Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

6 abonnés S’abonner

Exporting playlist info to a spreadsheet

I would love to be able to take my playlists and copy them into another program so I can print them out.

So far, I have been able to "Export Playlists Information", but this does not retain the proper playlist and order.

If I select the cells in a playlist, I can not copy nor paste it.

Right now, I am only able to copy each individual cell, but really, it's easier to just have Rekordbox open, and a word processing program, and just type everything I see by hand.  But as you can imagine, this takes forever.

Anyone had any luck exporting a proper XML that has the playlist, in order, and then been able to turn that into CSV so they can bring it into a spreadsheet or table data?

Please, let me know how you do it!  I'm on a Mac.

Aaron

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

9 commentaires

The info you seek is in the XML export.  You will have to parse the XML, it is human-readable, but since it is a structured document it is really intended to be processed by a computer.  I program in Perl, but there are numerous XML parsing libraries for a variety of languages that, like Perl, are platform independent (python, java, c++, basic, etc.)

The odd thing is when you do an XML export, you get everything...all library entries along with every playlist it knows about.

Pioneer Support has been kind enough to give us the XML spec, starting here: http://rekordbox.com/support/developer.php?lang=en  There is a PDF linked on that page which (along with an exported example) give you a good idea what's where in that sea of data.

pope 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

If I knew how to write software, I would use the info that Pioneer has provided and write some software that would do what I need.  And I'd probably sell it and make a ton of money.  It is nice that Pioneer provides info for software developers though.  But unfortunately, the only languages I know are English and some Spanish, and I don't think Rossetta Stone makes a guide for python, java, c++, or basic...

I did find a free converter from XML to CSV though, and that did create a file I could bring into Excell.  Unfortunately, it's the entire library, not separated into playlists.  And would take me many many hours to copy and paste every cell into new pages that match my playlists.

I tend to work in iTunes and bring those playlists into Rekordbox.  So an M3U is almost as useless as an XML as it just creates playlists (that I already have) in iTunes.

But maybe you are onto something.  Since there's no support to export playlist data into anything useful from Rekordbox, maybe there is for iTunes, and I should be working there.  Does mean I need to be more careful about using iTunes, at times I've been lazy and made edits to playlists in Rekordbox, but need to keep Rekordbox as secondary, only using it to process music to export to an SD card.

So, anyone know how to export playlists from iTunes into text that I can put in a spread sheet or word processor?  Would love to have a notebook that has a different page for each playlist, so I can quickly flip through it (rather than scrolling on a tiny screen on the CDJ).

Aaron 0 votes

Hey aaron , I just think about something!

You could try this:

1) Open your playlist in rekordbox

2) open the program TAGSCANNER (free download)

3) select all the tracks in the rekordbox playlist

4) drag them to Tagscanner

5) In tagscanner go to the Tab List Maker

6) Select csv - exel

7) press export

8) DONE

Also , you may want to edit the export file so you can customize the way tagscanner will export the list. 

Hope this helps!

Greetings

TheOne 0 votes

If only I had a PC and not a Mac, I could actually run Tagscanner!

Aaron 0 votes

Someone on a different forum was able to figure it out for me.  Thought I'd repost in case other people have the same issue.

The problem I had, was that I was going to File --> Export Playlists Information, which was creating a useless XML file.

What I needed to do, was to open the playlist pane, highlight the playlist I want to export the info from, right click on it and select "Save Playlist Info".  And I needed to make sure the file type is Text, and not M3U.

This exported a TSV (Tab Separated Value) text file, than I am then able to open in Excell (or in my case, I bring it into a table a formatted InDesign so I can print it on half-page letter paper, print, and 3-hole punch it into a small binder I can take with me).

Hope this info helps other people like it did me!

Aaron 0 votes

Thanks for your help on this Aaron and Pope -

while exporting the playlist as a .txt file is a far simpler workaround, it does not export the full data. This any key information is removed, or comments etc. 

Does anyone have any ideas how to work around this ?

Happy Xmas 

hugo currie 0 votes