Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

3 abonnés S’abonner

Fixing Beat Grid - Where to place the grid?

Hi All,

I've been having problems looping some tracks on CDJ2000nxs2, as they always seem to run out of sync.  I'm trying to fix the beatgrid on some tracks.  In Rekordbox, when addjusting the grid, should the Red/white marker lines be placed on the highiest point of the wave form for the beat, and forget about any attack?

Gavin Crossan

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

3 commentaires

I'd put it back like 1 notch; yo can see the leading edge of the blue (bass) just ahead of the position you're currently at.

Pulse 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

...but realistically, as long as you're consistent, it doesn't matter.

Pulse 0 votes

It all depends on the track. Sometimes you need to be upfront, sometimes exactly at the edge, sometimes after. For some music, it can even be that what seems to be the downbeat, is actually not the downbeat (depending on the drum pattern).

The best advice i can give you: listen to the song and tap along. You could even make a small part of the beatgrid by hand, then enable the metronome (or mix it) to verify it is sharp on the beat. Based on what you hear, you can adjust and try again. If it sounds on beat, it is on beat, simple as that. Even if it looks a little "off" from the visualization.

For modern electronic music, it usually is sufficient to do this procedure for the beginning of the track (the beatgrid will propagate just fine). For older music (soul, disco, etc.) the beat is not fixed (a drummer is not a robot ;)), it would require manual labour from the beginning until the end of the song. In that case you have to make a choice: is it worth all the effort? An alternative is to beatgrid just a small part of the intro and outro, and to apply a loop on those parts when mixing. Or beatmatch by ear of course and make those adjustments live on the spot.

Pim 0 votes