Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

5 abonnés S’abonner

bpm and bpm lock

just bought a pair of cdj 350's and as much as i think there quality products im annoyed at the fact when i set the bpm lock on each deck it never works the beats sync for a few seconds then run out of sync even when both decks are locked to the same bpm , ive tried just setting the bpm without the bpm lock and just making them both for example 126 , and the same happens they dont run the same speed , i had some numark ndx400 before and they did a better job of staying at the same speeds if both set to 126 etc , i upgraded as i know pioneer are the best but now im left frustrated , any advice to what i can try ? im using usb sticks atm are cd's more accurate maybe ??? cheers

Mark Abraham

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

6 commentaires

@Mark > Have you updated the firmware on your CDJ's since you've bought them?

If not, please check  HERE and update if necessary.

Please also note that just because both the CDJ's say 126, does not mean they are both exactly the same. If 1 track on the CDJ-350 is 128 BPM at 0% pitch, and another track on the other CDJ-350 is 132 BPM at 0% pitch, you cannot simply increase the pitch % on the 128 BPM track until it says 130 BPM, and decrease the pitch % on the other track until it says 130 BPM to be at the same tempo.

On the CDJ-350's the BPM's have certain ranges of which they display a specific tempo. If the CDJ displays 130 BPM, that means it will display 130 BPM from the point of 129.50 BPM up until 130.45 BPM. So there is some room for error and could be where you are noticing the difference. Using the above scenario, the track that increased to say 130 BPM would only be at 129.50 BPM if you moved the tempo fader until it first read 130 BPM. Meanwhile, for that track you decreased to read 130 BPM, the track would only be at 130.45 BPM if you only moved the tempo fader until it first read 130 BPM. So to be honest, you would almost be 1 entire beat off per minute and that is noticeable.

Please note, the BPM reader on any type of CD player should only be used as a reference to ballpark what tempo you are playing at. For fine adjusting, a DJ should always result to using their ears and match the beats and tempos together. :)

If the case is what I mentioned above, then you should try using your ears to mix more before trusting the BPM readout. ;)

As far as using CD's and regular files on a USB device, sometimes the BPM count isn't always 100% accurate and can sometimes provide a slightly  different result than the actual BPM. This is why using your ears is much better.

If you want to receive accurate BPM readouts on your CDJ-350's, you should use Rekordbox as it should have been provided with your CDJ-350's. It's a free music management software that analyzes your tracks and allows you to export them to a USB device and be used on supported CDJ's. Rekordbox will analyze your tracks and provide you with an accurate BPM readout every time. But if not, you can quickly adjust the beat grid within the Rekordbox software to correct it.

By using Rekordbox analyzed files, you should always have accurate BPM readouts on your CDJ's, but please note it will not change the way the CDJ-350's display the BPM. You will still need to adjust the tempo and beat match the tracks by using your ears, as a DJ should always do. ;)

I hope this helps. :)

Foster 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

To clarify on @Foster's post above -- the BPM lock works best with rekordbox analyzed files.  If you use it with CDs, the audio is being measured to average the BPM and it can change during measurement.

Pulse 0 votes

for best accuracy, use rekordbox, and cdj not need to read the bpm of the track.

and will not move during the song.

Dj Sandom 0 votes

Just curious, what if you burn your rekordbox analyzed tracks to cd, would that give you a analyzed cd's with more accurate bpm?

Christopher Remy 0 votes

@Christopher > Sorry, but even if you burn a CD and include the Rekordbox data, the CDJ's cannot read the Rekordbox files off a CD.

Only directly on the first partition of a USB device, SD card, or directly linked to a computer running Rekordbox will they be recognized. ;)

Foster 0 votes