Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

[SOLVED] Starting out! (XDJ Aero vs DDJ SX)

Hello everyone, im 21 years old and have always been interested in music and I feel that the time has come to get into DJing after producing a bit on my spare time which I still do but I really want to get out in the clubs now and play some music, most clubs around here are just awful when it comes to music they play so I feel a bit like I have to come to the rescue haha, literally nicki minaj and other top 100's.. mainstream really.

Now for the questions, XDJ Aero vs DDJ SX?

Which one of these would be the best option for me? I feel that the Aero would be the best choice personally as I really dont want to play through a laptop + spend money on serato etc and with the wireless the Aero provides it just makes it so much easier, and it can be used as a midi controller as well if I really wanted to use it like that.

Really confused about the hot cues as well though, are they available on the aero or not? people keep giving me different answers all the time.

Im just really worried that once I have practiced enough here at home/friends house party that when I step up to the CDJ's 2000 (which are pretty much basic at the clubs here) I'll be all confused.. feels like the aero wont prepare me for that kind of step up.

DDJ SX seems a bit more advanced and looks a bit like the pro series which are being used at the clubs but I would have to use it via my desktop PC all the time as I really dont want to spend money on a laptop as well which I would need to do if I wanted to bring it out somewhere.

Really hard to choose and I hope you guys can help me out a bit here, especially if you own these 2 products yourself's and play regulary out in the clubs on the CDJ's :)

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

Cette publication n’accepte pas de commentaire.

5 commentaires

I have little experience with the controllers but would offer up some advice from a longer-term perspective - if the end game is to work CDJs in a club environment, assume you'll need to end up owning them at some point and budget accordingly (said another way, you shouldn't expect to be able to prep on either of these units and play out on some CDJs at the club - for a thousand different reasons).  If you want to pick up either the XDJ or SX to test the waters and see if live mixing is something you want to pursue, realize that if you do decide to keep at it, you'll be upgrading to CDJs before you know it and whatever $ you drop on one of these units will be sunk.  I would recommend considering previous model CDJ/DJMs (e.g., my buddy just picked up a used DJM800 + 2 CDJ900s for $3k, which is roughly equivalent to the cost of an SX + Macbook Pro and despite being older models, wouldn't be surprised if you found some of your favorite venues still running this equipment).  That all said, there are some that ignore CDJs altogether and simply bring their controllers to their gigs - while this is becoming more and more prevalent and some big-name performers are doing it (e.g., Porter Robinson), be warned there's still a good number of people in the industry that perceive 'controllerism' as unprofessional and associate controllers with novice/beginner DJs.  To avoid inciting a riot on this thread, I personally have no objection to controllers in the DJ booth - I've heard some wicked sets come out of controllers and some units, such as the SX, even have features that aren't available on the newest CDJ/DJM combo.  Hope this helps.     

Fox 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Thanks a lot for the input!

I'm starting to lean towards the CDJ/DJM 350's after what you have just said. I definitely want to be playing on CDJ's and thought the Aero was quiet similar to it after the videos and such I've been watching.

I definitely do not want to throw out 3k or such on the 800/900 combo just yet! :p

Just want to make sure the step up to the club's set is not too big once I get going, pretty sure I could manage to go over there during the day and practice a bit as well.

Andreas 0 votes

Ordering next week, getting the DDJ SX which I will be using at home via my PC until I can afford a decent laptop to bring with me!

Been reading about headphones problems with the SX though.. hope that wont be a problem with my unit.

Have talked to a few club djs and they say that the step from SX to 900's/2000's aint that bad at all but nevertheless, once im really comfortable with the mixing and so on I should have my own mac that I can bring with me.

Wouldnt be a disaster running my music through rekordbox and playing it on their system if I really had to though!

Andreas 0 votes

After a brief discussion with a sales person at a local DJ store, I ordered a DDJ-SX. Took a while for it to get to me but eventually got my hands on it. The controller is a fantastic bit of kit and seems very well constructed. My only gripe has to be that it is a controller and therefore need to plug my laptop in for it to work. This can be right pain as I normally have my laptop connected to an external monitor and HDD for work. So for me the DDJ-SX doesn't lend it self to when I want to just jump on the decks for a quick half hour.

I have now in addition bought an XDJ-Aero, which is fantastic as 2 deck mixing station. I can just drop a couple of tunes over the wifi connection and play around with various mixes or play some tunes of usb stick for half hour. And no wires to disconnect or reconnect!

I now find myself in a dilemma 'To controller or not to controller?' Alas I will have to get rid of one but both have different capabilities and therefore merits.

n1ck76 0 votes

In the end, even if the DDJ SX is a controller it offers so much more in terms of DJing compared to the Aero it seems, as im just starting out as well and will mainly use it at home until I get comfortable enough to bring it out to the clubs with my (hopefully then) macbook it wasnt that much of a hard choice!

The wifi and rekordbox stuff is all great on the aero but it doesnt feel like something you will bring out to a packed club compared to a professional DJ controller!

Besides it feels like I would get a lot more smoother transition over to the CDJ 900's/2000's if I ever decided to jump ship to them later on.

Andreas 0 votes