, but I normaly use PN first. I have MIK to set key in comment fields and it gives me the opportunity to look at Comment or Key field in RB.

There have been discussions about which program that analyzes the files right, with this, I now have two choices to make if I want to mix harmonically.

Fredrik F 0 votes

Nah no program for duplicates. The only duplicates I came across were maybe one track I had in the original release and then maybe lets say that track got featured in a label compilation later that year. It had a different release code and artwork so I kept it with the pack. I'm keeping things like that for playlist purposes in the future. Other than situations like that, no duplicates.

TBH I have never used iTunes either. I always listened to tracks through either my studio setup or the finder window in Mac. iTunes was easy to correct the text to what I wanted and add the artwork. Other than doing this my iTunes is always empty lol. Also I am color coding some folders and files that represent different styles of what I play. 

I've never mixed harmonically before but I am open to experiment with it in traffic light.

So do you recommend scanning only a few tracks with Rekordbox at a time or is it okay to select a whole folder of releases and let it go overnight? I'm probably not going to be setting cue points but I would like to make sure my tracks are lined up on the beat grid

DJC800RV 0 votes

It seems that you have been hardworking with your collection without duplicates :-)     I get at least a couple a month when I buying new albums..

I scan only One map at a time, and then dubble check so there is nothing wrong (tags) with any file (it can be from 1 file when adding files in a map up to 3000 in one map).

The colour field am I using for rating favorites and energy in all genres, almost gets hand in hand with the rating field.

Fredrik F 0 votes

I forgot to mention that before adding files check that you have track analysis to "Normal" mode, it seems to be the best way for house and dance music to get analysed.

For other music genres like old disco, 60,70s & r&b music set it to "Dynamic" mode.

Fredrik F 0 votes

Awesome! Thanks for the little tips. Things like that are what I'm looking for. Yeah I am mainly a house guy Deep, Tech-House and a little bit of Techno. In my cleaning I have finally gotten all my downtempo and chill-out stuff separated so It will be fun to actually get to play some of that stuff. Can't believe I've racked up over 12GB of that stuff ! I will make sure to  scan those on their own in Dynamic Mode

DJC800RV 0 votes

Fredrik, I want to thank you for telling me about Platinum Notes. I had not heard of it before. It did add on a little bit more time to my whole Rekordbox conversion but this piece of software is essential, whole nother thread like you said lol.

I noticed tonight when I started importing it looks like the tracks # order goes completely out of whack. Is this a Rekordbox issue or can I fix this? 

Attaching a screen shot

DJC800RV 0 votes

I had the column bar too close. I'm an idiot 

DJC800RV 0 votes

Nice,

Im glad I could help you out with some tips..

Did you fix the thing with the columns and names ?

Fredrik F 0 votes

I did thanks man. I had the columns too close to each other and it overlapped the other column and tricked me in what I was actually seeing. It was late lol. The other night during analyzing RB crashed and it lost 3/4 of my work, so I had to start again. That really sucked

Getting my head around it though and planning on actually playing tomorrow for the first time with the new cdjs, and fully analyzed collection.

DJC800RV 0 votes

I don't have a gig yet, I was just going to give them their first run. I am actually getting to it tonight. I only have 1 folder left of tracks to analyze. I couldn't wait !

I do have a gig this saturday night though. I hope to get to know these things well enough by then.

2 things I noticed that are bugging me is that 

1: Instant waveform is not happening with fully analyzed tracks

2: I cant use the search function. Let's say I am looking for a Nicole Moudaber track and I begin to type Nicole Moud.... it does not recognize that.

Mac 10.6.8

Rekordbox 2.0.3

CDJ2000NXS Firmware 1.06

DJC800RV 0 votes

HD being used is Lacie 500GB Neil Poulton (has the orange bumper around it)

Formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a single partition with master boot record selected

DJC800RV 0 votes

And no scrolling waveform either :(

Artwork is showing up though

DJC800RV 0 votes

I have personally tested my results with Mixed In Key vs. Rekordbox key detection, and honestly found that Rekordbox does a better job.  So I have ditched MiK completely.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

So i figured out my problem. Thank you BriChi for your help through email. I really hope if someone else is considered to have the Pioneer logo by their name on here Brian should be next. Super proper guy !

Okay so my problem was, when I installed Rekordbox I chose in the preferences this new external HD I got for "PIONEER" folder (analysis files) when I should have left it to be default location. For mac would be Users/name/library/pioneer/rekordbox 

I changed the location in preferences manually and it did a brief scan (not of tracks though) and then all was good. Now I can use this new external to export playlists too and get the instant and scrolling waveforms

DJC800RV 0 votes

Hi Guys,

Silly questuion i know maybe but how do i update my USB with all the new tracks & playlists thats ive added into rekordbox since my last import?

At the moment i copy over playlists each time i update my usb but its very time consuming dragging over each of my 20 playlists to my device folder.

Is there a button hidden somewhere where it auto copys all my new tracks onto the USB and updates my playlist info etc etc?

Many thanks in advance

Jon Paul Montgomery 0 votes

Not sure about a "autocopy" but if you just re-import the library Rekordbox will ask you if you want to "replace" your old playlist with the new one with the same name. Do that. It will overwrite the old playlist and you will get the updated one with the new tracks that were added 

DJC800RV 0 votes