Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

41 abonnés S’abonner

CDJ2000 NXS Discussion,

Ok lets hear ya!!

who is getting them and what are your thoughts and questions??

lets get the ball rolling!!

Nick Hilton

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

218 commentaires

"PS: mixing IS an artform"

That I totally agree with you on. Especially EQ mixing. But beat matching is not mixing.

That's why you can still see people with sync buttons (Traktor for example) make a mess of things and sound awful.

Damien Sirkis 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

+1 on what Didier Malenfant said.

Mixing is done with the mixer, beatmatching etc is done with the source. Mixing is art, Playback is not an art

dtm 0 votes

I think running four channels and not making it a mess is alot more complicated then just beatmatching , just my two cents.

Sammy 0 votes

The hate and discontent being thrown around here is amazing.  The Sync button arguments are a waste of text because no one actually hears how mad you are if you can't even spell the word right.  

Let's not try to heat this topic up any more with all that misguided anger when the truth is that no one will refuse these if they show up and they are there (in the booth).  Get 'em or look onward because you'll end up looking like all the cats and clubs that insisted, kept on demanding MK3s based on some negative "principles" but when these were announced, they should realize now that they are way behind...way behind.  

If you want to start a protest or stand on the sidelines and criticize all day, don't worry, you can turn around right now, never look at these and gaze in glory at those things you hold so true.  Don't expect anyone to tap you on the shoulder and let you know that the rest of the world is leaving you now.

Let it go.  

Pioneer aren't selling analogue turntables in their Pro DJ range so stop it.  No one with a CDJ is a strict analogue vinyl turntable purist.  Even if you hunt down vinyl most of your week like me, nothing is better than having your collections & selections ready for work with whatever they have.

If the club world does not embrace based on Sync well it will be wrong, but all this morale, ethics, politics is actually just as dangerous as bad religion.

This idea of what they are offering in the Nexus model is a great thing. The Sync function is just an option.  If you have to use it and rely upon it without having any fundamental skills...that's on you - have at it.  Be aware of what's available.  Take and adopt what you can afford and if you can, get 1, 2, 3 or 4 of what may become quite possibly the best available...use it - let your talent shine through.

Not everyone will be beat looping the hell out of tracks but the emergency may save your butt...

runningoutofspace 0 votes

If you look back at cdjs there was a bpm detection which alote of djs used to cheat in a sense.  Look at all those djs you see on the Pioneer dj channel on youtube and djs in general most of them never move the tempo pitch they just use the pitch blend platter to keep in beat.  I use to wonder how where they mixing without moving the tempo pitch.

You take all those djs and put them on turntables with no bpm detection and no software they will all train wreck or take along time to beatmatch.  So yes beatmatching is a skill that takes time, but all of us need to understand that it was a smart move for pio to add the sync for two main reasons. 

1. There has been some form of syncing anyways such as bpm detections on cdjs so it was a logical step for pio to add the sync button at some point in time. 

2. If pioneer didn't do it some rival company would've done it.   

DJ NVASION 0 votes

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the sync button is there, get over it. It's not going anywhere.

DJNR 0 votes

running outofspace:

1.didn't realize this was a spelling class. thought we were DJs not grammaticians.

1. of course no DJ will walk away from a gig when he sees the nexxus SYNC button and i dont think

anyone is suggesting that. so that means we all should just shut up and not have an opinion?

1. the only one tapping me on the shoulder will be someone asking me what happened to Djing. :)

NVASION, i get your point. but for me there is a line in the sand that ya just dont cross

and that is this: now essentially you dont even need head phones. you can have all your cue points

set on the first beat of the first bar of each track, recall CP, hit sync and wha-la, perfect mix, i don't know

about anyone else

but that just goes a little too far for me. Any time your diminish the necessity for actually using your ears

to DJ, it's NOT a good thing IMHO.  I don't see it as a "logical step". maybe Pioneer sees it as a "necessary"

step to sell units. I wonder if their headphone sales will drop?? LOL

I guess I'm in the minority to think that sync buttons will NOT advance the art of DJing.

DubLN 0 votes

great for me cdj 2000s now should get cheaper 

Nick Potoczny 0 votes

and i can agree that its not a good step djs should up their skills like jeff mills not their hardware, theres some things the wizard can do on vinyl most djs cant even do with sync 

Nick Potoczny 0 votes

@ DubLN, agree with you wholeheartedly ....

@dtm .... er, using disabled people to make a funny point? classy.

DJBostonGreen 0 votes

Get me right!

If you can't learn how to beatmatch without sync your're quite disabled (IMHO). Maybe not physically but still..So no hard feelings against disabled people, but this would maybe get a new type of DMC.. Sync DMC (Special olympics for dj's) for people who can't beatmatch without it. 

dtm 0 votes

And if you still didn't get the point im making fun of dj's who can't beatmatch without sync! There you have it! Cheers!

dtm 0 votes

@dtm I'm all for freedom of speech but equating bad or lazy DJing to disabilties is going too far

Si BooGie 0 votes

@dtm I'm all for freedom of speech but equating bad or lazy DJing to disabilties is going too far

Si BooGie 0 votes

And to add something, its not about being lazy at all. If you're going to use sync, you have to prepare ALL your tracks in Rekordbox. Not just analyzing them but also adjusting the beatgrid of each single track. The new generation of dj's won't even know what a jogwheel was used for.

Let me introduce the new generation of dj's...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26682053.jpg

dtm 0 votes

@ dtm - comparing people with disabilities to people who can't beatmatch. wow. 

Phil 0 votes

mother of god, i quit. explaining something for you guys is even harder than helping a kid to read for the first time.

Beatmatching is the KEY to djing. Its like learning the alphabet before reading a novel.

Now DOWNLOAD the AUDIOBOOK, BEATMATCHING FOR DUMMIES, Metronome not included.

dtm 0 votes

DTM first get off 4chan/9gag stuff and stop using memes in a wrong context.

Beatmatching WAS the basic of dj'ing.

Now it's controlling your EFX and other stuff that's arround the booth , creativity makes the dj now.

And a sync button will not guarantee crowd control which it's probably about.

Sammy 0 votes

Sammy, Beatmatching is still the basic of dj'ing. Its not controlling the EFX and other stuff, the beatgrids are since Traktor 8 years ago, well yeah pioneer adopted it now with quantized stuff and sync. You are right about one thing, Creativity has always made the show, not Beatmatching

dtm 0 votes

like said listen to feddes sets how old skool the mixing is but how creative he gets with simple tools, thats the future of djing pressing sync is just a shortcut that will lead to a dead end, most djs that start off with a sync never get any real gigs, because like said you need the foundation of djing, its like learning to run before you can walk, but some djs do things that require a sync button for novice djs, and like said many times if you dont know the basics the sync will just lead to a trainwreck of songs trying to be mixed at one time because simple phrasing was skipped 

Nick Potoczny 0 votes

like the saying goes less is more 

Nick Potoczny 0 votes

I Can see a few  djs  getting the sack  In a year  or two with these  sync butons ...the bar men will run up to the dj box ever few minutes to press sync. :)

Bren 0 votes

I'm glad I can come here and read some awesome posts about the actual product rather than "real DJs" whining about beat matching....

...wait

DJNR 0 votes

Going through this thread trying to glean the real features of this new model.  

So, some folks hate sync.  I don't care either way...there are some times I'd use it (like doing a locked wide tempo sweep across players, or if I've f'd up and need a quick correction...we've all done that.)  I'd probably not use it 95% of the time otherwise, but usually one part of a set may have a spin down, and it'd be cool to have the flexibility to do this during a segue or with a looped sample running on the other deck.  Or I just do my default and produce it into a track off-line.

I'm curious if cues and hot cues are global (track-based) or playlist based?  Reason I ask is that I usually consider sets as having unique performance parameters.  Since this is Rekordbox-based, my assumption is that track settings are global, meaning that I put sets on unique thumb drives and the database holds the last tweaks I set before export.  If I had my way, I'd like to 'scribble' production notes on the waveform data and have this be unique to the playlist or set.  Heh-heh, tha'd be cool!

Add me to the 'lack of FLAC' flack.  Geebus, guys...it's like, what?  2012?  The workflow sucks, and keeping tags in sync is next to impossible.

I should probably post this in the Rekordbox group, but I'd love a way to audition a mix off-line in that package to help with building sets and setting cues.  I do this using another package, exporting the m3u, editing the m3u, then importing that into rekordbox, and setting cues and notes manually there.  This workflow is terrible, but the results are awesome.  Basically, you can think of it as an offline mix, coming up with production and performance notes, which eventually get loaded onto a thumb drive.  If I could write a script to do this, I would... I have the API for the PC-based package, but nobody has broken the voodoo code to rekordbox's databases.  So what?  Well, this would save me hours in workflow per gig.  Hours that are not particularly creative at all...  I'm not saying you need to replicate the functionality of that company in Germany, just a simple playlister that allows simultaneous play/overlap with release points and cue points.  If it were me, I'd make the release point the opposite of the cue triangle (pointing down rather than up, for example.)  wow, that was a ramble!  

I posted this in the XDJ thread, but I'd love two of these suckers in a single smaller unit with a mixer section, with everything but the cdj mechanism.  I could even deal with smaller platters (and do without that spinning thingie which I always thought was pure fluff) but keep the freakin' 100mm pitch fader and epic display!  It would make festivals a reliable cakewalk.

now, on to seeing if the nexus is on my upgrade path...

pope 0 votes

@Dream > I read that a few days ago some valid point I think, it will water down the next generationof DJ's but I think the whole DJ scene is changing. I'm not sure if it's for the better or worse. Is playing/mixing a track (record) the same of playing loops and sample in ableton? Is having quantized FX the same as having synced beats? What make a DJ or what seperates a DJ from a musician? The lines are becoming more blured. I remember when having a Dubplate, that one of a kind remix, was what a DJ cared about but that was long ago. If I pay to see a DJ I want to see him/her DJ, decks and FX. No ablelton, if some one wants to make music I say get 'em out the booth and get 'em on stage. If they can't make their sound from the tracks they have they need to go buy better or more tracks.

I remember the first time I saw a controller DJ, this was years ago VDJ and Traktor were still very new products on the market. Anyway this DJ had a custom built controller and software from a small gargae company in the USA. I was amazed but after watching what he doing I asked so what do you do besides press that sync button and play???

The magic is dying, the wizards are no longer required as science takes over and the scientist with their technology pretend to be the new wizards

Si BooGie 0 votes