Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

Need storage device but unsure of best options from reading forum

Ive currently got an 8GB SD card which is grreat but realistically not big enough.

Ive read folk having issues with 16/32Gb SD cards which has made me a little hesetant to go and buy..

USB Sticks - ive been avoiding the idea of using these as i feel with some gigs i goto theres nothing to stop a 'funny person' pulling it out.

Option 3 which i have been debating is a portable hard drive as it can be cabled and kept out of the way.

Would this option pose any issue with regard to lag for searching/playing tracks?

Would it also suffer the same issues as USB/SD devices of a specific capacity and then being uncertain if it will work?

Ive noticed for the cost of 2 32Gb usb sticks i can obtain a 500gb portable drive - hence this question.

Cheers :)

Simon Abberley

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

30 commentaires

Well, if you are gigging with these drives/cards - make sure you have duplicate drives with you at all times.

That being said - I've used all 3 and there are pros and cons that go along with each.

SD cards are nearly indestructible and they install into the deck very stealthly - The bad thing about them is that they are VERY slow to write to.

Flash drives are relatively inexpensive and are easy to carry around - They can get yanked out of your decks or they have been known to fail or corrupt from time to time.

Hard Drives are very quick to write too and come in much larger storage sizes - but they do have moving parts and toting them around a lot will cause them to fail at a quicker rate. It is really up to you.

Personally, i just use my MacBook Pro as my library source. I've never had an issue using it this way.

RyanTV 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

@ Simon > I agree with RyanTV.

SD cards hide nicely in the player, but I avoid them because the write speeds are slower and my 2000's are the only use for my SD cards.

USB flash can get yanked out, but I purchased these "Micro USB Flash Drives" and I find they work great! They are extremely small and almost unnoticeable in the players. They are waterproof, shockproof, dirt proof... you name it. I've put mine through the wash by accident and they still work great! I believe you can get them up to 32GB and 64GB sizes as well. The read and write speed on them are good, and I can use them for transferring things more often than SD cards. The only down side would be the price on these little guys.

Hard drives are great because they are getting very price effective! In Canada you can buy a 1TB external for $80 I believe. The moving parts can be an issue, but I've just kept really good care of mine and have only had 1 fail out of 4 external hard drives in the past 4-5 years. It's not a great success rate, but the company replaced my drive at no charge so it was okay.

I also use my computer and Rekordbox as it is even more handy for myself. But I completely understand if you don't need another computer, or you would prefer not to have a computer carried around and at your decks all the time.

I would say the Micro USB flash drives might be a good thing to look into. :)

Let us know when you decide.

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 votes

I don't bother with SD cards, they're prone to getting lost (especially in my house) and they're slow.  Flash drives are great because they're solid-state and portable, but for cost-per-GB, HD's are the way to go.  Even SSD's are dropping in price so they should be a consideration when shopping.

Pulse 0 votes

It is really bad that the companys doesnt write out the writing/reading speed.

Christoffer Földes 0 votes

I also got one more question to you guys!

I have been searching for some info about which usb flash drive will work best witch rekordbox but rekordbox dont have any specifikations on any site?I mean where you can se how fast rekordbox can write to the memory and witch reading speed that is the best...

I am really worried that something might crash, actually i dont know why. I think got one cd in 4 years that had a little skip.  Stupid me. But Now i have spent over 100 euro on different usb flash memorys just for trying them out. I really like the sise on my verbatim memorys but I think it will take 10 around hours to export my rekordbox collection on 13 gb.

My sandisk memory is actually a lot faster.

If i can deal with the slow writing speed could anything other be any issue?

/Chris

@Christoffer > I use Corsair Survivor sticks which work great > good r/w speeds and can take a battering too.

For what its worth, I hate Verbatim. I don't like their media at all.

Gavin 0 votes

The export speed of the software is entirely dependent on the source and destination mediums, their connection type, the data bus between them and the operating system, the software itself is the least of your concerns.

Pulse 0 votes

If you wannt stick's, then use corsair survivor or flash voyager. They are fast enough at the export speed, also fast at reading from dcj's.

But if you wannt true speed, then i recommend external ssd drives (i always do, and i use 2 of them too). They rock. Fastest export speed ever (make sure u have usb3 on your pc-laptop, however they are faster then everything at usb2 ports too).

• no mooving parts

• amazing speed

• amazing access time (that makes them very fast at the cdj's)

• bigger than a stick..

Anastasio 0 votes

So if i can handle that the export time from rekordbox is very slow to my verbatim memorys. Then there wouldnt be any problems?

Because i love the size of them and if you have them in the players you cant see them if you doesnt stand where the dj are...

@Christoffer > Yupp that's your call. :)

I would hope it wouldn't be too long to export 16GB of something. No more than 15 at most in my opinion. 

Foster 0 votes

How can i buy the Pioneer Usb Stick from the Video of Cdj 850k?Big thx

markoerregger 0 votes

@mark > Sorry, they're not available for sale, but they're also only good for looks (I have one, it's slow).

Pulse 0 votes

My brother has one of those - I wasn't too fond of the connector, a bit flimsy.

Pulse 0 votes

Thx Pulse then I have to take a look at another one. It is hard because I really want a small memory.

Small size because you don't want a big stick in the top of the player or so it's easy to transport?

Pulse 0 votes

Small size beacuase i dont want anybody to see it and yes i know that you can have a cable from the memory to the player but it would be better if the memory was in a small size.

Unfortunately you'll hit that wall of size-vs-durability -- I find the Patriot RAGE to be quite sturdy and not too big.

Pulse 0 votes

@Christoffer > I know @Gavin hates Verbatim. lol But I haven't had any troubles with using mine and they are micro small and hide in the CDJ nicely. Also available in 32GB and 64GB sizes. But it might be better to trust Gavin and Pulse as they've had more experience with them.

Foster 0 votes

Foster I tried the verbatim micro memorys but it took around 1-3 seconds to load a track on the players.

With my Sandisk memory it was a lot faster.

I really want one of thoose corsair mini. But Pulse scared me a lot:)

@Christoffer > I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't very good. Maybe I good super lucky with mine! lol

Well, if you're able to buy something locally and take it back with no charge, then hopefully you can test a couple out before actually deciding. 

Foster 0 votes

:) Sadly we dont have the corsair and patriot memorys in stores here in sweden. Is only on the webb.

I am thinking about testing the speed on my sandisk memory. Is there anybody who know how to that easy?

My hate for Verbatim stems from their awful CD-Rs. I flung more of those at my sister than I could actually use in my 1000s.

Gavin 0 votes

I also find the verbatim cd-r:s bad.

@Gavin > Amen to that! lol I can't even get rid of my unused CD-R's for free!

Foster 0 votes

To everyone in need- I use only 16GB Lexar in both USB and SD and have NEVER had 1 problem with them. I usually find them at Office Depot for about $20 for SD and $30 for Micro USB. That gives you at least 64GB(4000 tracks) of portable music. I use only the micro USB for the same reasons mentioned above. This way I can 1. Color code each seperate genre- House(Red), Breaks(Blue), Dubstep(Green) and D&B(Yellow) so I know what I'm playing without really thinking. 2. Close coffin leaving the drives intact so I only have to pull them out to load new tracks. 3. Save $$$ for more tracks!!!

Anything bigger than 16GB doubles in price and doubles again. It's ridiculous that a 64GB USB costs $200-$300. Look at solid state drives. OMG! Those are retarded! $1100 for 560MB. Jeez!!!

JOHNBOY 0 votes