Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Total Size of a Playlist folder (with sub-folders) incorrect

Hi Pioneer team,

An error that has been part of Rekordbox since I started using it in 2015:

In EXPORT mode:

When you have a Playlist folder, with sub-folders and various playlists in those sub-folders, the Total Size of the Playlist folder indicates all the playlists sizes added together, even though there are the same tracks in a lot of those playlists.
I will try to explain it with this example:

Say you have for example playlists structured as follows:

> DJ Sets            (this is a folder)
          > Event 1       (this is a folder)
                 > Early Tracks      (this is a playlist with 1 GB of tracks)
                 > Late Tracks       (this is a playlist with 1 GB of tracks)
          > Event 2       (this is a folder)
          > Event 3       (this is a folder) 

When you click on the master folder (DJ Sets)  on bottom right of the screen it will then indicate the total Lists and Data Size of all the items in that folder as "6 Lists, 6 GB"

But in fact it is not 6GB in total, because you have various instances where one specific track is in more than one playlist, but Rekordbox counts every playlists almost as a separate playlist, if you guys understand what I mean.

Maybe something that can be checked and fixed by the engineers on the next update...?

This is not a major issue, just more of a irritation when trying to determine the total data size of a specific folder with lots of sub folders and playlists sharing the same tracks. 

The picture below shows a specific folder that I clicked on is 86.1GB in total, but then when I export that exact folder to a flash-drive, it only consumes maybe 50GB of space on the flash drive... 

Armand Répondu

Commentaire officiel

I get ya. The way it reports the total size is exactly as you've noted - the sum of the sizes of the files within that playlist, and then the sum of all playlists within that folder. It does not take into account the total size of the files on the drive where there may be overlap. That would be more processor-intensive to try and calculate, and it isn't a problem for exporting as a song which has already been exported from playlist 1 won't need to be exported again when it's found in playlist 3.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

2 commentaires

Hi Pulse, 

Thank you for the quick response to the above. 

Yeah, that might be a bit tricky to calculate the the total size on the drive, taking into consideration tracks that appear in a few playlists...  

What I anyway normally do is I just look at how much space is left on the flash-drive after exporting a folder, then I can see how big the folder actually was. But as I said it's not a major problem :) Just thought I'd share it with you guys. 

Have a good weekend!

Armand 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien