Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Please make your DJ mixers audio & midi class compliant

I noticed that recently released Pioneer mixers are all lacking class compliant sound cards and MIDI. And I think, so do your DJM mixers except some of the entry-level ones.

My older generation DDJ-SX2 does still provide this class compliant support.

This means I need proprietary drivers and I rely on Pioneer's support policy. Also These products lack support for iOS devices that could otherwise be used in place of a laptop or as a backup solution.

At the same time, I don't see any technical reason why this should be as your older mixers did provide that and competitor mixers with similar features (on-jog screens or dual USB sound cards) still provide class compliant firmware.

As we can notice, you have just issued a warning that the "proprietary" drivers you provide aren't working with Catalina.

Guess what, my SX2 does, because it's class compliant. So as you can guess, I'll be sticking with it and consider other brands the day I will replace it. Also never considered DJM because of this annoying issue.

Jay Neural Répondu

Commentaire officiel

There are a few reasons our engineers choose to use hardware requiring drivers, including advanced control over the audio ins/outs. Unfortunately, yes, this means they can't be used with iOS devices, but that's not their intention.

Thank you for your feedback.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

4 commentaires

Thank you, I really appreciate you took time to answer to my request which is also one of those a bit challenging.

NAMM 2020 has showed that competitors kept embracing class compliant audio and MIDI, though making products very similar to Pioneer's, with same features at least (dual audio interface, built-in hub, Serato support, performance features).

I definitely believe you have to respond in this area. I'm sure your engineers are busy trying to bring their drivers to new versions of Windows/macOS every single year, why not giving back the responsibility to Apple who defined these specs and provide an good ASIO driver on Windows ? And then using this free time to innovate ?

Unlike musicians who often care more about the actual instrument than the computer they may connect it to, many DJs are fully digital and quite tech savvy. That makes them early adopters so they don't like being stuck in the last year's OS.

BTW, I see that the new DJM V10 has MIDI, any chance its USB audio interface and USB MIDI are class compliant ? Would be a good start.

Jay Neural 1 vote

No, the V10 certainly is not class-compliant and does require drivers as well.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for your clarification.

Then certainly, it would need at least a "generic driver" mode, or just end up having a firmware presenting class compliant interfaces like any other manufacturer does right now.

Otherwise it would be a mistake, even for a club to spend 3 grand on a proprietary driver dependant mixer...

Probably all the features I have ever dreamed of on a mixer but because of this, it's probably not for me.

Jay Neural 0 votes