Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

Not enough Space on USB - but there is!

Hi,

I tried to update my USB with new tracks ad its saying there isn't enough space on my usb. So I deleted a bunch of playlists to be synced and its still saying no space - there definitely should be though!

Is there something I can do?

Thanks

AylaDJ

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

7 commentaires

I have also had this problem. Unfortunately it seems you have to delete everything (or a lot of stuff) already on the USB and then you can sync.

My guess is Rekordbox doesn't calculate the difference in storage between the unsynced/synced files. Like if you have 15GB of total files on your computer - and 10 of those GBs have already been synced to USB, it will still give you an error if you don't have 15GB of free space on your USB. Whereas it really only requires 5GB of extra space. That's just my guess from trying to figure it out myself. Either way, it's a pretty silly bug.

Alex B 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Thanks for your feedback. 

I had removed playlists to sync (unticked playlists so there was less to sync and fit more music onto the USB) but still having the same issue - 'not enough space on the disc'. 

When you say 'delete everything' - am I manually deleting everything off the USB by going directly to the USB storage and folders, rather than removing the playlists/tunes via rekordbox?

Just want to make sure as I feel I have done this before - deleted everything and it still wouldn't let me add more tunes. 

Thanks,

Ayla. 

AylaDJ 0 votes

Simply removing / deleting the files doesn't always remove them from the drive; for example, if you delete files through the macOS Finder and don't empty the trash, they're not "on" the drive, but the space they occupied is not freed as they're held in the trash on that drive for possible restoration.

Please try formatting the drive.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse, that is not the case with flash media like USB drives. The data is deleted completely and permanently from the partition without being moved to the trash. You might also be confused with optical drives, which leave the data on the disc but delete them from the file index so they can be overwritten. Again, with flash drives that is not the case.

Furthermore, the files even aren't being "deleted" like you're referring to. They are (in theory) being "unsynced" by the SYNC MANAGER, which's primary purpose is to  managing the data appropriately and clearly should not leave missing data falsely indexed on the USB drive so that users are presented with false errors.

Formatting the drive is the only fix at this point. But STARTING FROM SCRATCH is obviously a very crude and undesirable workaround, and not even a solution to the problem. Do you want to format your computer or phone every time there's a bug? I bet not. This bug needs to be referred to and fixed by the technical team.

Alex B 0 votes

@Alex > It depends on the operating system, because I can tell you for certain that my SD cards and USB drives all behave the same way; keeping files on them after "deletion" until the trash is emptied.

If you are unwilling to try this as a fix, then that's fine - I've provided a solution that I know works.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse thanks for your attention. Unfortunately, formatting the USB drive is not a solution to the problem. It's simply a crude recovery method (to a problem which shouldn't be happening in the first place) not to mention a poor user experience.

If the unsynced files are erroneously taking up space on the drive, and thus preventing other wanted files from being synced, then the Sync Manager is clearly inefficient and flawed.

If instead you say that emptying the trash bin is the solution, then please answer this (I'm a Windows user.): On Mac OS, when you unsync songs in the Sync Manager, do they end up in the trash bin? If no, then empying the trash is not a solution. (On Windows that is certainly not the case.) If so, it would be a less serious problem, but still only a workaround at best, and not a solution to the serious inefficiency.

The Sync Manager should handle everything. This shouldn't be an issue in the first place. It should just work.

Alex B 0 votes

Sorry I just went back and read my first response.

I think we are understanding the problem wrong. It's actually much more simple. There aren't even any files being deleted. It happened when only trying to sync new playlists. Please do go back and read my original reply.

I'll try to reproduce the bug and maybe I can offer more information.

Alex B 0 votes