Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

DJM S9 fader cut in dead space

Hello. Just received my DJM S9 and I love it. There is one thing that is bothering me and that is the dead space on the fader to full volume for the new magvel pro crossfader. I am not talking about the cross fader curve adjustment, I have that set to the sharpest possible. What I am talking about is how far the fader needs to be moved for volume to cut through. Currently its about almost 4mm of dead space when the fader is being moved in order to get sound to come in. And I tested this on my other DJM S9 (I bought two) and its the same thing. Is there anyway to adjust the crossfader so that the cut in is very sharp and there is only 1mm of dead space? This makes a huge difference when scratching and cutting which is my main use of the mixer.

Mickey K.

Commentaire officiel

Hello Mickey K.,

Thank you for your inquiry.
We understand your frustration.
However, DJM-S9 has not been officially released so that manuals will be released on-line when the product is on the market.
Also, the current version of Serato DJ does not support DJM-S9.
This is why your S9 does not work as expected.
After you read the manual and Serato DJ is updated, we believe most of your problems will be solved.

We would really appreciate it if you would stop discussing the unreleased product in this forum, which is only for discussing the already released products.
Sorry for the accidental purchase of the unreleased product.

Thanks,
CRM, Pioneer DJ

Keiko
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

17 commentaires

@Mickey > Have you tried changing the bumpers? I know they're different materials but it was also my understanding that they could also affect the lag distance.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse well the box didn't have any additional bumpers inside of it. It seems like the bumpers are already installed because there is no clicking sound at all when cutting.

Mickey K. 0 votes

@Mickey > There's supposed to be 3 different bumpers you can insert into the fader. Are you certain there were none in the box?

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse > yes I did not see anything in either of the boxes. I own 2. There is only the serato records and the small packet that with the control cds and manual.

Mickey K. 0 votes

Let me ask the engineers as I've not had an opportunity to get a sample S9 yet, but what I assumed through the marketing materials is there would be 3 different bumper materials available for users to customize the crossfader themselves.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse > Yes please that would be great. I didn't see anything in the box but I saw in the video that there are 3 sets and this may be the answer to my question.

Mickey K. 0 votes

@Pulse > So I have confirmed that the box itself doesnt have any of the bumpers. According to the operating instructions quick start guide, Fader bumper A x4 and Fader bumper B x 2 are included inside of the panel of the djm-s9. it says to read the operating instructions online for the djm-s9 but there is nothing available yet online. Is there any way you can provide me with these instructions so I can properly remove the panel and try out the different cushion?. Thanks!

Mickey K. 0 votes

Interesting! No manual inside the box / on CD? I'll see if I can get a digital copy.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse > Yup! No manual, just a quick start guide, control cds and control records, thats all. A digital copy would be great, thanks you.

Mickey K. 0 votes

@Pulse > Through further experimentation I came across something very interesting. Please keep in mind the fader curve adjustment on the mixer is set all the way to the sharpest cut and the fader tension is all the way light. When there is absolutely no laptop connected through the usb and you are playing vinyl only, the cutoff of the crossfader is 1mm. So if I move the crossfader from all the way left where it is only playing the left deck only 1mm in towards the right, the right deck cuts in at full volume. This is fantastic and how I want the crossfader to behave at all times. Now this is the weird part. At this point the crossfader has been moved in from left to right 1mm and there is full volume and I have left the crossfader at this point. I now take the usb and connect it to the laptop, and this is not with serato dj open, this is just connecting the usb to the laptop. As soon as the usb is connected, the S9 recognizes a computer has been connected and boom! The sound shuts off. I now have to move the fader in towards the right more to get volume which brings me to the original problem, about a 2.5-3mm cut in to get volume to come through again. So:

With no laptop connected and just playing vinyl, the cutoff = 1mm. PERFECTION!

With a laptop connected, no serato playing vinyl, or serato and playing serato control records, cutoff = 2.5-3mm. =(

I am going to make a video and post a link so you can see exactly what is happening. Hopefully you can forward this issue to the engineers so this issue can be resolved. I can't justify keeping the mixers if they continue to behave this way because playing vinyl for me is huge. And since this is supposed to be a mixer dedicated to turntablism, I would expect for the cutoff to be as sharp as it can be regardless of the fact that I am playing vinyl with no laptop connected and to behave the same with the laptop connected.

My question is, is this a defect in the mixer?

I am not a programmer by any means but it seems to me that since the problem arises when there is no laptop connected, it is a programming issue and should be able to be resolved with a firmware update.

The fader for me feels great and I don't really have any desire to change the bumpers out. And since I figured out that the crossfader behaves the way I want it to when a laptop is connected I don't think the bumpers will resolve the issue.

Please let me know, and also, is there any word on the operational manual?
Thanks!

Mickey K. 0 votes

im the djm s9 utility you should have a setting for this

DJBM 0 votes

i think the setting from the djm s9 utility are just not saved and this will get fixed in a frimware upgrade

DJBM 0 votes

@Moe Ben Thanks Moe Ben. Yes we figured that out and I have set the desired settings. But thats correct, when you disconnect the laptop the settings do not save. The settings work automatically when a laptop is connected and powered on. We are just waiting patiently for the firmware update to fix this issue, we understand the mixer is not officially out yet so there is no official support.

Mickey K. 0 votes