Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

rubbing alcohol etched jog wheel plastic platter

I dipped a q-tip into a bottle of rubbing alcohol and proceeded to clean the jog wheel platters on my DDJ 1000. And it looks like the alcohol may have etched the plastic because there are now clearly visible (and seemingly permanent) streaks where I cleaned the platter. Is there any way to fix this? Or do I need to replace the platter faces? Please help.

dzudoan Répondu

Commentaire officiel

Sorry, but it certainly does say in the DDJ-1000 quickstart manual:

Unfortunately this is not something covered by warranty, but the good news is you can replace the jog window with this part (DAH3189), which is the same part as on CDJs. If you're in Canada / USA, you can order it here. Unfortunately we can't provide instructions or information on disassembling the DDJ or performing this repair as we always recommend you have an authorized service shop perform any repairs or fixes.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

6 commentaires

not sure you can fix this as rubbing alcohol can be quite hash on delicate materials and is pretty much irreversible. think the manual may even say not to use heavy cleaning products.

however you could put a cdj jog sticker found on ebay very easy to hide the damage. these come in various colours and designs.

next time just clean it with a very light damp cloth. plain water and a microfiber works great. in fact i pinched my girlfriends soft blusher brush to use as a great duster lol

Ravinstomper 0 votes

You did notice he said a DDJ-1000 so that makes your comment about stickers not viable as the jogs on the 1000 have the displays in them.

He's pretty much stuck with 4 options:

1. live with the streaks

2. try to buff them out

3. have them replaced

4. replace the unit

LS 0 votes

to be fair he did say the platters and not the display in the centre. thus i thought he could cover the damage with a classic cdj sticker found easy on the net.

these do not cover the centre as they are mostly text in a circular fashion around the jog wheel.

i would not attempt to buff it out as more damage could be made by using the wrong compounds for the plastic. plus the jogs have that etched groove feel.

the cheapest route would be get stickers dependant to where the damage is then seek out the platter top replacement and get them fitted at a much higher cost.

its his call now.

Ravinstomper 0 votes

Hi, not quite sure which part of the jog your are talking about...
before resorting to have them replaced, maybe try some toothpaste and polishing out. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive and is renowned for being able to take off a fine layer on a damaged plastic surface.

It’s a great tip, used a lot on scratched cd’s, DVD’s and car headlights.
Worth a shot? Have a search on YouTube. I’m sure there’ll be some guides on how to do it. Worst case, you’ll have minty smelling jogs!

Good luck.

Chris Weeks 0 votes

Hello All,

Hope everyone is well. Sorry I didn’t fully clarify on my initial post, but luckily I only used the rubbing alcohol to clean the ring of the jogwheel plate and not the center display. So per the feeeback, I picked up a skin from 12 inch skinz, and it has worked out perfectly. I got silver colored skin in a brushed metal finish, and now the unit is very well protected. 👍

Again, I am fortunate that everything worked out. I’ll post some photos later. Thank you, All, and have a great weekend. 👊

dzudoan 0 votes