Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

2 abonnés S’abonner

Question about DDJ-400/rekordbox and streaming services

Good day everyone, the parents of one of my students have approached me about getting her a beginning DJ setup for the holidays. I'm thinking of recommending this DDJ-400 package which includes almost everything she needs to get started and is within their budget range. I initially started DJing using a custom setup in Ableton, and now use a Traktor/NI setup, so I'm not personally familiar with Pioneer/rekordbox. I want to make sure I give them the best recommendation and fully explain what they'll be getting, and what they still need to get everything functioning, so there's no unexpected costs or surprises.

On that note, my question is regarding what version of rekordbox would come with the license included in purchase of this system. In addition to a small library of offline music (including tracks that she's produced herself), the student will primarily be using SoundCloud to stream tracks from her Microsoft Surface Pro 7 (from the specs I have on her Surface, this should be compatible with the rekordbox software), so she needs to have a setup that will enable the streaming support. From what I can tell online, it appears that only version 6 or higher support streaming, but the website selling the bundle mentions version 5.3. I'm not sure if this is just an outdated product description that hasn't been updated? On rekordbox's website under plans, it indicates that "Hardware Unlock devices" include streaming support for free. And in the FAQs it states that "The following devices are Hardware Unlock devices for rekordbox ver. 6" and the DDJ-400 is included in the following list. However it then says further down in the same FAQ, that "You can't activate rekordbox ver. 6 using a rekordbox dj license key. You'll need to start a subscription plan for ver. 6 if you want to use the latest version of the application." The beginner package I linked at the start of my post, says it includes a rekordbox DJ license key. Based on everything I've read, this should be a Hardware Unlock device and should give her access to the version of rekordbox that supports streaming. But the product website talks about version 5.3 and the rekordbox FAQs also say that a rekordbox DJ license key does NOT give access to version 6? Is this not conflicting information or am I missing something?

I would definitely appreciate any insight into what version of rekordbox she'll actually receive with the linked package, whether she will need to upgrade to one of the subscription tiers (and if so which one), to get things running smoothly. Of course I understand she'll need to register separate subs with any compatible streaming service she wants to use, so that's fine. I'm just not clear about the rekordbox component, and I'd like to be able to give a concrete recommendation that fully encapsulates all the costs they'll incur to get her spinning tracks when she receives her present. Thank you!!

The Balance King Répondu

Commentaire officiel

Hi Andrew,

The DDJ-400 unlocks rekordbox 6, no purchase is required.

Streaming services (Tidal, SoundCloud, Beatport, Beatsource) are available in rekordbox 6, subscriptions to those services are required as desired.

Pulse
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

2 commentaires

Thank you so much for that clarification, I've let her parents know that everything is good to go with this system. I can't wait to start helping my students get setup and learn how to use it!

The Balance King 0 votes
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien