Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

How to play from USB on DDJ-RR with Rekordbox performance mode

Hi,

One of the reasons I bought a DDJ-RR was to be able to use it for parties, allowing other DJs to bring USB thumb drives exported from Rekordbox and play from them. (Effectively using the system like a CDJ + mixer set-up in a club.)

The salesman in the shop assured me this was possible. However, I find that I can't access the USB stick (under 'devices') in performance mode, only in export mode. I can navigate to it in the explorer, but I can't access the MP3 files from there.

In Export mode I can see the tracks and access the cue and beatgrid information, so I know that Rekordbox is aware of the information I need from the USB.

I can't get around it by importing the tracks from the USB stick either, as they won't exist in my collection and it would violate the Rekordbox copy protection system. That wouldn't be a good solution anyway, as I wouldn't want to force DJs to give me all their beatgridded tracks just so they could play!

Is there a setting I need to change or something? Or another workaround?

Benjamin Edward Niklaus Randles-Dunkley Répondu

Commentaire officiel

This is not possible as rekordbox can only read on database at a time.  This has been well documented on the forums. 

Mark Gallo
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

8 commentaires

"The salesman in the shop assured me this was possible"

While technically correct it isn't the "on the fly" solution you where after.

You want the XDJ RX - 2 USB slots but a big price difference.

DJ Phil 0 votes

Mark: Are there any plans to change this in future? Are there any workarounds I could employ to allow people to DJ from a USB, even if they involve changes to settings or moving files around or the like?

DJ Phil: You say the salesman was "technically correct". However the official comment seems is that it's not possible. In what way was the salesman "technically correct"?

Benjamin Edward Niklaus Randles-Dunkley 0 votes

And yes, the price difference is a bit too much. :(

Unfortunately, I'm not privy to this type of information.

Mark Gallo 0 votes

Technically correct means every dj copies their music to the host computer, plays their set then deletes their files when done. Any prep done in their own Rekordbox is lost. This is doable but messy.

Your scenario of multiple dj's working from the same instance of software is not supported by Rekordbox when working with a controller like the RR. You need either a CDJ setup or the XDJ RX for the multiple USB ports.

The feature you need - this is the important part - doesn't exist at the DDJ RR price point.

I'm disappointed in the fact that none of the Rekordbox controllers at any price point have the ability to recall cue points, only hot cues. That is a real head scratcher.

DJ Phil 0 votes

Ah, so by 'technically correct' you mean 'not at all correct' (or 'wrong'). ;)

It would be an awesome feature if RB could switch to using the USB database if one is plugged in though!

Are the database formats the same on an export? Could you just change the DB location to the USB stick?

H3X 0 votes