Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Suggestion: Sort by artist and then by track title

When sorting by artist, it would be helpful to secondarily sort by the track title so that each track for an artist appears in alphabetical order. This has been requested before, with Pioneer responding that it's on the development feature list but without a known timeline. I'm currently in the market for a new DJ controller and the lack of combined artist and title sort is one of the key quality of life problems that is currently making me consider moving to Serato instead.

Rather than just complaining, though, I have a slightly different suggestion for an approach that might enable the feature without the development effort of a full multi-column sort implementation. When the Summary column is enabled, clicking that column's header pops up a context menu asking the user which field within that "meta-column" should be sorted. Currently, it allows sorting by Artist, Title, BPM, or Key. Adding an "Artist & Track Title" option to that context menu would be a quick win here.

I don't know how Rekordbox internally binds its table views to the data model, but if the issue delaying the implementation of this feature is related to a lack of plumbing to cause a multi-column ORDER BY clause to be generated in the underlying SQLite query, a workaround would be to select an additional column using SQLite's concatenate operator, e.g.:

SELECT artist.Name || " - " || content.Title AS ArtistAndTitle

This would then give you a "virtual" column by which the data can be sorted, and since the summary column doesn't support click-to-edit anyway you wouldn't need to worry about the field not actually being backed by a real database column binding.

EDIT: My apologies, I just realised I posted this in the rekordbox forum rather than the product suggestions forum. I'll leave it here for a moderator to migrate if needed rather than deleting and recreating manually.

Graham Sutherland

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

3 commentaires

By that, do you mean I should repost this same suggestion there, and that you can't migrate this?

Graham Sutherland 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Yes, you need to post it there. We can not migrate it. 

Gabriel 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien