Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

Rekordbox playlist sizes much bigger than itunes playlist size

Hi friends, i have this really annoying problem that started with latest update.

The playlist sizes (gb) on rekordbox are almost double than the playlist sizes on iTunes. Because of this now music wont fit on USB drives.

Any ideas what could be going on? I tried everything, reinstall, older versions, nothing works.

Pablo Sánchez

Commentaire officiel

@Pablo > If the engineers aren't able to sort it out, I'm sorry but there's not much I can add. I personally don't use iTunes for reasons like this; I prefer to manage my music in a way that I can control and understand what's going on.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

11 commentaires

rekordbox doesn't transcode audio files, but it does have to export the grid / waveform / album artwork data (which is not very big), so I'm not sure why it might be "doubling" the data.

Does this only happen when you're trying to update a USB drive? Have you tried formatting the drive to export the playlists from scratch?

Pulse 0 votes

No. Its iTunes playlist inside of Rekordbox. Its not about the USB drive, its that the playlist are much bigger inside rekordbox than they are in iTunes.

One folder of playlists is 27 gb in iTunes and the same folder is 55gb in rekordbox.

I reinstalled, installed prior versions, nothing happens. This is very strange and starting to worry me since i need to sync my usb drives to travel.

box

Pablo Sánchez 0 votes

Yeah unfortunately they basically ended up telling me they dont know why and they dont know how to fix it.

So only workaround is expend more money on bigger capacity usb drives to load all this double files generated by rekordbox. Very annoying.

Pablo Sánchez 0 votes

Is the source of that audio file on the USB drive itself? And then you're exporting it back to the drive?

Pulse 0 votes

Hi, please see support ticket (#126672). Long exchange of emails and very detailed explanation of the problem, unfortunately with no solution provided.

Pablo Sánchez 0 votes

The problem is not itunes. The size on itunes playlists is correct. Rekordbox is doubling the size. Its not a minor issue.

Pablo Sánchez 0 votes

When I looked through the ticket text I saw that it's due to a calculation of the playlist based on the allocation of space because the song is counted twice, and they are working to improve it.

But again, a solution would be to just bring the music into rekordbox directly - you can even drag-and-drop from iTunes into rekordbox and this isn't an issue.

Pulse 0 votes

Sorry thats not an easy solution when you have all your lists and folders organized on itunes for years already. I hope they do come with a solution at some point. 

The rekordbox/itunes synchronisation worked perfectly for years untiuil one of the recent updates.

Pablo Sánchez 0 votes

Hopefully they'll get it resolved soon, sometimes it's just a simple math error or they allowed for the extra space for one thing, but it backfired for another.

They're constantly updating and improving things... for the longest time if the export device was the source, it would RE-EXPORT the same song to the device! Now, it says "Hey, that's the source, we'll just link the file" so exports take a fraction of the time when your entire library is on an external USB drive. :)

Pulse 0 votes