Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

In the market for CDJ 2000s..but something's putting me off.

I can't work out the waveform. I play drum & bass, so I like to double drop. I've been use to reading grooves to synch up drops. On Tr**ktor there is a feature to squish a tracks waveform down so that it displayed in relation to its realtime length. This helps you to judge and match exactly parts of tracks (breakdowns etc.)

It's not the end of the world, 'cos I use my ears to mix: But is there a way to stop the waveforms being stretched to all the same length?

It's obvious that if you have, for example a 5 minute track on cdj A, and an 8 minute track on the other, that if they then stretch out both waveforms to fit the window, then deck A's waveform will be sped through faster than B's and it's harder to judge (and match) the same length of each tracks parts..if you know what I mean?

I'm not explaining it very well.

Neil

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

18 commentaires

I know exactly what you mean.  I use the same technique at times. The answer is no. I haven't seen a way to make the relative lenghts of the waveforms on the display match the relative lenghts of the tracks themselves. However, knowing the relative time lenght between the tracks, 8 mins vs 5 mins for example, I have become reasonably good at being able to judge and match up transitions between the waveforms visually, aided by my ears of course to identifying the measures.   So, it can be done. 

I am not sure if any decks out there have have the ability to display the wave form in a time consistent manner.  I suspect they all stretch or compress the waveform to meet the display width.

EggsAnyStyle 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

@Neil > Unfortunately this isn't capable of the players, even for an update I believe. As it would need a standard amount of time to be used for the full length of the screen, and tracks can vary in length from less than 3 minutes to more than 12 minutes, which would be extremely difficult to pin point an accurate number where all tracks could fit. Not to mention sometime people load up pre-mixed sets and play them during set-up or tear-down before and after gigs.

Hopefully one of @EggsAnyStyle ideas can help you out a bit. :) 

Foster 0 votes

Actually you wouldn't need to use a standard amount of time on the display, you'd simply need to display the longest track as the full width of the display on one player, and display the length of the shorter track on the other player relative to that first track.  You could even enable a button or switch for the DJ to signify which track/player represents the 'master'.

Foo Bar 0 votes

See, Foobar, that's what I'm talking about. The amount of forums where people haven't understood and I had to like draw pictures!

The only thing that seems to be able to do it is Traktor...

Neil 0 votes

@Neil > I believe I understand what you mean as you explained everything well. The simple answer is: Sorry, this is not capable of the players.

@Foo Bar > If it was enabled to follow the longest track, your waveform lengths could change every time you load a track into another deck. (minus the master thought for a moment) This could be switching the lengths of your waveforms quite often if you use 4 decks to mix with. Kinda confusing as it could jump around from 4 minutes to 8 minutes with loading one track, and could become confusing to try to follow the instant changes.

Including the "Master" idea. What button would you suggest to set the player as "Master". I'm unsure of what could be utilized to set the deck, let alone needing to change it every time you load and play another deck.

However, this might not work well as some DJ's like to use samples and short loops in performances. If you had a 7 minute track playing or probably even a 5 minute track, a 5-30 second sample or loop would be too small for the waveform to even be useful.

It's a cool idea and brings forth many other thoughts and ideas to the table, but unfortunately it isn't possible on the players. :) 

Foster 0 votes

Foster, you keep saying "not possible", "not possible"... 

There are two types of people in the world I suppose, pessimists and optimists.  It's the optimists that push the world forwards...

Foo Bar 0 votes

@Foo Bar > I keep saying it's "not possible" because the CDJ's cannot support it... ;)

Needless to say again, in some instances this feature could render the waveform display to be useless as I described above.

As I said before... It's a cool idea and brings forth many other thoughts and ideas to the table.

Something like this may come in the future, but this idea would take much more than just a quick thought to actually analyze, prepare, create, test and even identifying if it's beneficial to the masses and target market of the products.

Foster 0 votes

"this idea would take much more than just a quick thought to actually analyze, prepare, create, test and even identifying if it's beneficial to the masses and target market of the products."

What do you think a product manager and product development team do?  Sit around all day?  The purpose of these forums from Pioneer's point of view is to raise product issues and also product ideas.

As far as the idea goes, it would not be too difficult to assign a button on the controller that when pressed has the effect of saying 'this is the master waveform, display all waveforms on all other players relative to this one.'  I'm not sure why you're so convinced this would be some herculean effort to achieve....?

Foo Bar 0 votes

@Foo Bar > I wasn't degrading anyone's position or work style. I was simply explaining it would be a long process for a feature such as this to be implemented on a future product and wrote "in general" if others see this thread and have hopes for it immediately. :)

The forums are to assist customers and those who are interested in Pioneer DJ products with problems or issues that may arise, help share and guide everyone with open knowledge and experiences using the products, and to share thoughts and ideas on how to improve on current and future products. Basically what you said but a bit more. ;)

But this is really getting off topic.

As I previously asked… What would be your suggestion on how to set a CDJ as a "Master" for the waveform length?

Something like have a menu appear in a specific setting and use the selection knob to locate the CDJ to use? It's helpful to provide how you would prefer to use a feature when you suggest one. :)

Once again, sorry but this is not possible because the hardware cannot support this feature. A firmware update would not be able to make this feature possible.

Needless to say yet again… This would render the waveform display completely useless in certain situations.

@Neil > I apologize for us highjacking your thread, but I hope since you said "It's not the end of the world, 'cos I use my ears to mix", that you can continue using your trustworthy ears and can use the relativity example @EggsAnyStyle provided. :)

Foster 0 votes

You have not sufficiently explained (at least to me) why the hardware *cannot* support this feature - because you personally can't think of what control would be used?  It could be configured in the menu as you yourself suggest, just as one option.

As for the representation of a waveform being "too small" as you suggest, if it's just a small loop or sample then perhaps there is no need to view the waveform in detail.  Remember, the OP wanted the waveforms to be relative - this can clearly be accomplished.

You seem to be clinging to the absolute position which you initially expressed, which was is "no, no, no... can't be done".  Try and think outside the box for a minute. 

Foo Bar 0 votes

@Foo Bar > My apologies I didn't explain in depth enough.

I was referring to the physical hardware pieces, purpose and capabilities of the product make this feature not possible to implement. I wasn't referring to "it can't be done because there is no button for it". lol :)

Yes, most features are configured in the menu, which is why I suggested it. :)

In my opinion, the purpose of having a sample  would be to have control over a single sound or loop. I believe it would be very necessary for DJ's to see the waveform and use the needle search to quickly navigate an acapella or sample and/or to be able to line it up for scratching, without having to put on your headphones to hear where you have it set.

Yes, which is why if everything was relative to an 8 minute track, a 5-30 second acapella or sample would have a useless waveform unfortunately.

I'm open to this feature and seeing new features and ideas for future models. I'm simply stating it's not capable with the current hardware and the way it was built. I'm sorry.

Yet again... do we really need to steer off topic?

Foster 0 votes

You keep saying that it's not possible as if that somehow is the definitive statement of the matter.  The image of a child putting their hands over their ears and shouting "I"m not listening!" comes to mind... :-\

The original poster asked whether it was possible for waveforms not to be stretched to the width of the display, and that they be displayed relative to each other.  That is clearly possible.

I work in the software industry and there's a saying: "ANYTHING can be done".  The details are just that: details to be worked out.

Foo Bar 0 votes

And to add to what I have written above: you have focused in on one particular example where there is one 8 minute track and one 30 seconds sample.  That would not be the normal use case, nor is it the one that the original poster made.

There are all sorts of possible solutions.  For example, an underlying scale that graphically displays standard units across tracks, or a scrolling display.

As Darth Vader says: I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Foo Bar 0 votes

@Foo Bar > If the OP was asking if this is possible, how is stating "it is not possible" not the definitive statement of the matter? :)

I believe I answered the OP question and that was the most important factor for assisting @Neil. :) And unfortunately it is not possible.

Please, I would appreciate a little more respect as I am only here trying to assist other users with questions and issues as best I can.

Unfortunately this is not fully a "software" related feature. I'm sorry but it also depends on the capabilities of the given hardware as well, thus only a software update would not be able to complete this feature.

I believe my example is a simple one that I have personally seen DJ's use. This feature would affect users who use that method in their DJ'ing. No it is not related to the OP as I brought it up as a more "in depth" example to how it could affect DJ's in certain situations. I believe it is a valid point though, I'm sorry if you disagree.

Yes I completely agree, there are other options. Which is why I stated it "brings forth many other thoughts and ideas to the table." But those are not related to the OP so I did not expand.

Yes that's a good suggestion, there has been a request to the engineers about a "scrolling display" you mentioned, and I think it's another cool idea and feature. :)

We will just have to wait to see for that. ;)

Again, I would appreciate a little more respect.

Thank you 

Foster 0 votes

Disagreeing with someone is not being disrespectful.

You have not answered the OPs question at all.  Quote the opposite: you've said it's not possible when it plainly IS possible.  You claim the hardware cannot support the idea, but you have not provided any detail or explanation.  Claims require evidence.

Foo Bar 0 votes

Sorry, it's not going to happen on the current hardware and I don't require any evidence to the contrary when I make that statement, but your ideas are welcome and have been passed to the engineers for future product consideration.

Pulse 0 votes

The only time anyone needs to post evidence is when they want to convince someone else.

Foo Bar 0 votes