Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

XDJ-R1 freeze in midi connection with Virtual Dj

Hello dear Pioneer and forum users,

I am a professional dj in Greece and i play my gigs in weddings and special occasions. I' ve got my R1 since February 2015. I have tried 1.10, 1.11 and now 1.12 firmware and i use R1 only as a midi controller with a Macbook Pro 13.3 mid 2012 and Virtual dj version 8.1 (with a pro infinity license).

I thought R1 would be the perfect portable solution for me as i have 2 backup options (USB stick with organized playlists through Rekordbox or CD' s) in case that anything happens to laptop. 

I experience the problem since my first use. The R1 freezes during gig (not any button responds with Virtual dj) and the only way to become functional again is to unplug the usb cable and plug again. Or keep playing all night using the mouse and keyboard controls!

I experience the freeze-ups really randomly. All this time i am trying to understand in which moments the connection freezes but no answers. It really happens randomly!! It may happen twice or more in a gig or maybe never in the whole night. I hope you understand that this is a nightmare!

Maybe one more information is that once the R1 was frozen an i had time for experiments, i tried to connect through remote box from iPhone 5s but it was frozen too! 

I tried a different usb cable, tried connecting to both two usb 3.0 ports of my laptop (but i think they are coming from the same internal hub) and also tried several versions of Virtual Dj 8. No effect. I still experience freeze-ups! Oh, i also turned Wi-Fi off, as i thought it maybe has effect on my problem.

Finally i decided to contact Pioneer' s affiliated-support company in Greece (Interesys S.A) and then was the moment i really freaked out and i feel the need to share this with you:

Obviously that guy had no idea even about which Pioneer product i was talking about, no idea on dj equipment, and after our 20 minutes discussion the answer was: "Ok, since it doesn't happen any time, when it freezes-up you can keep playing all night using the mouse and keyboard...".!!!

OH MY GOD!!!

Really? I spent 900$ for this machine and the official Pioneer service in Greece told me to spend the gig night without using it at all???

I read several posts from other users mentioning their own problems and i am really disappointed from R1 and Pioneer.  And i further concern because i see that no one has any answer to these problems. Pioneer staff just ask question about under what conditions the problems occur but i never saw any answers! Just posts left unanswered for months...

Dear Pioneer staff, i hope to get an answer from you soon. Is there any way to get a new R1 if its faulty, or maybe to replace my R1 with an other product (maybe aero) or get a refund? Is there any way to fix mine? Maybe an upcoming firmware update that fixes these issues?

Thank you at all.

P.S. i could not capture the moment in video yet, but i will if it's necessary. But i have found a video in youtube from an other guy with exactly the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5li2wUD3sA

ATHANASIOS KALLIS

Commentaire officiel

Hey all,

I'm sorry that this took so long to be issued, but the engineers have released firmware version 1.13 for the XDJ-R1, which addresses the following issues:

• Noise occurred when playing some tracks on a USB storage device.
  • Hot cue position was not on the beat position when it was called on rekordbox even if it was set on XDJ-R1 with QUANTIZE ON.

You can download the update here, update instructions are available here.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

6 commentaires

@Athanasios > Sorry to hear about the problem with your R1 and I'm sorry the support person you spoke with wasn't sympathetic to a DJ's needs (using a mouse only? That is certainly not a solution).

It would help to know if the problem also occurs when using the R1 as an audio device for other applications, are you able to test it with any other software? It doesn't necessarily have to be a DJ program, so long as it outputs the audio through the R1.

Pulse 0 votes

At first i have my R1 ready to play at my office and i play about 3 hours live and 5 hours playlist every day, trying to force it freeze. But of course, it only freezes when in serious gigs!!

I' ll give a try with other dj software and i' ll let you know, but i thought R1' s midi controller mode is designed for virtual dj.

I also have some other questions, as i am performing some experiments myself to find out what the problem is.

1) R1 uses the power supply to power up everything? Or maybe LED lights and other things are supplied through USB?

2) I am now trying to connect R1 only through my Ankor powered usb 3.0 hub, together with my two WD HD' s. I know rhat this is wrong and i should connect soundcards directly to laptops usb port, but i need to try this too. Maybe external hub can provide more stable power supply.

3) I also mentioned that maybe something is going wrong with R1' s power supply. When it is powered on, vu re lights and usb input' s red light are flickering. Do you think that this may be a problem? Do you think that this can cause freeze-ups?

Thank you for your quick answer and interrest.

ATHANASIOS KALLIS 0 votes

@Anthanasios > You MUST use the external power. While some LEDs may illuminate when connected via USB, the R1 requires use of the power supply. If connecting it to a computer, we don't recommend using a USB hub.

A faulty power supply could certainly be a problem, you can try replacing it with any that matches the recommended output voltage / amperage with the same size DC barrel / polarity configuration.

Pulse 0 votes

May you please recommend to me the perfect usb cable for R1?

Is Pioneer planning to upgrade the firmware soon?

ATHANASIOS KALLIS 0 votes

@Anthanoasios > I'm not sure about any upcoming firmware releases, we seldom have any detail on those before they're announced.

As for the USB cable, simply try one or two others, it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.

Pulse 0 votes