Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Djm 900 nexus 2 digital out

Want to use the digital out with a Focusrite Safire sound card for "live" purposes. Have 3 identical, same brand, quality, cables but two are 1'5mts and the other 5mts. The shorters are used to connect two cdj2000nxs2 to the mixer. And the longer is for the mixer to the Focusrite.

Well, with the 5mtrs cable cant use sampler rates higher than 48khz from the mixer, but if i use a shorter cable (1'5mtrs) its work...

But if i use the 5mtrs cable with the cdj's to the Focusrite it works.

I think that the cables arent very good... But why it works with cdi's and not with djm? What sample rate has the cdj2000nxs2's digital out?

Joaquin de Lara

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

17 commentaires

The digital output from both the CDJ-2000NXS2 and DJM-900NXS uses linear-PCM and has a maximum of 24bit/96kHz. The sampling rate output of the DJM can be adjusted (44.1, 44, 88.2 or 96kHz).

If you're not using a 75ohm rated cable, there is a potential for data signal loss.

The other thing to check is that your sample rate on the Focusrite is set to match the mixer, probably through their control panel applet.

Pulse 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Sample rate in the Focusrite is set to match the mixer. The doubt is why those cables works with the cdj's and not with the mixer. Can be the cdj's signal "stronger" than the mixer's signal? Those cables arent the best in the market but are for these purposes. Will try with better cables.

Thanks for your reply Pulse!!

Joaquin de Lara 0 votes

I'm not sure, the signal "strength" is a fairly standard thing for digital outputs. Did you possibly have the cable connected the wrong way? Some are directional and have printing on the cable jacket to indicate which way the signal flow goes.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for the info Pulse. Will try with better cables.

Joaquin de Lara 0 votes

Hi Pulse

Have tried with better, and more expensive cables.

The results are the same.

I've done more tests:

-Using a cdi-2000nxs2 as a audio interface, creating an agregate device, can configure the cdj's sample rate from 44'1 to 96Khz. The cdj's digital output goes to the Focusrite's digital imput. At every sample rate the Focusrite soundcard syncs with no problem.

-With the djm900nxs2, with better and expensive cables, can sync with sample rates at 44'1, 48, 88'2Khz

but not at 96Khz where sound comes and gone, goes intermittent, discontinuous. This happend also with larger or cheapest cables at 88'2khz. The Focusrite goes "sync", "no sync", "sync", "no sync"...

If i set, in the djm, in "digital master out"->"level" to the max (-5db) the sound goes less intermittent at 96Khz, and goes well, sync, at 88'2Khz with larger or cheapest cables.

Why don't have any problem with every cable at any sample rate with cdjs?

And why this "intermittence" varies in the djm, at higher sample rates, depends on the signal level?

Thanks Pulse and sorry about my english.

Joaquin de Lara 0 votes

@Joaquin > I appreciate your persistence in testing to find the answers here, but unfortunately I'm not sure why it's not working as intended. I'm going to escalate this to our mixer product team to see if they can provide any insight.

Pulse 0 votes

The engineers would like to know the following:

Could you test using the same 5m cable to CDJ as well as DJM? They would like to narrow down the problem is DJM or cable related.

1. Please connect Focusrite Safire sound card with CDJ using the 5m cable.
  → Is the audio outputted without any issue?

2. Please connect Focusrite Safire sound card with DJM using the 5m cable.
  → Is the audio outputted without any issue?

They also need further information when using different combinations of cables and sampling rates.

Cable length :1.5m, 5m
Sampling rate: 44.1k, 48k, 96k

At which rate(s) are you able to output audio from CDJ-2000NXS2 to Safire?
At which rate(s) are you able to output audio from DJM-900NXS2 > CDJ-2000NXS > Safire?

Pulse 0 votes

Hi!!

1.- Safire with CDJ, 5mts cable-> ok

2.- Safire with DJM, 5mts cable-> not ok

DJM

- Cable length 5mts ->sample rates without any issue=44'1, 48Khz.  And if i set in "digital master out"->"level" to the max (-5db) works at 88'2Khz too.

- Cable length 1'5mts->sample rates without any issue=44'1, 48, 88'2Khz. And if i set in "digital master out"->"level" to the max (-5db) works at 96Khz but in a intermittent way.

-Rate(s) i'm able to output audio from CDJ-2000NXS2 to Safire without any issue and any kind of cable->EVERY

-Rate(s) i'm able to output audio from DJM-900NXS2 to Safire without any issue and any kind of cable->44'1, 48Khz.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!

Joaquin de Lara 0 votes

Thanks, I'll pass that along and get back to you.

Pulse 0 votes

@Joaquin > Thanks for your patience. The engineers have reviewed your comments and have provided the following comments:

Audio dropout depending on Sample rate is usually affected by differences of each quality of cable and DJ unit. This issue might be caused by hardware issue of DJM-900NXS2. If you think this issue will seriously affect the performance, we recommend you to send the unit for servicing.

If you would like to send it for service, please let us know and we will create a ticket to collect some information and direct you to a local service center.

Pulse 0 votes

@Joaquin > Just following up to see if you've had a chance to decide on sending the mixer for service?

Pulse 0 votes

Sorry the waiting. I've been too busy working a lot.

I've made some tests with other sound cards and it works fine.

It is so estrange that the only problem is between Focusrite Saffire and Pioneer Djm900nxs2.

Between Saffire an another machine (another sound card, cdi's, another mixer...) no problem; only with djm900nxs2.

Between djm900nxs2 and another machine (a M-audio interface, a Rme interface, a dat...) no problem; only with my Safire.

It's so strange, don know how spdif signals works but cant understand why!!

As i said i'm too busy working and dont want to be without the mixer a week or two to have a response from the technical service saying that works ok...

Thanks again for your support and sorry for the delay.

Joaquin de Lara 0 votes

Thanks for taking the time to write back. The engineers also wanted me to let you know the following info:

Sampling rate is determined depending on the settings of DJM, but for CDJ depending on the playback files' sampling rate. However, when HOT CUE is set on CDJ, the sampling rate will be fixed to one rate. This is why the sampling rate is different between CDJ and DJM.

Pulse 0 votes