Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

Publication

4 abonnés S’abonner

Walkthrough Guide for Lighting Mode

I’m using the RB-DMX1 with a DDJ-800 controller and have limited experience. I have 4 moving heads (2 spots and 2 wash) and a Par Bar, all successfully loaded into Rekordbox. Should I use the “simple” settings for these?

I have experimented a little without getting into the background by changing the content of scenes etc, but to be honest I’m a little lost! The guidance in the downloaded manuals gets too deep and I fear it would take a long time to edit all 600+ songs in the collection to improve the effects.

I find the “out of the box” setups from the tracks phrase analysis can be very similar and would like them to be more exciting.

So the question is whether there is a “dummies guide” available to help me and others to improve their performance?

Rob

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.

8 commentaires

Unfortunately, no. RB Lighting has a ton of missing features, lacks documentation as well as support.

For this, you have a few options. You can go into lighting mode and modify the existing scenes. I think there are 7 or 8 (hot, warm, cool, vivid, etc) and each of those have a low/med/high version. So if there are 8 variants, you will have 24 different scenes. One thing that will make a big difference is for you to go in and assign a scene to each song as opposed to using whatever RB decides to assign it. I noticed that almost all of my songs were getting set as "cool/high" so the sets looked very similar. Simply going in and changing the songs to use a different preset will be a big boost. Couple that with modifying the scenes (change colors, change mover patters, etc), that will add a lot to what you have.

The other alternative is to create your own scenes. In the scene selection area, you will see an option to create a blank template that you can customize. Be warned, this is going to a have a ton of rows for almost every possible fixture type, so it might be easier to CLONE one of the existing scenes.

What I have also done, for some songs, is go in and customize the light mapping data for that specific song. For this, I started with an assigned scene and modified it to fit the music perfectly. 

Andrew Langsdon 1 vote
Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

HI Andrew,

Thanks for the advice, I can get in to the scene editor and modify the bank from the drop down menu (hot, cool, natural etc) but I can not see how to change the mood? There is no drop down menu for this setting which seems to be set on "mid" for all the tracks.

Rob 0 votes

I made a video walkthrough / tutorial / demo right when it launched

https://youtu.be/lyZ5DOwiXRs

the first half may be useful as a tutorial.

sadly, since it's launch years ago not much has changed.  They are allowing DMX overrides now which you can use to switch gobos. A more intuitive approach would be welcomed.  Interestingly, in the official pioneer RB-DMX1 video they clearly show gobos the moving heads with a gobo!

DJ Chase 1 vote

Great video. Do you have any links or info on how to use the DMX overrides for gobo control?

Andrew Langsdon 0 votes

Thanks DJ Chase, great guidance in your video. 

This may sound a bit weird but do you know if there’s a way to use the RB-DMX1 with just one fixture. If you refer to my original post you’ll see that I have several, however when performing in a small room I would like to use only one fixture, the KAM par bar. The default track analysis is applied to several fixtures so the par lights are blacked out for a lot of the time.

I appreciate that I could just pull the dmx and use the fixture in sound active mode but this somewhat defeats the object of spending several hundred dollars on the interface?

Rob 0 votes

@Rob > The problem with a single fixture is you're basically saying that you only have one type of light where the "show" is designed for multiple fixture types being used together. Believe me, the first time I fired up lighting mode with only my moving head lights connected, I was disappointed in the show. It was only after connecting some pars and bars that I had the full experience.

There's also currently no edit for the mood, but we're aware of the demand to change that.

@Andrew > To use the overrides, you need to know on which channel the fixture receives the gobo command, and then what value will be which gobo you want. Then you can enter that information in the lighting overrides here:

You would set the "on" value as the gobo, and the "off" value as zero so it resets back to the default value when you click the override item on/off.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse, thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for and I was able to map the gobo settings here! I have been looking to do this for some time and it's been driving me mad!

I have 2 follow up questions...

1. Is it possible to get more than 3 selections here? If not, do you know if there are any plans to add more?
  2. Is it possible to trigger these 3 selections/banks within the lighting editor itself?
Andrew Langsdon 0 votes

Pulse/Andrew thank you for the information.

However I’m still unsure as to how I do this, is it controlled through pad editor or the main lighting page?

Rob 0 votes