Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

6 abonnés S’abonner

Rekordbox 5.8.0 DDJ-1000 levels wrong?

Hi, 

Following the latest update the trims seem to be all wrong on my channels, i.e the channel will be clipping and distorted but will still be nicely in the green on the channel itself, anyone else finding this? It's as though the trim on the channel is suddenly out of whack and it's saying it's fine when actually it should be in the red prompting you to trim it down a bit. 

Joe

JOEV Répondu

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

18 commentaires

I already have 1.07 firmware, the issue has only just started since installing 5.8.0 software.

JOEV 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Hmmm, I'll pass this to the rekordbox team for comment. Thanks for the feedback.

Pulse 0 votes

Awesome thanks, channel indicators working normally again now I've gone back to 5.7. 

JOEV 0 votes

Thanks for the confirmation, hopefully our team can get that sorted!

Pulse 0 votes

Hi,

No since 5.8 the channel level meter are for the fist time good !

The last RED is for 0 to -3 DBFS real level of the track after HEADROOM and AUTOGAIN

The first red : -3 to -6 DBFS

the last yello -6dBFS to -9 DBFS.

Checked with TEST TONE calibrated (1000 hz) , at 0DBFS , -1 DBFS ...... -12 DBFS

BEFORE the level wad +6dB to high.....

Just do  this test :

Set the HEADROOM to -3 dB with no autogain :

the channel meter go with the first red (limit at -3DBFS)

At -6 of headroom : the last yellow :)

and with full led : 0 DBFS.

It's calibrated.

Before full led : + 6DBFS.

Joseph : check with DBFS tone !!!

5.8 : CHANNEL METER FOR the first time very good 

Olivier Frappier 0 votes

no Problems so far with 5.8 finally correct Level meters. i think you should check your headroom Settings. 

Daniel Ventura 0 votes

Hi,

Yes, since version 5.8, the channel level meter is working -

Thanks Pioneer ! and great engineers team

Here is how it works in the correct way, perfectly, between DDJ1000 and RKB 5.8 ( (5.7,5.6,5.x.....  were wrong)

Olivier Frappier 0 votes

HI Joe,

And don't forget to set headroom to -3/-6 or -9, and set the master volume knob of DDJ1000 at 12 a'clock or 13. ( the real master hardware volume of DDJ1000 at 12/13 clock don't clip the DAC, vhen each channel master reach 0dBFS, the limit)

Olivier Frappier 0 votes

@Olivier, can you please confirm if also this issue has been resolved https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043161751-Pulse-good-news-i-have-found-the-bug-that-causes-audio-quality-issues since you started that thread.

Do we still have to manually delete the rekordbox3.settings xml file or any other file or ar the settings and audio quality ok out of the box.

Also cand you please share what headroom value do you use to be on the safe side.

As i recall the default value of headroom setting has changed with various rekordbox updates. At first it was indeed -9 by default but latest updates the default became 0db

Razvan Dagadita 0 votes

@Rasvan :

1) Channel Meter : fixed but an option to calibrate channel level meter in settings, function of Headroom used is welcome :) (an idea)

2) phase quality audio : fixed

3) but recording level : not fixed :

The USB 11/12 feedback  of DDJ1000, with TRIM at 0 /without eq. and effects, add + 0,94 dB, so +1 dB.

And the recording level by default work only with a HEADROOM of - 9 dB in settings :

Real - 9 dBFS audio become in 11/12 and recording - 8.06 dBFS (+1 dB)

And if you choose an Headroom of - 6db :

Recording level is boosted at + 4 dB :

(+3+1)

And if you choose an Headroom of - 3dB :

Recording level is boosted at + 7dB !

So the recorded have to problems :

+0.94 dB from USB 11/12 DDJ1000 feedback 

and is you choose headroom of -6 dB or -3 dB, (the recorded level is compressed at +3/+6 and with the other 11/12 bur +4/+6)

So develooppers have to verify that RECORDED level internal default settings mach the Headroom setiings choosen by the user....

Measured with loopback virtual drivers with 32 bits float precision.... (Bit perfect driver...) and peak/rms software plugs, and .wav comparator....

Thanks,

Regards,

Olivier F

Olivier Frappier 0 votes

@Olivier,

I can say without a doubt that i am very confused, so to reiterate:

1) https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043161751-Pulse-good-news-i-have-found-the-bug-that-causes-audio-quality-issues

This thread was about some xml setting file storing corrupt data which messed up the audio. Is this fixed, meaning can i change any of the settings stored in this file without issues?

2) I don't understand what you mean by "phase quality audio : fixed"

3) I was asking what headroom value should we set so that the signal is not clipping

4) Regarding recording levels. Are you trying to say that recording is only done properly when headroom is set to -9 and for higher values recording gets compressed? Is this issue present independent of the recording volume knob value or just for 12'o clock which is default recording volume.

5) I don't understand what you mean by "The USB 11/12 feedback of DDJ1000"

6) What levels are actually being measured by the leds dB or dBFS 

7) Unclear if Headroom setting affects channel levels or master levels

8) My current DDJ-1000 settings i think were set with 0db headroom and the channel level meters had 3 orange leds with the trim set at 11o'clock as this seems to be the default behaviour of Pioneer Mixers. But now i'm thinking i might be distorting at times without realising...

As a final note of you could explain a bit more in depth as i am sure this issue is quite confusing for a lot of people. Sorry for the long post but i felt it was important to clarify all these things.

Thank you in advance

Razvan Dagadita 0 votes

Hi,

read the definition of dBFS :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBFS

and USB 11/12 are the driver input of DDJ1000 (ASIO 11/12 in windows, CORE AUDIO 11/12 in OSX), that allow to record from the DDJ1000 mix. DDJ1000 -> USB -> DRIVER > PB/MAC -> input 11/12 (easy to see in Audacity)

I can send you professional dBFS test files, if you want.

Don't use 0dB of Headroom.

Use -3/-6/-9

So, i've opened a inquiry ticket for the recording level, engineers will understand.

Regards,

Olivier F.

Olivier Frappier 0 votes

Soo my bad i was using -9db of headroom and with the trim knob at 11 o’clock i had 3 orange lights, now with new software and firmware and -9db had to crank the trim between 12 and 1, adjusted headroom to -6 and now trim know at 11 o’clock shows 3 orange leds. Is this a correct and safe setting? The majority of pioneer mixer have good output at 11 o’clock trim no neet to crank it to 1 o’clock and that’s what i am trying to reproduce on my controller. Is this a correct assumption?

Later edit:

I had the chance to test the above settings live. With headroom set at -6db and with trim at 11 o'clock i have 3 orange leds for mp3 and with trim at 12 o'clock for wav's i have 3 orange lights. Sound is good and powerfull, no apparent distorsion. Seems to sound better overall, don't know if it has to do with headroom or other things but final result seems good.

Razvan Dagadita 0 votes

@Olivier >

Reading the comments in this thread I've seen a link to a previous post of yours where you said that when the headroom level was changed from the default -9  to another value the rekordbox3.settings file got corrupted and audio issue occurred.

Your answer to Razvan's question about this issue was not so clear. Are you saying now that this issue has been fixed and changing the headroom level 1) doesn't affect the rekordbox3.settings file and 2) doesn't affect the audio quality any longer?

Pigi G 0 votes

@Pigi

After carefully threading through Olivier's posts the issue with the rekordbox3.settings file was not due to headroom settings but due to other audio settings as different soundcards or controllers, etc. However after experimenting myself i found that if you indeed remove that settings file the headroom440 value initializez with -1 (which in this case represents default value) but if you manually change the headroom setting from rekordbox to -6db and then to -9db back the value stored in the settings file is 4 because 4 is the value corresponding to -9db in the dropdown in rekordbox. No audio issues with either value in settings file meaning no matter if you have -1 or 4 for headroom440 node the value displayed in rekordbox will be -9db. However with new firmware and rekordbox i have found -6db to be a more suitable value for my DDJ-1000. The sound now seems richer somehow (perhaps because it's a little bit louder than before ex: mp3 set with channel trim at 11 o'clock headroom -6db -> 3 orange flashing lights.

So to sum up and answer your questions, the headroom setting never affected audio quality so you can rest assured everything is ok at least on my side. Hope my explanation makes sense :D

Razvan Dagadita 0 votes