Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 follower Segui

Rekordbox touch screen / gestures compatibility

I tested Rekordbox v1.5 with a touch screen today, under Windows 7, but it didn't perform as I had hoped. The up and down flick gesture (for scrolling) doesn't work in the collection pane and when selecting the music search box the on screen keyboard option doesn't appear. Granted; the on screen keyboard can be summoned in other ways and scrolling the collection pane can be done by using the scroll bar on the right but it just doesn't make for a great touch experience.

Controlling Rekordbox with a touch screen would be phenominal in a fixed set up (like I have at home) and it seems like a minor change / addition to the application. Without the need for a mouse and keyboard at my DJ set up, Rekorbox's "wow" factor would be even higher than it already is.

Are there any plans to make Rekordbox touch screen compatible in the future?

Ivor Con risposta

Commento ufficiale

Sorry, the GUI is not optimized for touch interface as the intention is for the software to be used with a hardware controller - the display simply provides information, but your feedback is always welcomed and considered for future updates.

Pulse
Azioni per commenti Permalink

Accedi per aggiungere un commento.

14 commenti

Hi,

as this is a very old Suggestion I want to refresh the idea. On gigs I am running rekordbox on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and it is a pain to scroll through tracks as gestures are not supported.

As more and more touch Screens are out there - and Pioneer introduced them as well to their products - it would be logic to think of gesture Support in rekordbox.

I am wondering how this works in the TOUR1 products. I cannot imagine that Scrolling through tracks with your finger is as painful as it is for Standard rekordbox today.

Any comment apprechiated.

Frank Richter 1 voto

Is anything new on this? I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro and it would be nice to make the Rekordbox interface more touchnfriendly or have a touch option like Virtual DJ does???

DJ Phil the Thrill 1 voto

Hello recordboxDJ Support Team!

I have a Surface Pro 4 too and  I would use it with touch screen.
Like it was said before, the touch gestures support is terrible under recordboxDJ software.
Here are some of the problems:
if I go to search field of track list the virtual keyboard isn't available immediately.
The scrolling (two fingers touch gesture) in the song list isn't possible.
I use your software with DDJ-RX controller, but often I have setups only with CDJs+DJM and my Surface Pro. And I would use the Surface on modern way, without EXTRA keyboard!!!
Please make your great software touch optimized !
Can you give me short response about my request?
Kinds regards
DJ Demon

Sascha Demon 1 voto

As you aware, Rekordbox has not been developed with touch screen functionality in mind.

Having said that, I will suggest it to the development team but I do not expect it to be on their list of priorities.

Gavin 0 voti

@Sascha > As I previously posted, the rekordbox software is designed to work in tandem with a hardware controller. I understand your desire to have the other functions working (eg. scrolling) as if you were using a mouse ... but isn't that what the scroll knob on the DDJ-RX is for in the first place? I get the keyboard thing, since the Surface can be used without an external hardware keyboard, I'm not certain on where this falls into the programming, but if you have tapped into the search field, I would expect Windows is what's set to detect that you're in "tablet mode" and pop up the keyboard. Unless there's some code within rekordbox that overrides that functionality, I would expect it's up to Windows.

Pulse 0 voti

Hi Pulse,
thanx for quick response!
Even tested on my Surface and recordboxDJ 4.3.1.
The Surface is in 'Tablet mode', recordbox is in Fullscreen view.
And this is no chance to get running the virtual keyboard with simply tapping into the searching field.
So I can't write nothing in the search field.
The second problem scrolling.
Instead scrolling, the finger touch moves a track from one row to another or
even to the player deck.
And how I wrote before,
I use very often recordboxDJ without my controller! My usually setup is then:
DJM-750 and 2x CDJ-850. Although the CDJ-850 has a scroll knob, but the display is no-LCD screen,
so searching and scrolling is better to do in the software on a big Surface Screen!

Sascha Demon 0 voti

I think it likely has something to do with the way the unit is interpreting a touch - I know I've used my iPad with a display extender (Duet) and I'm able to scroll as expected. I'm not familiar with the touch-options on the Surface, but can you change how it responds within the Windows settings?

Pulse 0 voti

Even tested with duet display extender..
no scrolling on iPad and no on Surface, no chance!
What was your system setup as you tested it?
And no, this is no touch screen settings on surface itself.
I think, Pioneer should make an update to recordbox for touch optimizing.

Sascha Demon 0 voti

@Phil > Your comment on the video about me "kidding" is vague -- what exactly do you think I'm kidding about? If there's one thing I can't stand, it's someone who criticizes without providing any backing.

Pulse 0 voti

Pulse I bought a $4000 Surface Studio and can't get this to work reliably.

If Rekordbox isn't touch enabled which you said it wasn't ---

"Sorry, the GUI is not optimized for touch interface as the intention is for the software to be used with a hardware controller - the display simply provides information, but your feedback is always welcomed and considered for future updates."

--- then stop kidding around.

I know that there are Alot of requests for advanced features and I am sure touch is not one of the top on the list.

I can say this - NOTHING has happened with Rekordbox for IPAD or IPHONE (Android) to enhance the system.

My vote would be to work on that and I will be happy...

DJ Phil the Thrill 0 voti

Phil, that video was made for Sascha, who asked about using the Duet extender, which is used to provide a secondary display for your computer. This gives rekordbox the ability to "pop-out" the track list, which I have shown - can indeed be scrolled with two fingers, as was asked.

I will say it again: NO, the interface is NOT touch-optimized, but do you know what is? Any of our hardware. It's fully designed to be touched, and almost all of it has the ability to do everything you want to do on screen, without needing to reach for the mouse - or touching the screen.

Don't give me the argument that you bought a $4000 computer to use with software that is NOT designed for use with a touch screen interface. We never said it would.

As I said, and you quoted, the feedback is welcomed and considered for future updates, but that doesn't mean it will be implemented, nor can I say if it will, or when.

Pulse 0 voti

we'd like you guys at pioneer to make touch gestures a priority. 

serato doesn't make it a priority because they claim their users are mostly mac users. with us on the pc platform, we have access to a lot more hardware like touch monitors. so please listen to us. many of us are about to switch sides because serato has quit listening to us..

smartphone like scrolling is much needed in the next major update after you weed out bugs in 5.0.x..

Jay Lib 0 voti