Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 follower Segui

How to change the key without changing the tempo

Hi all.

I have been wondering if it is possible to change to key on either the DJM-2000 or the CDJ-2000 without changing the tempo.

I now the zip effect on the DJM, but I need a more detailed way to change to the key.

It would be great if there's some way on the CDJ-2000 that you can change the key without changing the tempo.

Anyone? :-)

Alfe Hougaard Sletved

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

19 commenti

im pretty sure master tempo on the cdj 2000 does that.  so normally if you move the pitch fader up and down it will affect both tempo and key. now say you have song 1 at 128 bpm and song 2 at 128 bpm, but song 2 is in a key that does not match song 1's key. so, you raise the pitch to a key that matches song 1, however unfortunately song 2 is now at 131 bpm  due to increasing the pitch. Now you hit master tempo and the cdj will keep the key of  song 2 when its at 131bpm but now you can adjust the bpm back down to 128bpm without affecting the key you thought sounded best with song 1. its alot easier to show this then to explain so here is a video i found. if you skip more towards the end it shows exactly what i am explaining.

http://youtu.be/FfYIqG2ulcw 

joshomatic 0 voti
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Ehm.. Your link is wrong as you can see, and I have tried a lot of times to do as you are explaining here, but it is not working.

Could you retype your link and explain a little bit more exactly what I have to do?

Thank you

Alfe Hougaard Sletved 0 voti

@Josh Hashimoto: this is not how the mastertempo works, when active it keeps the originalkey- when the tempo is changed, the thing you are describing is referred to as keylock  and is not a fuction availiable on the cdj 2000 (the name mastertempo is a bit misleading i think but its been called this since for since it was introduced) 

ebbo! 0 voti

@Josh: He dosen't change the key without the tempo at anytime in the video.. But thank you for the help anyway :-)

@ebbo!: Are you sure that there's no way to do this on a CDJ-2000?

Alfe Hougaard Sletved 0 voti

if you pitch up to maximum and then activate mastertempo it will jump back to its original key, it will not lock the key were it was when pressed, dont know why he says it will  because it doesent .. not on my players (cdj2k) cant imagine that it would on the cdj800 either.. the master tempo is for pitching and pitchbending without going away from the tracks masterkey. and yes i am pretty shure you cant do what you want  other than with the zip effect and then only lower the key, i wish there was a way though!

ebbo! 0 voti

dang well i was just going off of that video  cuz i only use my friends cdj 1000mk3s(i use a controller setup with djm900) occasionally and i was gonna try it the next time i got a chance to use them. I think that would be a cool feature to add for the next firmware update for the cdj2000/900's. it would make mixing in key a lot easier. but then easier kind of takes away from the fun of djing.

joshomatic 0 voti

yes i agree! but i dont think it will happen.. maybe on the future pioneer djplayers..(wich will probably cost as much as a small house or brand new car or something) i cannot understand why he is saying that in the end of that video? he must have noticed himself that it doesnt work that way or else he must be completely tone deaf, i dont believe that feature has been implemented on the cdj800 and not on later prolevel players, i havent tried the 800 so i dont know for shure..

ebbo! 0 voti

The DJM-800 can do this, and was even marketed as a special mixer which allowed harmonic mixing. Apparently is was everything but a big success since non of the new products got this feature. And correct they are, I've tested this several times in mix sessions and also with Ableton Live which does allow you to transpose a song more controlled and the result: It sounds horrifying! Transposing a song only one semitone makes it sound unnatural. It is only interesting for songs which have very low key information, in which case you might even no longer need it.

In my opinion you should try to avoid the need for changing the song key by simply filling gaps with small samples or songs. This way you avoid that your audience has to listen to a song that sounds off to them, while they can't point out why exactly.

House Container 0 voti

im aware of this, but he asked for the djm2000/cdj2000, i dont use mastertempo and by not doing so im changin key on tracks all the time but never below originalkey, in my opinion changing key up may even make the track better ,if not  changed to much of course..guess it would be the same for a locked tempo/key change feature it would widen the possibilities for harmonic mixing..

ebbo! 0 voti

The DJM-800 has a 'Harmonic' colour effect to change the key of a track without affecting the tempo.  However it's absolute crap and Pioneer rightly dropped it and didn't include it any other mixers.

Mark90 0 voti

But the Pitch effect is still hiding on the mixer!  Can you find it?  ;)

Pulse 0 voti

to change key on the CDJ you need to change the pitch- or use MT...

Jay 0 voti

The zip effect on the mixer is the only way to do it. Just zip it to whatever pitch you want to hear and use the standard beat effect to modify the frequencies. Pretty damn easy.

Dj IceCream 0 voti

@Morgo > Nope, that's a beat-linked effect.  I'm talking a regular ol' pitch effect.  ;)

@IceCream > The zip kinda alters the pitch, but the quality isn't as good because the parameters change so quickly.

@Alfe > The best way to do this would be to change the track in advance.

Pulse 0 voti

@Pulse I think a great advantage for the cdjs will be:

• To change the key of tracks with the CDJ's, with the possibility to select several algorithm, like you can do with Ableton.

Activating change of key can be arranged in the display window, under the menu.

To select the correct algorithm can be arranged in the display the same as you select the several loop lengths.

The rotary knob you can use to change the key and press it to confirm.

Of course you should hear the change of alrorithm at once when selected.

And it will be nice if there will be an arrangement with the makers of Mixed In Key to implemend key recognition in rekord box.

I think when you join forces of a special agreement you can beat the competition in the market. Think out of the box. 

Manuel Bevers 0 voti

@Pulse I've found where in the DJM 2000 in the touchscreen there is the 'Sidechain' section and the 'Manual' section one appearing in red and the other in purple. There I see two pitch buttons and I've fiddled with them soooo much and the effect is never a simple, clean, key change. For example I'm working with a track in A minor and I need to raise it a half-step to B-flat minor without adding any sort of other rhythmic or whatever distortion/sounds. How can this be accomplished on the DJM 2000? Thank you.

nymble digitz 0 voti