Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

DDJ-T1 mixer

Hello people!

First of all, DDJ-T1 is a great controller... had no problems with it (installing, updating, getting up & running) and I don't regret buying it, but (and there is allways a "but" :) )...

it is not very clear to me who's processing the sound which "gets out" through ddj-t1's ouput: t1's internal soundcard(mixer) or traktor software(mixer)?

I'm asking this, and i request some explanations, because, and here's an example: when I'm cutting the low freq of the playing track (low knob to left) it sounds like i've cut some of the mid freq too... it very different from a real mixer. (I know that "the mixer type" is an option and can be selected in Traktor's config) Is there a setting or something which can make the mixer cut the freqs more smooth? (cutting the low freq will cut the beats but not the mid freq)

I'm using traktor 2.1.1 pioneer edition on Win7 64bit (laptop specs: core i3 2,26GHz, 3GB ram, 320GB hdd...) default latency settings.

For those which tested both traktor pioneer edition and pro 2 with ddj-t1, can you tell me if upgrading to traktor pro 2 will solve this "problem" and making the mixer act more natural? (by changing the "mixer type" in config)

What I can say is that i'm relatively new to traktor but not new to digital dj-ing (used virtual dj) or dj-ing in general.

PS: Sorry for my english not being enough technical or correct and I hope someone will give me some hints.

Thanks.

Paul R

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

16 commentaires

@ Paul R > The DDJ-T1 is a software controller. Therefore it controls Traktor and uses the Traktor Mixer built in to the software. I agree, and I have noticed the mixer in Traktor sounds different than a hardware mixer such as a DJM-800.

I have never known Traktor to have a setting to change the actual frequency parameters for the mixer. There is the possibility to change the "Mixer Type" and you should give each of those types a try to see what sounds most accurate. I'm referring to version 1 as I haven't tested version 2 for more than 3 minutes. But I would assume Traktor would not have changed this much and there would still not be an option to actually alter the parameters directly.

I don't believe something like that would be changed in a small update to the software. That would most likely be a major update to the software.

Unfortunately I think you're best option is to try the different "Mixer Type"'s and pick the one you think sounds most accurate. But maybe someone else has some info that could help as I haven't tried V2 much at all.

You're tech talk is fine mate, don't be so hard on yourself. lol

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

The DJM-T1 does not use Traktor's mixer, which is why, when you turn the EQ knobs on the mixer, you don't see the EQ knobs turning in the software -- otherwise it would be a double-EQing and that's just overkill!

The T1 ships with Duo, which does not offer the ability to change your EQ types anyhow.

Pulse 0 votes

@ Foster: Thanks for answering me... can you tell me if there is any noticeable differences between "mixer types" at version 1 (as you mentioned, you own that version, and for sure there aren't huge differences between traktor vers. 1 and 2 referring to sound engine) and probably you've tried them, because I haven't a full version of traktor available and I don't want to update just to test the mixer types and realise that there aren't big differences, as  the Traktor Pioneer Edition is offering me everything I need at the moment.

PS: anyone is welcome to share his opinions/advices about this matter

@ Pulse: thank you.

Paul R 0 votes

lol, you posted while I was writing my post... of course I will "follow" Pulse...

Than, the answer to my question is: "the traktor's mixer sucks?"

Paul R 0 votes

Wait a second...

@Pulse > Aren't we talking about the DDJ-T1 and not the DJM-T1 in this thread??

So was I right with my post, except for the "Mixer Type" not being in Duo mind you...

@Paul R > I'll get back to you as soon as I'm out of class. :)

Thanks,

Foster 

Foster 0 votes

@Paul R > I think Pulse made a mistake when he posted. He's completely right, but you were asking about the DDJ-T1, and he posted about the DJM-T1, so unfortunately it isn't related to your question. I've made the mistake of confusing these 2 since the titles are so similar. lol

I am sorry to mix you up with my post following Pulse's. My first reply is still related to your question, and the DDJ-T1 is a controller and uses the built in Traktor mixer.

I just opened my old Traktor Pro version 1 and tested the different "Mixer Type" settings. Unfortunately, the "Classic" setting is the most accurate to sounding like an actual hardware mixer in my opinion. Unfortunately, it still sounds off to me though. I only liked the Traktor mixer back when I first learned about DJ'ing (back when Traktor DJ Studio 3 was in beta!). Ever since then I've developed my ears and tastes to hardware mixers like the DJM series. I quickly realized I felt the Traktor mixer was off in it's ability to replicate an actual hardware mixer and I've never looked to a digital mixer since.

I have a lot more to say about the Traktor mixer... but I don't want to argue with anyone as it's kind of personal preference.

In my opinion though, I think your last post summed it up good enough with the last 3 words. ;)

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 votes

Yeah, I pulled a Foster.  ;)

I read "T1 mixer" and zoned from there.

See above.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse > Haha, is that the official name for it from now on?

No worries, you proved I'm directionally impaired, and illiterate in roughly 15 minutes this morning :P

Foster 0 votes

@ Paul > Quote:: "the traktor's mixer sucks?"  In what way may I ask?

Leonski 0 votes

well, you didn't read my posts... Traktor's internal mixer sucks in the way of cutting low freqs combined with mid freqs...

Paul R 0 votes

Yeah.....OK  I do not see it that way because 'we' dj's can hear it. But do you think that the people how are dancing on your gig that they can hear it?

Leonski 0 votes

@Leonsk > Only about 2% of people I know can tell the difference without having it explained and compared side by side together. So to answer your question... Yes they can hear it, but no they can't tell the difference; especially if they've had a few drinks. ;)

Foster 0 votes

Ok, I know that few people can "see" the difference, but first of all, my mixes need to be perfect when i'm talking about cutting freqs and stuff and I don't really care if people can tell the difference when the low freqs and mid freqs are improper cut...

Paul R 0 votes

@Paul R > The main thing is to "hear" the difference. ;) But I agree, I prefer to use hardware and have the Pioneer quality in my mixes even though there is only a handful of people who might be able to notice the difference. If I can hear the difference, then I would like to improve it in any way I can. :)

Foster 0 votes