Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

5 abonnés S’abonner

ddj1000 pitch display different to laptop

theres a decimal place missing from the pitch display on the ddj1000 creating track drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZU2LueT69A

andyfoz

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

10 commentaires

such a weak reply pulse, how was the decision to make the ddj display differ to that of the laptop arrived at?

who took that decision want s sacking, its totally counter intuitive and defeats the point of the display. I mean its giving incorrect information!

it got through testing like this? who was testing it a chimpanzee?

andyfoz 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

this was asked in another post.

my reply is it really doesn't matter over the .01 decimal this will not drift in a mix as much as you think. are you rail mixing your transitions for 2+ mins with no manual adjustments? then it may drift but ever so small. a mix of 10 mins will be overkill and then its just noticeable - most tracks are around 5-7 mins anyhow - trance can hit 12mins!

If the argument was 0.1 then yeah in 1 minute your tracks original bpm of 130 transpires into 130.1

this is so minor and can be made accurate by bopping that sync button if it bothers you so (as long as the grid analysis is tight mind)
Pulse's reply maybe blunt but its to the point. he does a lot of replies and gives great advice.

I bet if you mixed by ear and then looked at the software the bpm reading it will be off by say .08!
vinyl was the same and it never bother millions if djs out there.

You are seeing a read out and complaining over a .00 decimal. the ddj1000 only need to read the absolute necessary.

OR try this and it will freak you out - set software to 130.16.... ddj1000 reads 130.2!
and yes a chimpanzee can mix using the display read outs - can he do it by ear ? haha

Ravinstomper -2 votes

do think i care about what the drift ratio is?

might aswell look at the laptop top know and get the correct info first time, screens are a useless gimmick.

andyfoz 0 votes

I'll put it this way...

If you're complaining about the 2nd decimal because you're using that to match your tracks, why aren't you pressing the sync button? Because clearly you're not mixing by ear.

Pulse 0 votes

using the sync button on pioneer controllers causes the pitch to lock its self in certain situations and the jog wheel on the master will not pitch bend.

it all gets a bit confusing, if you match the beats with the pitch faders only (no sync button) then both jogs function as expected and the pitch faders dont become locked.

its worse on the ddj1000 because its missing the little red arrows from the RR RX and RZ which indicate how to unlock the pitch when the sync button has been engaged.

Using the actual sync button is an absolute chore in multi genre/bpm mixing.

as for the screens, you dont think they should display the same value? of course they should if only for logics sake and nothing else.

now i have to look at the laptop and never look at the jog screens because one is giving more accurate info or you might say one drifts and one doesnt.

andyfoz 0 votes

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but i think the issue lies elsewhere.
Indeed the jog display would benefit from displaying a second decimal point or at least have the option to choose since you would look less at the laptop screen. Also pitch percentage on jog shows different value than laptop screen on latest version of rekordbox and latest firmware of ddj 1000.

To respond to Pulse’s reply in this thread. If indeed you try to beatmatch by ear at 10% range (standard range i use on other cdj gear also), i’ve noticed the pitch fader only adjusts in 0.02 increments, depending on the pitch movement it either displays odd or even decimal endings. This in turn, makes it hard to beatmatch since it’s hard to catch that exact value since one track will be 120.01 and the other 120.02, so they will drift, also if you try to adjust either pitch fader you still won’t catch a 120.01 unless you sort off ‘wiggle’ (for lack of a better word) the pitch fader, from which point it will continue to adjust in 0.02 increments. This is an issue almost at every transition i make and I end up adjusting the pitch fader endlesly (i like to ride the pitch for practice frequently as vinyl practice). Never had these issues even in old cdj gear like cdj-200 you can beatmatch accurately and stay locked at 10% range.

From personal non scientific testing i found my ear precision to be 0.01 so to FINALLY get to the point, is it possible via firmware update to modify the pitch fader resolution for 10% range to adjust in 0.01 increments? Judging by older threads regarding pitch fader precision this should be possible. I remember an older thread with ddj rr or rb that also had some pitch fader issues that were addressed via firmware update.

To summarize it all, of course a question for @Pulse, is it possible to receive a firmware update for the ddj 1000 which will contain the following features:

a) display two decimal points on jog display for bpm [improvement]
b) match pitch fader percentage from jog with value from laptop screen [fix]
c) most important in my opinion, adjust the pitch fader movement precision for 10% range to adjust in 0.01 increments. [improvement]

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post and thread hijack.

Razvan Dagadita 1 vote

I'll put it this way….

It's a mistake/bug/error very easy to solve. I don't know we have to mix as you want. That's bullshit.

No matter how much you mix by ear or watching the screen, it never just fits well, no matter how much you touch the jog or the pitch.

And if you use 3 decks at the same time, it is horrible.

I don't understand the need to disrespect or tell others how to mix. JUST FIX THE BUG.

We paid to have a quality product that works well. Is an easily solvable problem with a software update. 

We don't need to listen "hit the sync" and bullshit like that. I don't want to use sync, I want my controller to work properly cause I paid for that. THANKS

Alberto Gombau 0 votes

ok the issue for me is that when the slider is in the middle and I want to move one line whether up or down I get nothing...on to the second line and the switch is very annoying not to mention obvious making the speed change abnormally obvious. is there a way to calibrate this?

ronald 0 votes

@Ronald, there should be a way to alter the pitch fader resolution via firmware update (make it so it includes more steps for each range) then the changes should be smoother in theory at least, already asked for this feature since it was provided to older controllers that had similar issues as well. 

We really need some input from Pulse or other Pioneer support member to know what can be done to improve things.

Razvan Dagadita 1 vote