Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

Cue level issues - mixing with headphones and no speakers

Hi,

Im trying to do a bit of late night set recording without my speakers.

The problem comes when I use the master cue to hear the track playing, the cue (1-4) that im using to hear the track coming in, is alot louder than the master cue.

The only thing that seems to work is turning the master level right up so the master cue is a similar volume to the 1-4 cues, surely im doing something wrong.

***using a DJM 750***

Danielcoughlin

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

4 commentaires

You're not doing anything wrong.  You simply discovered that the headphone master cue is post master volume control.  That's by design and dates back to the availability of the rotary volume kits where rotary heads wanted to run the channels at less than unity.  It allows you to make unity on the faders around 7 when the master is at max (and about +10dB over unity).  Unity on the master is about 2:15 when the faders are at max.  So you need to stop using the master out to control sound system volume.  In this case, you're in luck since you're not even using a sound system.  Set the master out at unity so that its meters are the same as the open channel's meter when its fader is at unity, and leave it there.  Unity is good.  Use unity.  Unity is your friend and will always be reliable.  Level you put in is the level you get out.  If you need the sound system to be quieter, use an outboard control of the volume, the DJM's pad (usually only in gross increments, unfortunately), or run your channel meters at lower levels to compensate (not optimal from an analog input S/N ratio standpoint, but still usable).  But again, you're apparently not dealing with a sound system.

Reticuli 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Hi...as per my knowledge using the headphone pfl/master mix volume control. I have the master at maybe 5-10% volume and the pfl at full volume. I normally have the headphones on one ear listening to both master and pfl while the other can also hear the master output from the speakers in the room.

percentage calculator

Burch Sung 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien